Register now to get rid of these ads!

Restoring vintage UHaul trailer...Need pics please!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by REVEREND JAKE, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Purple, I may take you up on that.

Zapato, I had wondered that same thing myself. Or maybe someone has made a trailer book, not specifically U-haul.

Terry, I had thought about kustomizing it and putting U-haulin Ass on the sides. But I really want to make this period correct. I may do the I-haul.

Reverend Jake

2. Vanhaulin

Vanhaulin
    from Tempe,Az

Reverend Jake, Do you still have your U Haul trailer?

REVEREND JAKE likes this.
  3. Here's a pic - kind of grainy but... Uhaul 01.jpg

kidcampbell71 and REVEREND JAKE like this.
  4. Vanhaulin, yes I still have the trailer. Haven't gotten to use it much, but still plan to bring it back to its original glory. There is a local "Tin Can" group that goes on weekend getaways in the old campers. I can't wait to get it out and sleep under the stars in the U-haul one night.

5. Thanks for posting this pic, halibrandsteve!!! I haven't been able to find any real clear photos of the sides. This will help out tremendously!

6. I did find these on the Internetz this year.
    This first pic is a still shot from the movie La Bamba.

uhaul la bamba.png

I found the second shot on Pinterest.

uhaul trailer.jpg

I believe between all the pics in this thread that there is enough of a 360 degree view to redo the graphics.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. I remember riding in the back of my dad's station wagon pulling a trailer like that from Columbia,South Carolina to Anderson,South Caroling with all my Grandmothers possessions and Dad had tied a old canvas army tent to the rails to try and keep everything dry.

That was in 1962. HRP

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Rev. Jake, I need to make a run to Tulsa to see how you're doing. We could go get some coneys at Coney I-Lander. Kool that you still have the trailer. I remember seeing it at Stray Kat 500 a few years back!

9. roundvalley

roundvalley

I am 76 Yrs old and I can not remember ever seeing one . This will draw more attention than a car at a rod run!

castirondude and REVEREND JAKE like this.
  10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Hven't seen one of those open U-Haulers in many years but have seen several of the EZHaul elephant trailers around the Houston area. I think the last of them had moulded plastic tops with the lettering and elephants in relief on both sides.

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I remember those. Some had black fenders, if it had the rail sound the top it was white. Seemed to me the tailgate weighed nearly 40 # 's. The orange wasa darker shade than the current shade.

12. mr shiftys used cars

mr shiftys used cars
    from sedalia,mo

U haul does sell their old trucks and trailers around here in Missouri my parents are u haul dealers and bought a old car hauler and we painted it black you can look online on their website to find used equipment for sale

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. LOl that's fukn' funny........

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When U-Haul first got started, the trailers were sold to individuals and then the company set up a deal that paid the owner everytime it was rented. I knew several people that made a lot of money early on before the trailers were manufacturered to U-Haul's specs and owned by the company. The trailer looks old enough that it really wasn't owned by U-Haul. Shoen(sp?) started the company in Phoenix. Lot of family drama when the old man died.

If you don't go first class, your heirs will!

castirondude and REVEREND JAKE like this.
  15. Duncan, I am in graduate school now. My schedule can be pretty busy, but I would love to grab some coneys sometime! Weekends are usually pretty good.

Thanks for the info, plym_46! Mine does not have to railing on the top, just a few metal loops for tying the tarpaulin down. And you are sooooo right that the tailgate is heavy. It really might weight that much.

I promise all that I will post pics of my trailer sometime soon. I'm only ten years late in getting around to it, right?

16. castirondude

castirondude

That trailer will really steal the show when you take it to a car show behind a vintage ride!

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I realize this thread started a long time ago. I never saw it before...but... I think is is so cool. I am really interested in old trailers and the history here is good to see. Please post more pictures of your project if you can. Thanks foe sharing.

18. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

This will definitely be cool.

I've actually got a U-Haul hubcap. Anyone know when they stopped making them?

Also now that I think about it, I remember my dad saying one of his old trailers was a U-Haul, but it's not a tear drop.

19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Neat trailer. As far as Uhaul selling trailers, they do not. I know from personal experience after buying a repainted one in MO. Uhaul took it, said they never sell trailers. My attorney said too bad, they were right.

20. cPlayIt

cPlayIt

Is she savable?

Attached Files:

21. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Having work part time for U-Haul, I was told that they don't sell their trailers (they do sell their trucks). There should be a tag on the bottom left side frame rail, inside edge, with a number on it. I would have to say if the tag is gone and it is welded on, you might have a trailer that has never been returned. U-Haul does have a very aggressive policy in dealing with people who steal their stuff. U-Haul builds their own trailers to their specs and keeps pretty close tabs on what is missing. Just a word of warning.

22. j3harleys

j3harleys

I just bought a U-HAUL car trailer. A friend of mine bought 15 of them at an auction and I got one of them. They will not sell one without stripping ramps, latches and proprietary stuff. Best buy on a trailer I ever made. Best built trailer I ever had. Cheapest trailer I ever bought.

23. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Did you buy the trailer from U-Haul and is the number tag still in place and did you get a title? I saw trailers, tow dollies, and hand carts taken to scrap steel yards, some cut up and others untouched. U-Haul has magazine that comes out to each employee and in every copy there is a write up about an employee finding a stolen piece of U-Haul equipment. Just remember what Big Al from Chicago said, "anything stolen is easy to buy and hard to sell."

j3harleys likes this.
  24. 1ton

1ton

1) A buddy of mine from Atlanta call's it "Yall haul"
    2) A different guy has a real nice appliance dolly. It says right on it "property of Uhaul, not for sale". When I asked him about it he said he did not buy it.

60F250 likes this.
  25. I have a old fiberglass 4x 7 currently registered in ga . For sale[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Here are some shots of the logo and graphics.

Attached Files:

27. j3harleys, I am a Uhaul dealer and Uhaul does not sell car trailers or any other trailers. If any dealer or area field manager drives by and sees it they will report it. You should call Uhaul and confirm what you have before the police show up at your door.

28. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Yes, be careful. My understanding (from a friendly dealer) is that U-Haul has never sold a trailer. They rebuild them until they are no longer rebuildable then cannibalize for parts and scrap the remainder. This particular trailer might be an exception that they may have phased out of their fleet a long time ago. Another possibility, if they are anything like the auto manufacturers I've worked for they probably lose one from time to time.

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A friend of mine worked somewhere in the midwest for a time with a salvage company. He told me U Haul would do like Magic Ratchet said, use them until they were used up, then sell them for scrap. He said the company he worked for would go in and he would spend days cutting the tongues off with a torch. They would then load them on trucks to go to the scrap yard. He also said some that were still in pretty good shape got tongues welded back on them, painted, and sold by the salvage yard. He had one that was two put together to make it twice as long, registered it as a home built. Apparently it was legal since it was rebuilt using scrap and U haul couldn't say anything about it after they had been sold for scrap. Now this is secondhand information, so don't take it as gospel, just what he told me. He may have been lying out his ass!