Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's It Worth To You?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasser57!, Sep 28, 2019.

1. gasser57!

gasser57!

Attended an auction today because this car is a local legend my 70+ year old Dad knew growing up in small town Iowa. Thought it may be interesting to see it and possibly buy it. Could not believe it sold for $30k. Of course it's not roadworthy, wiring is shot, and the Cadillac motor would need freshened up. I hear a lot of people moan and groan that this part isn't old school or that part isn't old school on cars they look at during shows, but if that's what old school costs it's no wonder people are moving away from it. So what popular car do you remember most growing up and what would you pay for it. As for me, it's the black '40 Willys coupe with a blown Hemi that used to attend cruise nights I went to and I would cash in one of my investments to own it and cruise with my Dad. After all, it's not the expense spared or spent that's important, but the memories we build with those closest to us are priceless. 20190928_094238.jpeg 20190928_094222.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

reagen, Nailhead A-V8, Stogy and 18 others like this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think 30 is right on the money for that... If I had it, it would be hard to let go of it for that. Too hard to find, and that one looks very good.

3. It's cool, but how far do you take it? Untouched is a fleeting thing.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

All in what trips your trigger .:)

Just Gary likes this.

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Well back in the 50's the Cadillac and Olds V 8 engines were what people were putting into their hot rods. The small block Chevy engines did not come into the pictures until 55 - 56 and later. They were not purists to the flatheads in that time period. Purists to flatheads came after Ford went to overhead engines. So a Cadillac engine is not out of place on an old build. It was original to a 4 cylinder engine anyway.
    I got my license in 53 and somewhere around 56/57 I got a 39 ford coupe with a 265 chevy engine, 3 speed floor 53 ford.jpg shift with 46 ford pickup gears and a Columbia rear end. That was my drag car in the day but the one I really loved was my 53 Ford convertible with a lot of custom body work and the stock flathead & 2 speed ford a matic tranny.
    Jimmie

Boden, Big A, 48fordnut and 13 others like this.
  6. Wow, I guess somebody really wanted it badly. It might have that nostalgic factor going for it but you can probably buy a similar roadster in running condition for not a whole lot more. It would take nearly as much to restore it back as what they paid for it I think.

7. Where were these deep pocket egomaniacs when I was selling.

8. tractorguy

tractorguy

What Iowa town was the auction held in ? Where was it advertised ?

9. All steel 32 roadsters are still very desirable. HRP

Just Gary, Runnin shine, lewk and 4 others like this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well that would be about CDN $45,000 and there is no way in hell I would pay that for that car unless I hit the lottery big time. I'm luck I got my 5W a number of years ago for CDN $2000 with a rebuilt to standard Model B engine and two rebuilt trannies. I know the roadsters are cool but for that amount of cash I could think of five or six cars that would make me happy and cost a lot less. But a fool and his money are soon parted.... Must be the pretty "patina"! LOL

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Some of you don’t get it.

That is a REAL hot rod from the 50’s.

Of course money can be spent elsewhere on other things, you can buy a pretend car with a Brookville body and all the “period correct” parts you want, but it’ll never be a REAL 50’s hot rod.

That little car was some old dudes hot rod, who probably spent his time thumbing through the pages of HOP UP or Hot Rod dreaming of what could be.

It’d be awesome to know the history of it...

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

going back to a recent thread about what price do you consider low budget - we all have our dreams, and some we live through others - this was an opportunity to try to capture a dream that became reality for someone - new owner can decide where this dream will go - saw a chopped '34 Ford 3 window original steel body , with doors, offered for close to $40K at a swap meet - whatever works for you

Hemiman 426 and loudbang like this.
  13. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I'd pay 30g's for that and shove it right straight into another barn to sit until I died. Untouched. That's if I had 30g's to spend.

El Scotto nailed it

14. evidently 2 guys wanted it pretty badly, what a find, thanks for posting.

