Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. wallyringo

wallyringo

good luck with that, I checked a few years ago and no one made them. I bought a 60`s B body door still and cut them to fit.

stillrunners likes this.
  2. Old Ray

Old Ray

Sorry I mean no disrespect, it is my problem not yours, BUT even with owning them I find the Chrysler dysfunctional naming of models very confusing, but the I'm old. Which car model in particular, probably any of these ?

Cars using the rear-wheel-drive B platform include:

Five different wheelbases were available:

• 116 in
    • 115 in
      • 1971–1979 2-door models
      • 1975–1979 Chrysler Cordoba
    • 117 in
      • 1965–1970 Dodges
      • 1967–1974 Plymouth wagons
      • 1971–1974 Plymouth 4 doors
    • 117.5 in
      • 1975–1978 Plymouth and Dodge 4 doors and wagons
    • 118 in

3. wallyringo

wallyringo

Old Ray here`s what i did. Now this worked for me and my car might not work for you. I have a 1955 Plymouth Savoy. I purchased door stills from Classic Industries here in California. It was a close fit but not perfect. I did some trimming with the hand shears. Good luck.
    https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/search/?q=mb2259

Attached Files:

4. abloch

abloch

Louvers! Thanks John! aka Johnny99 FURY.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  5. Old Ray

Old Ray

6. montanabill

montanabill

Hey guys, I finally found my info on the door sill guy and gave him a call. He's located in New Jersey and builds sill plates for just about any vehicle. Took about three weeks and he shipped me a pair of sills he built and they are great. Not cheap but very nice and I'm glad to get them. Got the front fenders and bumper and grille on. Got the radiator mounted and the electric pusher fan installed and wired I had to use because of clearance issues. I can finally see the end in sight. A little wiring to do, an oil leak to track down, and the exhaust system to install. Been a five year project but things are finally coming together. Can't wait to get her on the road and see how it handles with the torsion bar suspension and the LA 318 and TorqueFlight.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. 55 Royalty

55 Royalty

First time poster, long time reader. My project 55 Custom Royal Lancer once finished I will probably be living out of it. Don't worry the wheels are going.

Attached Files:

stillrunners likes this.
  8. montanabill

montanabill

Couldn't exactly locate where the engine oil leak was. Coming out of the flywheel cover at the rear of the engine. Ended up replacing the rear main seal on the LA 318. Nasty job involving taking off the headers again, taking off some steering parts, pulling the motor mount bolts and lifting the engine about three inches to get clearance to get the oil pan off. Of course had to drain the new radiator and unhook hoses and belts to get the job done. Getting ready in a couple minutes to fire it up and check for leaks again. If it's tight tomorrow is exhaust system day. Got all new parts from the headers to the back so I'm hoping that will go fairly smoothly. Will keep you posted.

9. drtracer01

drtracer01

Hey folks, Louisiana guy here, recently acquired the '56 savoy in the picture. I have been following this thread for some time now, LOTS of great info for these cars. I also plan on doing the Dakota clip swap, i had a local junkyard cut one out for me already. If anyone is looking for a factory V8 to swap into their car, i have the 277 poly pulled out and do not plan on using it.

10. Nice.....good luck with it....I'm still running a 277 because the damn thing won't die !

11. drtracer01

drtracer01

Thank you stillrunners. This has one cylinder with low compression, none of the usual tricks brought it back up, otherwise it ran fine. It also came with the factory 4-barrel.

12. George

George

The single 4 bl intake is hard to find.

13. drtracer01

drtracer01

That's what I understand, seems to have been the rarest option that year. It would make a great donor for a 6-cylinder car.

14. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Hey I got a 55 dodge that I bought which already had been changed to 12 volt. He rewired most of the front things, I changed out the wiper motor to 12 volt. My problem is the brake lights and turn signals. at the back. the flashers work but when I step on the brakes it blows the fuse. the wires that run to the taillights go into the headliner and than to the lights. do you think that maybe I have a wire grounding out up there where I can't see them?

15. How did I miss this one !!!!!!! Nice Fury there.....

16. Tail lights should be running along the rocker panel at the top by the seat under the aluminum door apron....not to the courtesy lights in the head liner......

17. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

that's where I looked first, but I followed them from the tail lights forward and they go up in to the roof.

18. abloch

abloch

A '56 for page 56. Furygarage.jpg

MOTOV8N and stillrunners like this.
  19. Old Ray

Old Ray

I have a Plymouth, so not sure about the Dodge having separate turn and brake bulbs, But on mine, if the turn signals work but the brakes light don't, it has to be a short to ground somewhere from the brake light switch to the turn signal switch (including in the switch) as the same bulbs are used for both the turn and stop light circuits. Depending on the the turn signal switch model the turn signal switch also cancels the brake light to the side that is turning.

20. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

to clarify, A add on turn signal is being used because the one in the column was messed up, also a brake light switch is being used one the pedal instead of on the master cyl. So than the flashers work but the turn signals and brake lights are on the same circuit. The turn signals work until I brake, blowing out the fuse. On the original wiring , the fuse is integrated in the switch. on my car a fuse block was added. Thanks for your help. Wiring is one thing I IMG_20190331_fuse block.jpg don't like to deal with.

stillrunners likes this.
  21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Look up the many turn signal threads. I have posted
    this information before.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Old Ray

Old Ray

So, the brake light switch / wiring are grounding out the circuit blowing the fuse. Try disconcerting the brake light switch wire and see if it still shorts out? The brake light switch might be wired wrong?

23. Old Ray

Old Ray

....... guess not, huh ?

24. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Thanks for your advise, sorry I have been sick and haven't been able to work on it. Plus other irons in the fire. Thanks again!

25. Happy 56 page post and all the best in the season !

26. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

Another 56 for page 56.
    Just got this a couple weeks ago, that lead me to this thread. rebuild the carb (surprised, 4 barrel) and the brakes were horrible. Tried adjusting the bellow type booster but ran out of patience and went modern with duel MS. Now I got brakes! Looking fwd to getting her all cleaned up and ready for a cruise.

Attached Files:

stillrunners and abloch like this.
  27. abloch

abloch

Congratulations! and welcome to the thread Bbdakota. I had my eye on that car, too. Great score!

28. montanabill

montanabill

Hi Bbdakota. Same brake system I installed on my "55". I have disc brakes front and drums rear so I added a proportioning valve too. It's good to have brakes. Good luck with your detailing and fix-it projects. Seems like there is always something to do when you have a 65 year old car. This forum is a wealth of information and filled with good folks who don't mind helping with problems as you restore your ride. Nice Dodge!

stillrunners likes this.
  29. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

Thanks Bill!

30. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

Thanks! I'm liking it!