Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hiding heater hoses on cars without hoods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Sep 1, 2019.

1. 5window

5window

What's keeping those hoses on the fittings?

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Notice my last sentence. “No clamps yet”.

SPark

kidcampbell71 and 5window like this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

So what is holding the hoses on? :)

4. 5window

5window

Hi,sorry, I read it too quickly. May I ask why uoi didn't put the clamps on when you put it together? Depending on how long those hoses sit like that, it might be more interesting getting them apart.

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

They have been on there a week. Not a big deal at all. Will put clamps on this week after my next parts store run. Just a little detail. Working through each area of assembly on several fronts, no need to rush into putting clamps on until it gets coolant in it in the next couple weeks.
    SPark

05snopro440 likes this.
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The barbs on the ends of the steel lines are inside the hoses. The hoses are fit correctly so all the clamps do is seal the connectors. Shouldn’t need clamps to hold hoses in place.
    SPark

7. 5window

5window

"Shouldn't" and "don't" aren't always in agreement.

Baumi and nunattax like this.
  8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

True. Maybe what I should have said is "during mockup". With molded hoses cut correctly nothing is under any pressure to stay in place during mockup. It all fits correctly and stays in place. Everything will get clamps on final assembly, it's not rocket science.

Below is a picture of what the end of the steel tube looked like before welding. The hose barb was pressed into the steel tube, everything was chamfered then welded. Then it was turned back smooth so the hex part of the barbs disappeared. A normal hose clamp will be put on each hose on final assembly once the system is ready to fill with coolant.
    SPark

heater7.png

9. Some one told me back in the 50's that real Hot Rods don't need heaters . So I threw mine away ! Sorry just couldn't help myself on that one ! IMG_2215.JPG

10. 5window

5window

Kept a heater (under the dash, but I dismantled and removed the AC.. But, if I lived in the southwest and ran a closed engine compartment, I could have done it the other way.

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

WIRING down the A pillar in 3/8 or 1/2 inch hose clip to frame to its destination

12. They have a function, so make them neat and drive on.:cool: I do not have a heater in either of my 32's. that I own now. I have in the past and like I said, made them neat and functional. After all they are Hot Rods.:rolleyes:

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

Take the heater out, don"t be a wimp. In 1961 i bought a new ford starliner and to get a heater was an xtra $18, , never got one. PLUS now we have global warming, you won"t need one.

ct1932ford likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Here is heater hose hiding taken to the next level. Saw this car at Deuce Days this year looking every bit as sharp. Scan-190923-0001.jpg

15. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I should probably put windows in my doors before I get heat.;)

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

That's clean

17. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I don't have door glass and the heater still helps extend driving season.

Gary

patmanta likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I see that correctly, the fuel line and heater lines are hard lines from the block to the firewall. That wont work for long with a little engine movement. Just sayin. unless I'm missing something.

19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^^agree^^^^

So I say trailer queen.....

5window and Bandit Billy like this.
  20. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

There are flexible lines at firewall

patmanta and Raunchy like this.
  21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Yeah you're right. I was just joking but I do want both. Maybe a windshield wiper too. Just got my car on Friday. Doing new brakes and directionals right now so the other things will have to wait.

22. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 02 Dodge uses a small auxiliary electric pump to help circulate water through the heater. A person could probably hide one of those inside the car up under the dash and run both hoses of the back of the motor.]

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  23. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

Timely topic
    Gave me some ideals. I ended up using a couple 90 moulded hoses and some copper pipe and fittings to route the one line under the header and then up to my heater connection
    [​IMG]

24. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Lot of good ideas especially for cars with no hoods...…….

25. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Really nice job.........Where did he hide the A/C ?;)

While I like the pictures and ideas presented here, I was wondering......Would the push on type of hose that is made for air lines (175+ psi) work for coolant hose and get rid of unsightly hose clamps ? I've never had an air hose problem using that kind of hose.....but the temperature is lower.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  26. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy Matt has a hoodless 32 5-window with a SBC. He ran an elbow off the right head with a short polished stainless steel line to a hose that goes to the heater core. He also added shutoff valve to the hose before the heater core. He then built a polished stainless steel line that runs from the water pump back near the elbow for the return. A hose runs from where he terminated the SS line to the heater core. The elbow and most of the SS line are hidden under the header.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      93 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      93.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      92.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    Shadow Creek and TagMan like this.
  27. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I still haven't had time to do this. Thanks for reply's. The last one looks like something i had in mind.

28. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

I know there not hidden,but kept them as neat and tidy as i could IMG_6396.jpg IMG_6394.jpg