Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts washer stink!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carpunk, Sep 24, 2019.

1. carpunk

carpunk

short version.
    Is there any trick to having a parts washer in your shop without the stink?
    I can think of a 100 smart ass answers and funny ideas so only reply if you know a good idea please

2. Mine is outside in the lawnmower shed.

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Odorless mineral spirits" ain't, but are a little better. Keep the lid closed.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  4. LAROKE

LAROKE

I use a mixture of 50% Oil Eater and 50% water in mine and the lid down when not in use. There is no stink.

5. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Here are a few off the top of my head,
    A plastic tub with an air tight lid.
    Get a normal parts washer with the lid, then put some weather stripping tape between the tub and the lid. Put something heavy on the lid when you're not using it to keep it sealed.
    Those might work. I usually pour mineral spirits in a plastic tub to clean the parts, then pour the cleaner in a gallon jub and put the cap back on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Time? I have used mineral spirits in my parts cleaner for decades, and it doesn't bother me. It actually smells pretty good when I treat it to a cleaning and replace the liquid every couple years.

7. carpunk

carpunk

Never knew about the water and oil eater stuff
    Hmmm I was assuming i needed an oil based cleaner like. Kero or diesel but maybe simple green etc? I bought this thing used and there's some solvent? Engine flush maybe? In it plus some more in cans and what Evers in the actual machine stinks to high heavens you can't even really wash the stink off your hands! Think ep90 x10 The issue is the lid down and the door dealer is something I had considered BUT as soon as I use the damn thing the stinks there and the real big issue with that is that it wafts up into the building directly above
    I was thinking put it outside its the obvious choice but I would rather not for convenience and weather etc
    I was even thinking pour a few bottles of cheap aftershave in with the stuff!

8. carpunk

carpunk

Time? What do you meen? Oh ok I re read it well that's you I guess and some people really enjoy the smell of glue or maybe your stuff is differnt Ive been covered in oil for decades Infact when I have a bath or shower I don't even get wet! I'm over it and this stuff whatever it is is bad
    And extremely hard to wash off

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  9. LAROKE

LAROKE

Oil Eater works better than I ever expected. I've found that I just can't put things in the mixture and forget about them, however. It will eat paint as well as oil and the water will eventually leave rust deposits on the parts.

10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I used to use kerosene, but now I use CRC parts wash solevent, it doesn't smell bad at all.

11. I use Flash Solvent in mine and as long as I keep the lid closed it doesn't stink up the shop! I open up the shop doors when I have it in use. Those two things work for me...

12. 26Troadster

26Troadster

we use stuff called ozzy juice, ours is heated as well. eats the oil, we also have a additive we add every once in awhile. i'll see if i can get the proper name of the stuff.

carpunk likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Just that you might either get used to the smell, or just not notice it, after a while.

sunbeam and nochop like this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Beats gasoline....

Atwater Mike and Deuces like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

I remember using gas to wash parts.... It did the job...

16. Boden

Boden

That’s part of the game. Haha. I use envirowaste stuff

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. BJR

BJR

You could make a hood and use a small computer fan vented to the outside, or use an old kitchen range hood with an exhaust fan vented to the outside. The vented range hood also works great to vent your welding area of fumes.

dirty old man likes this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clean it maybe and use new solvent. It shouldn't smell as bad as you're saying it does. Maybe there's something in there that shouldn't be in there.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. I use regular mineral spirits/ paint thinner in my old Eastwood 20 gallon parts cleaner tank, mine has a lid and I keep it closed when not in use and I never smell anything, I have used it for about 8 years now, I'm sure it is time to drain it and add new solvent, it's getting pretty dirty., but it still doesn't smell. HRP

20. Oil Eater is kick ass degreaser.
    Vic

LAROKE likes this.
  21. mopacltd

mopacltd

I've used the fuel fragrances a time or two.

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Some petroleum liquids sort of "sour" and really stink things up. Today's so called gasoline is prone to that in a car that's been out of use with a tank vented to the atmosphere for a year or so is a prime example.
    I've got an old Gray Mills parts washer that holds 35 gallons of solvent, so obviously I don't want to change it too often, lol. Keep the airtight lid closed when not in use and it'll last a long time, 6-8 years of hobby shop work with straight mineral spirits.

23. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Back a couple yrs ago we used petroleum based cleaner and we just put water on top of the cleaner in the drum.

It did 2 things, it kept the smell down but it kept the cleaner from evaporating, the water was the sacrificial liquid to the air.

Don't know how many cleaners you could still do that to. I guess you could put some cleaner in a canning jar add some water, shake a little and give it a day to see if it separates.

24. squirrel

squirrel

The cleaner I use (mineral spirits) is less dense than water, so it would float on top of the water.

dirty old man likes this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

At about .35 a gallon

26. In half of an old gas tank!

Ben

27. carpunk

carpunk

28. carpunk

carpunk

Yes I considered dumping a few yard sale bottles of hi karate in there with it

29. carpunk

carpunk

30. 26Troadster

26Troadster

ok found the jugs. one is ozzyjuice made by smart wash, the other is safe washer sw-4. never had a smell from either and the stuff works great but like i said it is heated. we have also used mineral spirits with a quart of atf added so it wouldn't burn the weenies hands when they used it i never added it myself. at the house i will still use gas, i did use starting fluid till i had the law show up wanting to know where the meth lab was.

dirty old man and Atwater Mike like this.