Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical They Don't Seem To Know Anything

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Sep 16, 2019.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I went to a car show yesterday and was looking at various cars of interest for ideas, information and opinions on front and rear suspension, interior/glass/garnish molding installation and more. I found various cars with things of interest that pertained to my current project and on several occasions I lucked out that the owner was nearby and I could ask questions. That's all good, but in almost every case the owner didn't seem to know hardly anything about the car. One fellow didn't have the foggiest idea of what kind of suspension the back of his car had. Another example was a fellow who was intent on telling me how easy it is to get parts and where to get them but couldn't seem to even grasp the questions I had of installation information. Of the half-dozen or so owners I talked with I don't think even one had built his own car, but they sure had the lawn chairs, cooler and folding canopy part of car shows down pat.

I'm back to doing searches, research and perhaps a little bit of math to determine how to accomplish what I want to achieve. I guess that's probably better anyway since my wife says straining my 67 year old brain will keep it working!

Lynn

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think the build threads are the best part of the HAMB. The comments are often informative

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yea, this is what happens when, while there is automotive interest...it all comes from their wallet More money than desire for the actual build..!
    "Here's a check, call me when it's done". Still a lot of people that way.

Me, I'd rather skimp and save, build my own car and know every inch of it. If I don't know how to do something, learn how. Books, various forums, mostly...trial and error.

Mike

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Yup. Tells me that they didn't build their cars or they just buy what looks good to them with out knowing anything about the parts.

My point is that I do know a couple of guys who do the exact same. Only they spew what they hear with no knowledge at all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike and 3340 like this.
  6. Often it's those guys that are willing to step up and buy the cars that we build. I'm ok with that.

I do take issue when they claimed to have built the car when their "build" included writing the check and changing the air cleaner and the dice hanging from the mirror

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I agree with Mike, there comes great knowledge when having your hands on every part and a personal satisfaction as well.

reagen, Runnin shine, Mahty and 3 others like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm guessing this was/is the case at any kind of car event but in the pastel paint and tweed interior days of street rodding this was standard fair at all the Goodguys shindigs.
    Many times a simple question got the "Bambi in the headlights" look, this usually led to needing to get under a car and get my own answers.
    I think it boils down to how some people chase whatever is trending at the time, the fad of the year, etc.

Spooky and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

About 2002 or 3 I was sitting having breakfast with a friend and a friend of his and I remember having the conversation about guys that only pay to have there car built but don't get there hands dirty. I went on and on about my opinion for a good hour. I had just gotten done building a 67 Shelby GT 350 at the time and the guy that owned it was driving me crazy.
    Long story short I built three cars for the freind of the freind.
    Can't say I understand it other than they are better at making money than I am.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  10. Sporty45

Sporty45

I can only dream of having that kind of disposable cash, until then I'll be out in the garage working on my own someday hot rod! ;)

11. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...I am not a expert but I have come across a few of the what I call the know it alls,....I was at a show and this guy was telling another guy that he could not fit a sbc into a 51 chevy! the guy that had the 51 started telling me about his 51 chevy and how a v8 would not fit, I opened my hood of my 51 and said take a look that is a v8....there are many who know and then there are many that are full of it. miller

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Lots of "Experts" at car shows, cruises, get used to it. If BS was brass in our great Hobby, Big Band sound for sure, take away the BS, you have 2/3 drunks in a tavern playing Kazoo's. The vast majority of cars are purchased, have been in the Hobby forever, only have know a few scratch builders, It's takes a different/special man to spend years to build in his garage his dream. Myself, I do not fit that mold, but have much respect for that man. We all can enjoy the Hobby and with time you will learn to sort through the BS., always do the research yourself, contact the Tech dept of products you want to purchase, the Tech here is pretty good, again, don't believe everything you read here or anywhere as well meaning guys sometimes overstep their skill/facts with BS. Enjoy! the Hobby, that's what it's about.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Kan Kustom, i.rant, ffr1222k and 4 others like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

As long as they don't say they build it, I think it's OK for them to have the car and enjoy it. I go and buy a pizza to enjoy, but I don't say I made it from scratch. And there's no way I could tell you what's in the dough. But it still tastes good!

14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Those gold chained, I bought me a hot rod or custom car types used to really piss me off. I would see them sitting under their canopy in their $100 lawn chairs, drinking wine coolers and not even bother to get up to make fun of the other cars at all. I must be getting mellow in my old age as any more I just ignore them and check out the cars and people I can better relate to. I guess it all boils down to those that have the bucks (or put on the show like they do) can have what they want and the rest of us get along the best we can and enjoy building what we can afford to.

15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Had a guy come over yesterday to check out my '32 project. He drove his street rod here. He asked some questions that simply amazed me, actually caught me off guard a bit. I thought he had built his car but after talking for a couple hours I think he just paid different people to do almost every phase of his build. He asked several times "who did your XXXXX" or "where did you buy that xxxx". Never dreaming that the answer was "I built it" or "I made that".

At first that struck me odd but the more I thought about it I was OK with it. He has a running, driving street rod that he drives every chance he gets and enjoys it. It's not my style of car, it's more street roddy than I would want but he enjoys it. He seemed amazed that I was doing everything by myself (with a couple of exceptions). He has a group of friends that seem to do the same deal.

Takes all kinds to make this hobby work, I just happen to be the kind that enjoys the build more than the car. Others, not so much.

