Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Did people have smaller feet in 1941?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Sep 19, 2019.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

I can't get my foot between the side panel and the clutch pedal to press the dimmer switch in my pickup?

What the heck?

Rich

foot.jpg

2. Yes folks in general where much smaller in the 40,s. The nutrition was poor and you rarely every saw real big or fat people. today you see fat & obese folks and skinny & small is rare.

Uribe, mgtstumpy, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you look at current cars you will see that they all have the dimmer switch located on the turn signal lever. Draw your own conclusion.

bobss396 and loudbang like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and as old Wolf said they were generally smaller in stature to boot. Pre WWII it was something of a big deal to be over six ft tall. If you ever get a chance to go though one of the WWII bombers that tour the country and stop at airports for show and tell you find out that the guys who flew in those had to be very slender and not all that tall. Dad was 5 10+ and probably weighed 130 when he flew in them. He also wore a size 9 shoe.

LAROKE likes this.

5. If you go to a museum and look at the war exibits . you will notice how small the uniforms where. especially the civil war guys.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Maybe some people were smaller. My grandpa born 1894 was 6'4" and his daddy was taller

7. squirrel

squirrel

Shoes were narrower, is the main thing :)

Beanscoot, F-ONE and Frankie47 like this.
  8. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

My buddy’s father fought in WWll (including the battle of the bulge) and we were talking one evening with him. He said when he went away for basic training and came back home before being shipped overseas he put on almost 30 lbs because of nutrition and exercise. His parents didn’t recognize him.

Yes smaller and under nourished.

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. Try going for a long ride in a 27-34 Ford PU if you over 5 ft 10.Folks were smaller.Top chops are for show cars.

10. A friend of mine has a 34 Ford PU hot rod. She's not a big person by any means. I'm 5'8" and I don't fit in it all that well. People were generally smaller back then, even here in Canada. o_O

loudbang likes this.
  11. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Hard enough to fit my body into this, then I have to contend with my 2 big feet in a tiny compartment for the pedals. lml-32p.jpg

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

In my 34, I use my 2 position headlight switch as my dimmer.
    One pull turns on the low beams and the second pull turns on the high beams.
    Works well easy to reach

13. little red 50

little red 50

Buy a pair of cowboy boots, I think you can reach it.

14. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

As time marches on in North America, bigger fatter Freddie Flintstones feet, not as narrow and slim as in earlier times...
    People in Canada and the USA are bigger and fatter than ever, as tyme goes on too..

Hnstray likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Both literacy and the health or nutrition noticeably declined during testing compared with inductees or draftees from the "War to End All War" through to the "2nd Time Around" recruits, the government takes careful notes on such things. This shocked a lot of researchers. Rickets and other ailments from vitamin deficiencies were fairly common due to the economic collapse in the 1930s. Literacy had declined somewhat because of crackpot ideas on how to teach people to read.

17. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

As is the case in our Canadian WW1 troops, maybe cause so many were nothing more than teenage boys yet, as would be the same in the Civil War I suspect..

osage orange, Texas57 and loudbang like this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Your a clubfooted Wookiee is why !! LOL,Don't you know how to put on cowboy boots,geez got to tell you kids every thing !

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  19. the-rodster

the-rodster

I did this on my RPU, works well

I've got boots, but they ain't no skinnier.

Oh, hell no!

20. Boden

Boden

Haha. I wear some engineer boots and they fit in everything. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

1940s dress shoe.
    [​IMG]
    Modern sneaker.
    [​IMG]
    Even if the feet aren't bigger the shoe certainly is.......just say no to flip flops while driving......lol.

osage orange and Hnstray like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have my dad's WWII uniform, no way I could put it on. I'd say he was probably 5'9" or 5'10" and around 135lbs when he served. I'm 6' pushing 200 lbs.

23. catdad49

catdad49

Yes, try to find a small person now a days. I think it's all the hormones that they put in today's food, but I will add that most I ever weighed was when I was in basic training. Lots of training/ exercise and I never went to sleep hungry!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    osage orange, 6sally6 and Old wolf like this.
  24. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Amazing you brought that up. Yesterday in prep for steering column install in my 34 Chevy master I loaded the seat, got in and started to do my layout. I immediately told my wife that we both needed to go on a diet or hirer a driver for the car. I even bought a very narrow cheap set of tennis shoes to help with foot room. I am amazed that two folks could ride in my car for anytime. It’s also not chopped but you can’t see squat out the front window either.
    Maybe that’s why they look so cool

osage orange likes this.
  25. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I think we call it evolving.
    We are simply bigger now then we were then.
    Amazing when I use to live near a high school a few years ago. All the kids were pushing 200 pounds and standing on the curb with their nose looking in a phone.
    Sad, just seems to be the way things are moving.

Think maybe there will be a lot of airplanes for sale soon, the seating just wont fit the current people.
    Those extra jet engines in a model A may be handy.

Hnstray likes this.
  26. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

They quit teaching penmanship also. Have you noticed how most young people hold a pen now days? Have you noticed how their writing, no, scrawling is a better word, is mostly illedgible?

Hnstray likes this.
  27. the ones on the column are even worse, I can't get my foot up high enough to use them.

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I know! Can't even read it either.

williebill, Texas57 and Blue One like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You guys got a bunch of 16 year olds sending you hand written notes these days? Lol

bonneville bones likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

Get a Step Down Hudson. Plenty of room!