Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Standard transmission question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firstinsteele, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Hey, I realize the answer may be suggestive, but need to know. I may need a transmission for my '50 Buick. A used one. One, perhaps two, has been located .
    Question is, how much should one pay for a used standard transmission? It has been many years since I bought one. All answers appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben

2. alchemy

alchemy

Anywhere from $1 to $1,000. Depends on what kind. I'd think a 50 Buick would be a lot closer to the low end. Make sure to open the cover and peek inside any transmission you buy. Check every tooth on every gear to make sure they are there. Check the lube for dirt and sparkles. See if it shifts smoothly. Turn the shafts to make sure the bearings aren't worn or rusty. Maybe you'll get lucky and you could use it as-is. Or maybe it only needs a few parts.

Hnstray and Bluestone like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Man , there is no answer to that. Depends on if you need it? How rare is it? Is it guaranteed? But you knew that! I have purchased three speeds , good for fifty bucks and have paid four hundred for four speeds. I would imagine in between there should be the price.

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  4. Price depends on if they guy can tell your really excited to see the trans.Dont tell him you"ve been looking at swap meets for years for one.Be willing to walk if he gives a crazy price.

5. Thanks, guys. about what I expected. Plain ole three speed. Wants $400. Guess I will go see what condition it is in.

Ben

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I can see why you posted, seems a little high to me also.....but they are not on every corner. Supply and demand! But at $400 I would insist on a written guarantee, as to it being a working transmission.

Bones

Hnstray and irishsteve like this.
  7. From my experience, Buick standard transmissions are hard to source. I paid $100 for my last Chevy overdrive, which I don't think is as difficult to find, but believe I did really well on that transaction.
    Assuming it is in good condition, I might offer a little less, but would be prepared to pay the whole shot.
    I never challenge the seller. At that point in the transaction the transmission is worth what he thinks it is worth. Nothing pisses me off more, than when an assfart tells me what I am selling is overpriced junk, and that he is doing me a favour by taking it off my hands.
    Bob

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Not going to be found on every corner but not a high demand part either. Might try saying you would be willing to go $xxx if he wants to sell it for that, or say if he changes his mind the offer will be open
    unless you find one on your price range. At least that way you leave on somewhat better terms. Of course if you need it now that will not work, but I have had it work for me in the past.

flatford39 likes this.
  9. I might be cheaper and better to adapt to a better newer transmission.? sometimes all it takes is a plate and some drilling to make a adapter.

Boneyard51 and j-jock like this.
  10. I WISH. Like nothing better than a T5 or some such. The Buick is torque tube drive. NOW it gets complicated and pricey.

No, they are not on every corner. The one I have located is in a respected salvage yard. I guess the price is in the ball park. I will have a looksee next week. Need a short road trip anyway.

Mine has been getting more growley for about a year. Week ago, stuck in 1st. I had to unhook linkage and use leverage to get it into neutral. Took a drive yesterday with many stop /starts and it is working normally. Not knowing why and the growl has me gunshy. Tentative plan is to get another, make sure it is good to go and swap them out then determine the causes. That is what I am thinking, anyway.

Thanks
    Ben

11. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I believe a 50 Buick still has a torque tube. Hard to adapt a newer unit to unless you use the torque tube eliminator kit.

(edit)I don't type very fast

12. 50 has a torque tube. What exactly is a torque tube eliminator kit??

Hnstray likes this.
  13. On one hand there aren't a lot of those trans out there for sale....but on the other hand its not a 39 Ford box full of Lincoln gears,or a LaSalle box with a flathead adapter bolted to it.Work his down a bit.Ask him how long he"s had it,and how many swap meets he had to bring it home from.

14. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

15. Ben,
    One of the methods I have sometimes been able to use to determine the value of an oddball item, is to use the ebay search on the price of items that have been sold through ebay. Depending on the number of items that have been sold, it can sometimes be a useful indicator as to the value.
    Another thing to consider, is that I don't know all the parts that interchange from Pontiac, Olds, and Cadillac transmissions of the same years, but it might be worthwhile to look at just putting new gears in your transmission and using synthetic 75W-90, or even 140 in the rebuilt box.
    Bob

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If it was me..... I would take it out and take it apart and see what’s what. Now I know nothing of that transmission. But most three speeds are fairly simple. Might just need new bearings and then you know it’s a good transmission. Myself, I hate putting transmissions and clutches in, but working on the three speed on a bench, would be fun! Just me....

Bones

17. inthweedz

inthweedz

I agree with Boneyard51, you're taking the old one out whichever way you go.. Take it out and strip it, it's probably only in need of bearings which would only cost a few $$, and if this is not the case, you'll only waste a few hours before the road trip to the wrecker..

Hnstray, firstinsteele and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. Usually the bearings in the manual transmissions are available 'over the counter' or from on-line suppliers.
    What you will need to do is to take the trans apart to determine what bearings are bad.
    Gaskets can be made from sheet gasket material. (I have even made gaskets from the flat cardboard that is used to make cereal boxes).

In all cases, if the pilot bushing in the crank is worn, this can allow misalignment under load and can cause problems with noise, or in extreme cases popping out of gear.
    When is the transmission noisy? By that question I mean: [with engine running]
    1. If there is noise when the car is not in motion and the clutch pedal is depressed, the fault is the throwout bearing.

2. If the noise occurs when the trans is in neutral, and the clutch pedal is released. In this case, the engine is just turning the input shaft of the trans, so the input bearing is toast.

3. If there noise when driving the car, in first or second gear, but NOT in third. then it is the intermediate shaft bearings, or the bearings the countershaft.
    4. Having eliminated all the above, if there is noise anytime the car is in motion under power, then it is likely the tailshaft bearing.

5. if so, in this case you may also hear this noise under power in reverse as well?

6. Or, is there noise that is there on acceleration, but not on deceleration? This can be caused by worn hardsurface facing on the gears. This is normally caused by poor maintenance, and the transmission fluid been allowed to run low.

Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. #4 maybe? I will have to check closer tomorrow.

Thanks
    Ben

Def #4. Comes in about 1200 rpm, each gear, and grows.

Ben

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

You really should take apart, clean and refurbish as necessary a new to you used transmission, so you may as well do it to your existing transmission first.
    And if it turns out that you can use your own transmission, then you can have the satisfaction of telling the seller that his $400 price is too high, you aren't interested, good bye.

I like to rotate the countershaft a half turn to equalize wear on it as well, when it comes out of the case.

j-jock likes this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hell yeah! You got beer?

Bones

56premiere likes this.
  23. One more point. It isn't that complex to redo a transmission, just be careful with the synchros. One suggestion, would be to buy a GM shop service manual for a car of that vintage. There may be a closer year than the 55 manual, I am just posting it as an example. There is a lot of other great information in the GM manuals that makes them worth the cost.

Something like this one
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Buick...ctrical-Guide-OE/130741205066?fits=Make:Buick
    Bob

24. What kind?

Ben

Boneyard51 and 56premiere like this.

25. Is there any other kind... COLD !

26. what model Buick do you have, Special, Roadmaster, ? I know that the early 1930-1940 Buicks had different transmissions for the different models. Since you have to remove yours anyhow, just do as others have suggested, take yours apart, and check to see what the problem may be. Try contacting F & J, here on the HAMB. I know that
    Frank is an Oldsmobile guy, but he is very knowledgeable on early Buick transmissions too.

firstinsteele and Atwater Mike like this.
  27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Jyd, cold and free in a brown bottle.

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Miller lite!

Bones

29. Nice summary that can be applied to any manual trans that is making noise.