Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds Rocket into a Shoebox Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwiandy, Sep 14, 2019.

1. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Does anybody have any pics of a 303 or 324 Olds in a shoebox? I’m getting mine sorted and need to see how others have got around the steering?
    I’m using a T350 adapted trans from Ross Race Engines and one of their compact starters. IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1417.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0575.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. desotot

desotot

I see a modified oil pan in your future but there were at one time modified drag links available for sbc in ford shoebox.

kiwiandy and JeffB2 like this.
  3. Bobbleed just found a survivor with an Olds Rocket in a shoebox.... Maybe he could shed a little bit of old school light on the subject!

Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

kiwiandy likes this.
  5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I have a friend who is doing the same thing, he's using a Volvo steering box. Car Craft Feb 1956 has an article on this and The Story of a California Hot Rodder by Jay Carnine has a story about this.

kiwiandy likes this.
  6. 42merc

42merc

The fix is a DROPPED TIE ROD, very common in the day & easily fabricated.
    Someone will provide a picture from an old magazine article.

kiwiandy likes this.
  7. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Thanks. Asked for some pics but no luck

8. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

I think they put the engine in on an angle?

9. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

10. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

That was initially my plan however the oil pump and pickup sit hard down into the rear of the pan

11. BigRRR

BigRRR

Have 371 in 50 mercury ... Engine is at a good angle/ starter is relocated on passenger side ... stock manifold sits right on steering box ... otherwise linkage clears pan...
    upload_2019-10-5_21-30-32.png

12. You need a dropped drag link , did that when I put a 55 Olds. in a 50 ford back in 62 .

13. The trick we used back in the 60s to solve the starter problem, was to buy a starter crossover. This was an easy swap into the truck than into the car.

The link is expired, but excellent pictures of a crossover.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...er-oil-filter-bypass-303-324-371-394.1101771/

Did you look on the everything Olds thread for some tips?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ll-other-posts-lasalle-related.149650/page-22

Used crossovers have been advertised on HAMB, but you can also do a google search using this string -- Olds 1949 -1960 starter "crossover" . It will get you plenty of results, and I hope you find one at a reasonable price.

I never did it, but some guys that swapped in engines with starter clearance issue, moved the engine to the right, off the frame centerline.
    Bob

14. I didn't use an olds in my 49 but I did use a sbc. I flipped the spindle supports and heated and bent the steering arms and used a pitman arm with a deeper drop from a different car...seems like it was an Olds of some kind but I don't remember. I raised the engine about 3/4th inch higher off the mount brackets to clear the steering linkage... Rockbox3.jpg rockyboxmotor.jpg

kiwiandy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. I later boxed in the motor mount spacers....

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

I built a 324 Olds out of a 55 Olds into a 49 business coupe. The mounts and starter adapter to move it to the passenger side were available from J.C. Whiney. We dropped the drag link and drove it daily until rust ate it away.

kiwiandy likes this.
  17. here a picture we made it for a friend chev in a 50 ford . may be it will help
    Ray

Attached Files:

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Starter "crossovers" are hard to find and expensive. It took me almost a year to find a good one for less than $500.