SPark

16. upspirate

upspirate

I have bought a few cars that were "done", but always gave credit where credit was due.
    I started out with just replacing some stuff and personalizing,pulling and hopping up the engine, but farmed out the body/paint, (filled the glass fender wheel wells myself, but had the finish stuff done), head work, and new rag-top made.
    Each one I evolved to learning new skills and doing myself.
    I've been collecting parts for a from scratch build for over 25 years now, but don't think I'll get that one done due to health, and lack of interest, both mine, and my wife couldn't care less and doesn't like to ride in them.
    Decided to get out of the car hobby, and concentrate on my boat and travel by boat desires. Only so much time left and needed to choose my priorities

17. lake_harley

lake_harley

I really do understand all the sides of the builder/buyer discussion but I would have thought I'd luck into some percentage of builders. I also agree....thank goodness for buyers too! But, I was at a car show, not quizzing a Prius owner about specifics of his car in a grocery store parking lot.

Lynn

Texas57 and upspirate like this.
  18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It takes all kinds in our hobby. I have built; I have bought. I have rebuilt bought. Who cares what someone else does? At least they are owning and driving something old.

i.rant, Tim, Mahty and 15 others like this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I go to more than a few shows a year. When you truly find someone who knows a thing about cars, the conversation will get lengthy. And you will have a friend for life. You will see them often and realize they know the same people you do. It`s a small world out there.

31hotrodguy, Oldb, deucemac and 6 others like this.
  20. mickeyc

mickeyc

wicarnut likes this.
  21. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have a project that would be much farther along if
    I would have sought some outside help. I enjoy the
    hands on process immensely. I have come to realize
    my talents are suspect. Still I labor on, learning as I go.
    I am considering a very nicely built vehicle that I
    saw for sale. The owner answered all my inquires
    with first hand knowledge since he built the vehicle
    himself. I have a couple of friends that are brothers and
    capable builders. They buy a few quality hot
    rods and or restorations as well. I guess it works both
    ways. I can relate to the question thing as well. I will
    attempt to discuss a particular item pertaining to a vehicle usually to be met with a blank stare or a
    complete load of bullshit. I just nod and move along.

wicarnut likes this.
  22. chrisp

chrisp

I like people who sign checks to build their cars, that is how I make a living and it allows me to work on so many cars I wouldn't be building otherwise. Plus this is how I learn the skills to build my cars :D

Mahty, Dick Stevens, egads and 6 others like this.
  23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

On the flip side, I've seen some owners that proudly built-not-bought their cars and you would never want their information or opinions when setting up your suspension. :D

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

took a photo of a 40 Buick at a show and the guy must have thought that made his car special to me and I wanted to hear all about it. telling me all the cool stuff he did. the rear fenders were molded to the body, and he showed me where he did the same thing to the fronts, only problem was there was never a seam where he pointed and the fenders were made that way. said he did all the work on the car.

guess he thought lying to me would make him some sort of hero. I think the rules for being a good liar is never lie to people who know the subject at hand. a buddy is a big liar, and made the mistake of lying to another buddy from my work about guitars who is in a local band. next day at work he asked me if my buddy was a bull shitter, told him yes, but not a very good one.

31hotrodguy and Atwater Mike like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

That's gottta be one of my all-time favorite flicks... :D

F-ONE and raven like this.
  26. Built or bought, I usually have no problem with either. Bought is simple economics for a lot of guys; with the market being down as many of us 'age out', buying a finished car for it's parts-only build cost (or less) can be hard to walk away from. The guys that claim they built theirs but obviously didn't get short shrift from me, but they're not that common. Quite a few 'bought' cars showed up this year at the shows/cruise-ins I attend, but the encouraging thing was about half of them had new owners that wouldn't be eligible for Social Security for many years so the hobby is getting some new blood. About half of those were '60s muscle cars, but at least we're getting them in the door... LOL

wicarnut and Special Ed like this.
  27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Im now 40, I literally grew up building, being around builds, and going to car shows. There was a long period of time where my dad had put work into most every hot rodded car in my home town. Nowdays when I go to a show the old farts are always amazed that I know what theyre talking about. When I was able to walk and talk a lot of old farts hated when I'd come by.
    Dad loves telling about when i was 5 and at a show and an antiquer was trying to tell a guy his original restored model a was all steel, I tugged on his shirt and pointed out that he had glass fenders, and how you could tell they were glass by feeling the under side and lack of the wire rolled in. He turned 50 shades of red, busted by a kid.

28. I have a story that explains the mind of a true hotrodder. My buddy is not well enough to do a project, so he decided to buy a beautifully finished truck. He built a small garage where he thought he would be able to keep it pristine and do regular maintenance.
    That lasted two months. He tore the whole interior, (that I would have killed to have), apart, and replaced the seats and over 50 percent of the other trim. He bought new wheels, replacing a beautiful set of chrome wheels. And I could go on.
    He basically went through the truck from front to back and made it his own. The guys that buy a hotrod or custom, or have one done, without having any input into the process, don't contribute to the hobby in any way. It is just another toy to them. It is also dispicible that they take their trophy cars to shows, and accept awards for other people's work.
    Other than that, I don't have an opinion on the issue.
    Bob

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I attended the Slo Poks uptown cruise this summer and talked to a bunch of fellas that have forgotten more about cars than I will ever acquire. My point is, if your the smartest one in the group, find a better group, otherwise you aint never gonna learn nothin.

30. I'm totally right there with you! Only, I'm the 40 year old "kid" there with a Deuce coupe that I can't even change the oil in without help. My dad's right. All the original builders are a dying breed.
    Jack%20Bell%20Milners%20Coupe%20(13).jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Toner283, OLSKOOL57 and wicarnut like this.