Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is the 5.0 TOO much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deacon Guy, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Big block cars (Fairlane) got a 1/4" plate added at the upper control arm mounts.
    fairlane suspension 002.jpg

2. raven

raven

I was raised on hot rod Falcons.
    The OP can, indeed, run the V8 but a few minor upgrades would be in order. 8” (or 9”) rear end out of an early Mustang or V8 Falcon. I would suggest switching the front suspension to one from an early V8 Mustang or V8 Falcon. Get the V8 radiator too. This is about the most basic necessities required for this swap. One additional item I would suggest is called a Monte Carlo bar (if I remember correctly). It is a brace that goes from shock tower to shock tower. Shelby Mustangs came with these and you can buy aftermarket ones now.
    I ran a very stout Hi-PO 289 backed by a T-10 in a 60 Falcon ranch wagon as a younger version of me and was hard on it. The T-10 was the weak link on more than one occasion, if you need a manual transmission, go with a top loader for strength.
    If you’re just wanting something that has some extra pep, you’ll do fine with the V8 and the aforementioned upgrades. They won’t break the bank either.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There aren't any.

Deacon Guy and loudbang like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, too much.

Early 6-cylinder Falcons were built out of thinner metal, with fewer layers, and less bracing. Short of Rancheros and Sedan Deliveries, there were no torque boxes whatsoever on 6-cylinder cars.

The spindles and all of the steering components are all smaller and lighter. The brakes are smaller.

I run a 200hp 200in inline six in my 1960 Falcon, and I added about 140lbs of bracing to keep the chassis from twisting. It has an 8.8 rear end, and much larger brakes. I broke the original rear end, before I upgraded to this engine.

With even the dowdiest 302 (we don't like the term 5.0 here), you are asking for trouble.

chryslerfan55 and Deacon Guy like this.
  5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

You will need the early Comet (1963-65?) left side exhaust manifold to clear the steering as well. Using a 260, or five bolt 289 engine will provided better trans tunnel clearance.
    The best way to get all the needed parts would be to buy a '63 to '64 Falcon or Comet parts car.

Many years ago a friend swapped the 144/Fordomatic in his Falcon to an early 200/C4. It was a tremendous improvement. Then we swapped the 144 or 170 with Fordomatic in his 1963 Comet to a 260 V8 / C4, again a huge improvement. We kept the four bolt wheel suspension and crappy differentials, they seemed to hold up.

6. This right here is why I’m not a ford guy...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. upspirate

upspirate

Excuse me for asking,what is a torque box?

Deacon Guy likes this.
  8. RmK57

RmK57

It's a square formed heavy gauge sheet metal that is spot welded between the frame rail and rocker panel. It ties in with the floor and keeps the flimsy unibody from flexing and cracking on V8 cars and convertibles.

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Around where the front eye of the rear spring bolts..

10. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is where you will want to fab/weld a torque box in the front. Make a bent box a couple inches deep. Weld the top and ends of the box to the rocker rail, floor pan and front subframe. Look at V8 early Mustang pics for an example.
    The rear kinda already has one on the 6 cyl Falcon, although it's fairly thin gage. Ignore the subframe connector tubing in this pic. torque box.png

11. Avoid the '63-early '64 parts. These used Falcon/Comet-specific steering linkage that's has expensive and hard to find parts for when you do use it. When the Mustang was introduced in April '64, at the same time Ford switched the Falcon/Comet steering linkage to most of the new-style Mustang parts which are commonly available except for the center link; that still has to be a Falcon/Comet specific part as they're about 1.5" narrower than a Mustang. This late '64-65 link has been reproduced and should be available. Because of the width difference, you also can't use Mustang 'Monte Carlo' braces or sway bars. Falcon/Comet versions are available from Delta Bay Mustang, or at least used to be.

There's no clearance issues with the later 6-bolt motors/trans; Ford installed them in '65. But the Falcon/Comet did use a weird V8 trans mount, finding the right tailshaft housing/crossmember might be tough.

12. birdman1

birdman1

I put a boss 302 with a 5 speed, 4.11 gears in a 8.8 rear in my would1965 mustang 6 banger. It would twist the entire body and chassis so much coming out of the hole that the car would jump into the left lane, including the 3 to 4 gear shift . I sold it.

13. Deacon Guy

Deacon Guy

Good morning bandit Billy. Thank you for your input. Very nice Nova. Have a great weekend.
    Deacon Guy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Deacon Guy

Deacon Guy

Good morning Crazy Steve, thank you for chiming in. I appreciate all the info. Have a great weekend.

Deacon Guy

15. Deacon Guy

Deacon Guy

Good morning birdman1, thank you for your input. The Mustang sounds scary..in a good kinda way. Have a great weekend.
    Deacon Guy

16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The " Ford Six Forum " has the information you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Don't be afraid of the fact that it is a 4 door. Makes a better sleeper. Do the upgrades on the suspension and build some torque boxes and drive the heck out of it.
    My old Morris Minor was never intended to have any more than 37 horsepower, but that didn't stop me from building a hot small block Ford and shoehorning it in.
    True hot rodders look at that sort of thing being a challenge, not an obstacle. If you can't do anything more than bolt stuff together then just stick with Legos. DSCF0956.JPG

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

In 63 I put a 221 out of a 62 fairlane in my 60 Falcon replaced the ball joints with Moog units kept then well lubed the 9" brakes worked OK but not great. These cars are light. The rear axle will not last long I used a 57-59 9 inch was a bolt in drilled for 4 bolt wheels a13" wheel will not clear the drums. I drove the car when in college put on over 80,000 miles never had any front end problems. The little car would run 15.5 in a quarter on 6.95/14 tires with a stock 221 with 3 speed. I'm not saying a 302 will not tax things more. The reason for replacing the 6 was worn valve guides no oil to the top end by the time I caught it the guides were toast.

19. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Welcome from the right hand edge of the continent roughly half way up!( New Jersey) , well, SOUTH JERSEY and no , down here isn't like the suburbs of NYC you find above Trenton!....anyway run it with the 302, break shit and then have stories to tell younger men in the future!...EVERY good hotrod'er worth a damn has breaking shit stories!.....which edge of the earth are you located on, maybe we can break shit together!

20. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

...a true brother in arms speaks!.....when people tell me " you can buy a kit for that" I look at them incredulously and ask " why?" ,?!

21. Deacon Guy

Deacon Guy

Hi Raven...Good evening, I appreciate your input. I've got so many decisions to make and, so far, many awesome replies from the kind folks on here. Thanks again. Regards, Deacon Guy

22. Deacon Guy

Deacon Guy

Thank you kind Sir.

23. Deacon Guy

Deacon Guy

Hi King Ford. Myrtle Beach, SC area. Cool advise...breaking stuff...I don't any of those stories...yet. Deacon

24. Deacon Guy

Deacon Guy

Hi sunbeam, good evening. Thank you for sharing. I appreciate the tips and stories. Maybe before too long I can add some tips and stories too. Best regards, Deacon Guy