Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Stupidity Of Youth & The Relentlessness Of Age

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Stupidity Of Youth & The Relentlessness Of Age

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I hate it when one guy has to ruin it for everyone. I especially hate it when that one guy is racist. Terrible shame man.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yupp...the ignorance of society is terrible...we all have to try and be more patient with others and careful around hostility...you could end up dead...

it ain't worth it Dad...:eek:...perhaps consoling the clerk might have been something that would have helped...

Sometimes it doesn't just rain it pours...glad you got the Hotrod in...

And when all else is going crazy hop in the Hotrod, escape into the envelope of Speed in a Vintage Bubble and put all the crazy away for a short time and get back down to Earth...

I want a Vintage Flamed Helmet like that fella had about midway into the video of escaping into Hotrod/Custom/Race

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    AVater, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  4. Hindsight can be a wonderful thing,
    And that definitely ain’t no Stupid little video,I for one smiled the whole way through it.
    Thanks for the experience.

5. You exercised tremendous restraint in not busting that ass-hat upside his head.:eek:

Deuces, hillbilly, AVater and 2 others like this.
  6. Funny, I had a similar experience at a Tim Hortons yesterday with my teenage kids, an older guy being an ass to everyone, I did not stay quiet, his wife glared at me but I refuse to let people get away with that. I would have dealt with it in a more subtle manner when my girls were younger however. There are no winners in those situations Ryan, be proud of the example you set for your kids.

Oh and I once tried to push the old Fargo up a slight incline into the shop, the end result was explaining to the neighbors why it was now on their lawn....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The teachable moment for your daughter was much more important than trying to teach an old racist a lesson. Hopefully you had a good discussion with her afterwards and she understands why you did the right thing, even though she may have been frightened.

Texas57, Old-Soul, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Being born is a blessing
    Remaining ignorant all your life is a sin.

Would have been nice to offer a few words of comfort to that little girl
    behind the register.

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we’ve all run into shit storms like that. Always best to take the high road. Hang in there!

Uribe, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. missysdad1

missysdad1

I am probably more of a political junkie than most here on the HAMB, but I honestly think that your "no politics" rule is golden.

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Some people grow old and bitter, They wallow in self pity and hatred,.. They are the segment of society that unfortunately are so self centered they cant seem to look beyond they're own sad (self inflicted) existence.
    The worst part is that they draw other innocent bystanders into they're pathetic world with outbursts like this.

I agree with you Boss, Even today I would have reacted the same as you did (or worse),... The problem is those innocent little eyes watching every move we make. Defending the girl I believe was the proper coarse of action..It's how you do it that makes the difference. Sometimes you just got to let it go and pray for people like that. At least it works for me.

As far as the Coupe goes, Did you try putting it in reverse, turning on the ignition, pushing in the clutch so it would roll down the incline,.... and bump starting it ?... I'm sure you did... Probably a silly question. ;)

guthriesmith, Jay71, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. I too watched in astonishment with my eldest granddaughter when a old fart blew up at a young waitress at a local restaurant, he spewed a few expletives along with racially charged slurs because she didn't bring a side he said he ordered, then he called her a stupid (rhymes with rut) before I know what was happening that's Hannah got up and slapped the crap out of the old man, he acted like he was going to punch her and I got up and told him think real hard about what you do next.

Hannah is a big girl and being a paramedic has been known to restrain belligerent people, she told him he owed the young lady a apology and everyone else in the restaurant he offended.

Being the POS he was he told the girl sorry and walked out of the restaurant, some people feel as thought they have some sort of power to be demeaning to anyone in the service industry and I am proud of my granddaughter for stepping in and doing the right thing. HRP

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh. I wasn't quiet. He got an ear full. But my instinct was to give him more than that. My instinct was to give him what he had coming. And to be honest, I would have if my daughter wasn't with me. I'd happily pay the court fines on such a deal. And jail for such an offense doesn't bother me.

At the end of the day though, that tough guy bullshit doesn't matter for two reasons:

1. If I had pounded that old man, it wouldn't have made that little girl feel any less threatened or hurt or... it probably would have scared her even more. The damage was already done.

2. My seven year old daughter was destroyed by all this. She was scared. She was confused. She didn't understand why that "grandpa" was saying such mean stuff. Me beating him doesn't change that either. Again, scares her even more.

Anyway, the point of all this is a simple one... The world is what ya make it... Not just in a social/global sense, but in our own little hot rod world too... I'm trying to convince myself that the old man and my car breaking down are just obstacles to freedom and hot rodding.

I'm sort of consumed by this right now... so y'all will have to excuse the relevance I guess. I'll be better by Wednesday.

