Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Done for now.... This will be the foundation for my X member....I will be making the rest on my own. The prices for those that are out there are outrageous and I got this piece dirt cheap. I’ve got plenty of material here to make the rest!! IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1268.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, brEad, mctim64 and 5 others like this.
  3. Piewagn

Piewagn

Just noticed this! Been bamboozled? Did I get components from 2 different steering columns?? I’ll probably have to shorten anyway and I do want the column shift, already have the column shift trans. Just a little agitated the seller didn’t tell me..... IMG_1285.JPG

nunattax, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ouch!! It’ll cost me a sh*t load to get the parts for this! I should probably expect this with any column I pick up I guess....sector shaft not much better! IMG_1286.JPG

5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well, I’m guessing things just got considerably less expensive! Thought I had to replace the whole shaft AND worm gear for, like, a bajillion friggin’ dollars! Macs and other places have the worm gear only for 68 bucks. I haven’t priced bearings and sector shaft yet. I’ll look for a kit too. IMG_1287.JPG

Tim, Nailhead A-V8, brEad and 4 others like this.
  6. Are you planning on mounting the transmission solidly?

loudbang likes this.
  7. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes Rich! I will be using "C" channel to fabricate the rest of the "X" member with that center section as the foundation. I will be mounting the X solidly to the frame. I will be using some type of rubber insulators at trans mounting points. I will document the process as I progress. Thanks for your interest!

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  8. Piewagn

Piewagn

Will be capping both sides and fabricating the diagonal braces to attach here...Don’t know if I can describe it, but the picture is in my head and I will be documenting the X frame fabrication.... IMG_1302.JPG

Tim, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  9. Piewagn

Piewagn

Now to fabricate the diagonal supports and attach...I’ll have to have the engine and trans in place so I can measure my length.... IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1304.JPG

Nailhead A-V8, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Now, when I get my center section height where it’s needed, I’ll make the center lateral supports out to the frame, make some gussets and weld it all up! I used 3/32” steel to make the C channel, it matched the thickness of the center section. I’m moving forward fellas, the pace will pick up once I get the X frame and engine placement squared away.... IMG_1308.JPG

Nailhead A-V8, brEad, mctim64 and 2 others like this.
  11. Mart

Mart

Sorry to be the one to say it but what you did to the X member centre part and the rear mount will be no good. You need rubber between the trans and the frame. the rear mount is later, uses rubber donuts or maybe 46 type rear isolator, the X member center requires a 32-36 type rear hardware with the correct rear mount to suit the x member. The holes were in the right place in the first place.

Posted with the best intentions.

Mart.

Edit: I missed your previous reply re rubber mounts. I'd be interested to see how you do that. The easiest way would be to get the rear mount setup that matches the x member centre in it's original format.

12. Piewagn

Piewagn

I got the center section dirt cheap and all I did to the center section was move the captured nuts in to fit the mount. Sorry, I’m not paying 1000 bucks for a k or x frame that everyone I find seems to be tagged. I have a huge selection of rubber insulators here at work to reduce vibration in the machines I repair. There will be no problem choosing a nice pair of insulators to isolate any vibration. Thanks for your interest and concern....

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  13. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Cool build

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Mart

Mart

Glad you have something in mind to get some isolation in there.

I'm enjoying following the build.

Mart.

Piewagn likes this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yeah.....calculated it all in. It's hard to describe the picture in your head sometimes. I went into this with a budget and the price of those X and K members just blew me out of the water! I install industrial drives and figured I'd be able to come up with something, then I bumbled onto that center section and I'm making it work with what I have........I can always use these......:D Thanks Mart!!
    upload_2019-9-24_17-16-51.png

Tim, Nailhead A-V8, mctim64 and 2 others like this.
  17. Piewagn

Piewagn

My spreader bar finally came and I got my rear axle in....now I can locate engine and trans and finish fabricating mounts and X member! Hershey next week to hopefully pick up some needed items. Once the engine and trans is located, I can really start rollin’! IMG_1338.JPG

kiwijeff, brEad, mctim64 and 3 others like this.
  18. catdad49

catdad49

Great stuff, Pie. With your skills and patience this build should move along nicely. Can't wait to see her up on four wheels, Carp.

loudbang likes this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

LUCK

loudbang likes this.
  20. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Carp! This is something I've been dreaming about for a long time and bumbled into this coupe and I just couldn't let it go without snatchin' it up.....Hopefully things will start smoothing out and coming together.....

loudbang likes this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir.....I need all I can get!

loudbang likes this.
  22. eicke

eicke

loudbang likes this.
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Heat....I used a propane torch. They will polish up nice with some compound. I used one of those small 3" air polishers.....

loudbang likes this.
  24. eicke

eicke

Thanks...Gonna try it. Have a few FORD V8 caps and a set of Lincoln Zephyr's. Ultimately would like to rehab the Zephyr's. Seen where guys drill a hole in the back and use air to "blow" it off. Again, awesome job!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir! It’ll expand enough to get past the lip...you may have to pry a little on the opposite side with a plastic prying spoon. Mine came right off! I will be painting the rest of the caps when the time comes.

eicke, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Hershey score! Now have 3 sets of tail lamps to decide on, finally got my steering wheel FOR 60 BUCKS and my front glass for 30!! A nice set of fog lamps with unique bulbs....and carbs for 20 bucks to complete my trips!.....all in all....a great day!!! IMG_1360.JPG

27. Piewagn

Piewagn

Will be restoring the ‘30 Pa plate for my “YOM” registration....
    I took the fog lamps apart and discovered those are lenses and not bulbs! Never saw a fog lamp lenses like this... rewiring right now and will be using one on my Tudor and one on the coupe. Maybe you guys could help me decide on the tail lamps? So far I’ve gotten votes for the 58 Bel Air lamps from my Wife and my neighbor...any input is welcome! Thanks fellas!!

loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

58 Belairs and use the clear half for backup lights gets my vote. :)

brEad and 1947knuck like this.
  29. I like seeing this, my next A project will be column shift. Already have the flathead with '40 trans in the frame with a '46 merc column. I'll be watching this one progress.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Piewagn

Piewagn

That seems to be the consensus....thank you!

loudbang likes this.