Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Spurgin/Giovanine inspired 1925 Chev roadster build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, May 2, 2010.

1. I met Jimmy and saw his car in person 2 months ago at the Back To Brunswick rod run held at Brunswick Heads here in northern NSW......to say I was impressed with the car and more importantly with Jimmy B himself is an understatement.......a truly gifted and unassuming guy who has built an amazing car, in person I'd swear it was straight out of the 1940's..which was his goal........and BTW has anyone seen his artwork?.........andyd

Attached Files:

Outback, Jet96, Jimmy B and 4 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outback likes this.
  3. It was great meeting you too Andy, thank you for the compliments. Hope you're enjoying the Coupe print set.

My roadster behind Andy's Dodge
    IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

Cheers mate, always great to meet fellow HAMBers & thanks for posting my build on that thread.

Outback, KiwiGlen, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  4. For those that haven't seen The Rodder's Journal did an article on my photo collection, art, roadster and me. I'm very grateful and humbled The Rodder's Journal crew considered me as worthy.

IMG_0228.JPEG IMG_0229.JPEG

Outback, Jet96, KiwiGlen and 10 others like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:... @Jimmy B...double Honor that is...congratulations...

It's great to see you stretching the legs out on the roadster and it's a pleasure sharing your builds and art...

loudbang and Jimmy B like this.
  6. A couple weekend's ago I was invited on the 2nd Gold Coast Reliability Run organised by Josh Jardine, had an awesome time amongst some of the best people & Traditional Hot Rods. Unfortunately my day was cut short, went up a very steep hill and fuel pickup in the tank sucked up a ton of crap, car stopped half way up the hill had issues even after I swapped in a new filter. Turns out the brand new coil was fucked, screw in the top won't tighten which is allowing the oil to escape when coil heats up.
    IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0475.JPG IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0493.JPG IMG_0500.JPG IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0532.JPG IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0539.JPG

Jet96, Outback, tractorguy and 8 others like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you were able to salvage some fun out of it despite some issues...Is this engine that's in your roadster a temp while your working on a more period offering?...and Yeah that's dirty gas alright...:eek:

I seem to remember some discussion about this.

Looks like a great day and gathering for sure...

Jet96 and loudbang like this.
  8. I limped home in 3rd gear, disappointing but just glad I made it home.
    This engine will likely stay but you never know down the track I may change things.

I was getting fuel from the local garage, they let their tanks run low before getting more delivered, which makes me think I picked it up from there.

Was a great day.

tractorguy, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. So that brings me close to being up to date. I have restarted the build of my second Chev roadster, also I bought a '26 T Roadster Pickup, whether that was smart or dumb idea we'll see.

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

Flat pack Chev roadster
    IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

& that is where I'm at. I'm doing a clean up at the moment so won't post anything for a while.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Hotrod Stock Exchange...long term investments...:D

Always room for new adventures long term or short term...get some more cruising in before the season ends...here that is weeks if not days away...

loudbang likes this.
  11. That is why I am buying up what I can now, so I have it and can always pass it on later.

I probably shouldn't boast about the sub-tropical climate then.

Outback, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go ahead rub it in...the Cali crowd is always telling us we can have our igloos...:D

I had some good times out there this year...if you can drive all year that's a big bonus...

Jimmy B and loudbang like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jimmy, Do you know of a source for Body and frame dimensions for '25-'26 Chevy roadsters? Two friends and I ate starting the assembly and need some measurements to shoot for. I can find lots of Ford stuff but not Chevrolet.
    Thanks, Tom

Outback and loudbang like this.
  14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You might try the GM Heritage Center. They have Vehicle Information Kits for the 1925 Chevrolet and 1926 Chevrolet and while I haven't dug deep into those particular documents, sometimes they have that information.

tractorguy, Kume and loudbang like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks, I'll take a look. WOW, I did look and there is a lot there. Still looking for more on roadster body detentions but I'll look more later. Thanks again!

Stogy, Bigcheese327 and loudbang like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JB_AMirage_4.jpg

:rolleyes:...;)

Hope all is well with you and the Family... @Jimmy B

Credit to all that inspired this

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Jimmy B, tomkelly88, Outback and 4 others like this.
  17. mlagusis

mlagusis

Congratulations! What issue of TRJ is that in?

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Matt, we told Jimmy's story in TRJ #81, which you can get here.

loudbang, mlagusis, Jimmy B and 2 others like this.
  19. Thank you! and as Joey said the article he wrote is in issue 81

G'day Joey, thanks again for the great article and privilege of being featured in TRJ.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    loudbang, J.Ukrop and mlagusis like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jimmy B, Hows the Ole Hotrod performing social distancing aside?

loudbang likes this.
  21. Hey @Stogy I haven't actually driven it in over a month, had 3 weeks of rain, so... anyway have a couple minor things to do before I go for a drive. I have spent time building another Chev chassis that I will create a build thread for soon.

ratty_aussie, bct, Dannerr and 5 others like this.