Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Dave Jenkin's Iconic 1957 Chevrolet Custom to be Sold At Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GZ, Aug 27, 2019.

1. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

If you are from the Detroit area and have even mildly been involved with the hot rod and custom car scene, you are know doubt aware of Dave Jenkins iconic 1957 Chevrolet. It was purchased new by Dave and modified/customized during his ownership which lasted until he recently died. This is a famous car that needs no introduction. To be auctioned near Ann Arbor, MI on September 19.

The sale is being conducted by Braun and Helmer. They are great, local auctioneers and do a good job for both the buyer and seller.

From the auction:
    The Estate of Dave Jenkins & Historic 1957 Chevy Bel-Air

Purchased new in 1956, this one owner 57 Chevy Bel Air Customis a real Jewel to behold. With a 327 V8 (Corvette Engine) Tri-Power w/ Electronic Ignition, 4 speed Transmission, 373 Posi Rear End, Jimmy Jones Inkster Skirts, and custom work by the Alexander Brothers of Detroit Michigan, this is a one of a kind Classic Car!Equipped with a ’57 Buick Grill by Harold Sheets, Dual Antenna Door Openers, Tunneled Lake Pipes, Scalloped & Striped by Paul Hatton, and Odometer reads 15,940 Miles- “Everything Else is Just Traffic” Vin# VC57F129494

** Auctioneers Notes **

Dave Jenkins’ Historic car was immediately customized right after purchase back in 1956. A full Archive of original provenance will be included with this Jewel! After purchase, Dave drove it straight to Jimmy Jones so he could install a pair of Inkster Skirts on it and later was even worked on by the legendary Alexander Brothers of Detroit.

This car has been well documented throughout its entire life in countless magazines and articles. Dave had plenty of nice old color photos showing different versions of the car. He had a 35mm slide camera and never put it down thru the years.

This has always been a One-Owner car and has lived at the Jenkins Garage on Carpenter Rd in Ypsilanti, MI since Dave was first handed the keys in 1956.

Don’t miss this once in a lifetime opportunity to own a One of a Kind and very famous 57 Chevy Bel Air.

Dave Jenkins' 1957 Chevrolet

Here is the auction info:
    http://braunandhelmer.com/?es_feed_target=//www.GoToAuction.com/feed/es_c1002.cgi?es_id=1333&id=142658&feed_type=200&es_cfid=3522

2. grey49ghost

grey49ghost

Saw this beauty years ago after it was restored at a KOA show in Indiana. Forever etched in my mind as being one of the best looking '57's. I will play the lotto tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@grey49ghost, thanks for sharing this...lots of Pride & Joy in this Custom and it's always nice to see past historical rides...much evolution has taken place in its journey...

I really like these earlier versions...especially the Sportier Chromed Reverse...has a Custom Lean with a bit of Nasty Hotrod thrown in...

57_1.jpg

57_2.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Seen pictures of this car on and off for over 50 years, never knew it spent time as a red street machine. Glad he took it back to the Glory days while he still had a chance! Larry

Stogy likes this.

5. My favorite 57 Chevy. Too bad I'm waiting for the right Corvette to come along....

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I’ll be there holding my hand in the air... great car...

Sancho, beatnik, 57JoeFoMoPar and 5 others like this.
  7. And I hope you get it Mark...it needs to go to a good home. Dave loved that car...and I know you would give it the same care he did...

Moriarity, jim snow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

The auction is tomorrow! Good luck!!!

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I bid up to 77,500 dollars and the car sold for 87000. I don’t know who got it......

Sancho, Squablow, OG lil E and 6 others like this.
  10. WOW. Holy sh#t ( ! ) Moriarity. Man, I'm sorry. That sucks. :( I was really hoping for different results.

Sancho, OG lil E, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bummer, I was hoping you would end up with it.

OG lil E, Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  12. Hmmmm wonder where it will end up....not sure anyone around a here’s pockets are that deep for a Kustom. I sure hope whoever bought it appreciates it and cars for it as much as Dave did..makes me sad to know that cars gone from the area and sad Dave’s not with us anymore....he loved that car...

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It would of went higher than 87 if you kept on bidding. Just keep that in mind.

14. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Your kitchen breathed a sigh of relief....

Sancho, belair, OG lil E and 2 others like this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Your wallet too

Sancho, OG lil E, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry you didn't get it, Mark. At least you made the guy work for it!

18. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Whoever got this car, Congratulations. It is a great car with lots of significance. The new owner should be very, very proud and will no doubt appreciate it for many years to come..

19. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Mark, so sorry you didn't get it, hate to see it leave our area. Sure hope it's not going out of the country

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OG lil E, Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Iconic Detroit area car, seen it numerous times. According to the book Car Club Memories, it was a factory 283 dual quad car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  21. I'm bummed that Mark didn't get Dave's '57. I know it would have been in good hands and would be seen from time to time at shows like the CCR.
    I just hope that whoever bought it isn't some dipshit that thinks he needs to "personalize" the car to make it his own and starts changing it or adding ridiculous doo-dads. An iconic car like this doesn't belong to one person, it belongs to the world and preserving the perfection that it is needs to be protected. This car needs NOTHING but a new owner to cherish it, protect it and share it with all the custom lovers out there once in a while. I'm also hoping that whoever bought it isn't one of those "customs are valuable guys". You know, the type that buys an awesome car like this as an "investment" and not because he loves customs. Then goes on to stash it for decades until he figures it goes up in value enough only to sell it for a profit..........E

22. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Good point @OG lil E, Dave would want people to see it, I was on the phone listening to the bids, an quickly realized that I wasn’t going to be a player. Personally, I hope Lou C. Got it, so we’ll get to see it along with his other “A” Bros. Cars.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

OG lil E and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Lou Callisabetta did not get it. I talked to him on the phone yesterday after the auction

Sancho likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Pics from the auction

F3B7FF96-3E73-4F11-83B3-3695E067DD52.jpeg 54CE6170-2767-4C0B-9237-1634398F31CE.jpeg 215A649A-CF57-4446-992C-5198F2CDAE9B.jpeg E961E7BC-1F32-4B83-B217-C680E2B78505.jpeg

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not a big fan of those skirts.

K13 likes this.
  26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

One of the iconic aspects of the car

27. Squablow

Squablow

I hope we get to find out who bought it and that it continues to be shown. At $87K it's kind of a bargain in some respects but that's also enough money that I highly doubt someone bought it to change anything around on it.

OG lil E and chevy57dude like this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm not a big fan skirts on most customs but in this case I think they look nice.

Iconic does not always mean good looking as is the case with a great many customs.
    Some car customizers should have taken up a different hobby :D

This 57 is a mild custom and done quite tastefully.
    Sorry you didn't add it to the collection Mark.

29. For those of you hating on the skirts....aim your hate somewhere else. Those are Jimmy Jones skirts aka Inkster Skirts and if your from the Detroit area they are like gold and a part of our areas Kustom history along with Bill Hines, Dick Dean, Paul Hatton, Chuck Miller, Clark Kaiser , and the A Bros..

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we just had better taste here in California where it all started.:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.