Also, this isn't political. So lets not go there.

mnjeff, 61Cruiser, Texas57 and 21 others like this.
  14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

People like that are not going to change. Everywhere they go whether someone is there to call them out or not it is not going to make feel or act any different. It is something that comes from generations being taught and passed on. My grandfather was a quiet racist making jokes and comments then passing this on to my father and uncles. It was the norm to them but what surprised me even more was my mother from a generation of good people also had issues with it when someone of a different race was looking at a house next door to hers which was for sale. It is a sad situation and it really brings it home when you witness it first hand as I think we all have or will at some point in our lives.

Old-Soul, Deuces, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  15. flatford39

flatford39

I'm glad you said something to the Ahole. It needs to be done every time we see it or hear it. If not we become what we normalize.

RRanchero Rick, Deuces, Lepus and 2 others like this.
  16. I see nothing about you post as political, just about what seems to lack with people is common decency, treating others with dignity, regardless of who they are and children learn their behavior from their parents.

The Golden Rule of treating others as you want to be treated goes a long way.HRP

17. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

very cool video... Thanks.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The really only time I lose it is when I witness any lack of respect.
    Its hard for me to maintain composure. I feel sorry for the waitress and especially your daughter.
    No we cant change this type of thinking but hopefully our pushback will change the blatant behavior.
    As parents we especially want to protect our family from these attitudes. You did the right thing.
    Kids really adapt quickly. In two days she will forget this bad experience. I think its important to discuss these situations with them and explain our actions in this situation.

razoo lew, Deuces and Lepus like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly racists individuals are still out there and personal experience has shown that all races of people have their racist individuals who don't like "them or those" for one reason or another and make it known.
    Just thinking though and it isn't an excuse but an outburst like that might be a sign of an age related mental health issue. The outburst not the racism though.

Deuces and ffr1222k like this.
  20. flatford39

flatford39

I doubt she is going to forget the whole thing. What she is going to remember is her Dad standing up to evil. It goes along way in instilling the correct values in our society.

I am going to be 70 years young next year and I can remember when my Dad did the same thing when I was about 7 or 8 years old. You don't forget it. Ever.

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree, They may never forget the encounter but the fear will subside.
    That's why I feel its important to discuss the situation with them and why we responded in such a way.

Deuces likes this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

don't worry, maybe the next guy will punch him.

raven, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Sounds like we handled it the same way...

I'm big on teaching my kids that here is no need to be intimidated by someones actions, Just need to be aware of different ways of handling different situations depending on surroundings.

Deuces likes this.
  24. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Empathy and respect have eroded for whatever reasons. The premise that customers feel they can abuse employees that serve them is not unique.

Waiter.jpg

We should speak up when we see abuse. Then again in Ryan's case the potential outcome of conflict could result in serious consequences. The abuser in his case probably learned nothing. Battling the rain resulted in everyone getting wet not just the car. Choosing battles is smart strategy.

rod1, Texas57, Old-Soul and 4 others like this.
  25. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Ryan, remember that one time in Louisiana, at that awesome juke joint two years ago, I overheard that one white guy bitch about the patrons there. I still regret not kicking his ass. I was stunned, since I had never heard anyone use the N-word so freely.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2019
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep, I think about that all the time...

27. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Not much more to say that hasn't been aired... I've been in your shoes too, with my little girl in tow. You made a good choice. Just like you I stewed on it for days. The dude really pissed me off.

What really got me about your thoughts was this "hot rod rage" thing you dropped in my lap. I have done that more times than I can count, but never put a term to it. There is nothing quite as appropriate as wringing out your woes on a stretch of road in a car you are personally connected to. It is otherworldly. Hot rod rage... I dig it.

Tim, Deuces, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  28. It's a very sad commentary that this sort of behavior has been injected back into mainstream life. But you made the right call Ryan; in our current litigious society, any interaction with the police probably would have been the least of the trouble on your head. Plus the even more moral confusion that would have presented to your daughter.

Deuces, Lepus and Baumi like this.
  29. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This didn't use to get to me but the older I get the less patience I have for that kind of bullshit, and call people on it when appropriate. My daughter worked as a waitress for years. No physical violence mind you, but I can say anything I want in this country and there are times when it is appropriate! Folks who do that shit are simply bullies in a vocal sense and until they get put in their place a few times and figure out the world doesn't revolve around them they keep on doing it. You don't need to apologize for having a conscience Ryan. More people need to get one!;)

raven, Deuces, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  30. Hate eats at your heart and bigotry easts your soul.

cactus1, flatford39, GordonC and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.