Stogy and Old wolf like this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Stories like this I find sad and depressing. Many of you will Scream long and loud that this poor thing should remain just as it is , because that's the way it was! No that's how it ended up after decades of being forgotten and neglected! It is a late 50's build, restore it to as built then standards or build something completely new giving her the chance to be another local legend inspiring new generations of hot rod lovers! I think she has suffered in the dark long enough! Larry

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Saw the add in the paper at noon today. A little late to head out to see it. History is what the HAMB is about. Any other interesting things at this auction. Tell us more about the car, it`s owners and the history you know. 2019-09-28_212215.jpg 2019-09-28_212323.jpg

17. I 100% agree with you. I see that car and mind instantly wanders to thinking of how that car looked in 50's when that caddy mill was dropped in. To me leaving these "real" 50's hot rods in this condition really doesn't do the car justice. I am all for taking tons of pictures, notes and cataloging the car so that it is restored back to how it was back in 50's. You see the same thing in the muscle car world with the survivors and the hear the term "its only original once" thing, but when said car was stored poorly and paint is falling off or rust holes are everywhere and the interior is full of mice poop and torn seats, that's not "original".

bchctybob, Moriarity, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Clean, fix what is not working, drive...

19. gasser57!

gasser57!

Yep, we know the guy who built it and he did it all himself.

Stogy and Jalopy Joker like this.
  20. gasser57!

gasser57!

So the guys name was Rudy Johnson. He bought the car from his sister in the mid-50's. He rodded it himself and much of the work was really pretty good. Seems to have been about the only thing he spent money on. For some reason it was titled as a '33, but no one knows the story behind that now. My Dad remembers the car cruising the streets of Bayard. The owner used to visit my Grandpa occasionally, but never stayed long because he said the car got hot if it wasn't moving long. Cool car and I would have loved to have purchased it so my Dad could resurrect it, but just not at that price.

Stogy, stanlow69, j3harleys and 4 others like this.
  21. tractorguy

tractorguy

Who was the lucky buyer ?

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Disassemble, repair, give it a nice single stage paint job, reassemble, sling gravel.

el Scotto and j3harleys like this.
  23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

It's very probable that the car wasn't sold until '33, hence the '33 title. Not unusual for cars to be titled in the year they were sold, even when they were last years' model. Some have been done this way as late as '70. Each state is(was) abit different. Kinda hooeey, but... <shrug>. Or a typo on the paperwork.
    Marcus...

dan31, Stogy, gasser57! and 1 other person like this.
  24. clem

clem

Looks like a very straight body. Nice!
    How often does such a straight body from the ‘50s get found ?

25. catdad49

catdad49

If the the buyer's Happy, so be it! It sure would beg to see what comes next.

26. Monte 123

Monte 123

Inflation makes it seem everything old car has risen in price dramatically over the years. Truth is a lot of old cars and parts have actually gone down value over time or not risen at all. This car would be about 20k in the year 2000 calculating in inflation.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

30K for that is insane.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    TagMan likes this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I like the look as it sits now. Have you seen a Yenko restored to a body off standards. With reproduction parts that are made in China. To me, they have lost there original appeal. Every part has been replated, painted and made to look better than it was new. At first glance, you can`t tell if it is a real one or a clone. If you have to ask, then why. There are enough restored versions out there already. I have not seen this car in person, but it looks good and solid. I would get it running and only replace parts to make that happen. It is a time capsule. That needs to be preserved. At 3o grand, and to make it a driver, you would have a minimal investment in a period correct traditional 50`s Hot Rod. And not a 2019 version of a period correct restored 50`s Hot Rod. If it had been changed and parted out over the years, that is a different story. Hope to see the car in the future sometime. This is my opinion and this is the HAMB. A site dedicated to the preservation of traditional hot Rods and Customs. At least that is the way I see it.

rod1, weps, redoxide and 4 others like this.
  29. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I remember that Willy’s well. I’m pretty sure my boss has a painting of this roadster and it’s owner when it was still in the barn. I’ll post it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. jazz1

jazz1

Auction house be tickled pink!
    Two cars in my 'hood(33 and 37 fords) been parked since the 60's will eventually see the auction block and much nicer condition.