Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FUEL VAPOR LOCK

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnrfray, Sep 9, 2019.

1. 48 Merc truck flathead

Ive read a hundred posts on this , why can we just put in a vapor canaster of some kind or a return line back to the tank. This would give the vapor someplace to go ?

2. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Put on an electric fuel pump and your troubles are over.
    Pete

eicke, loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

We used to wrap the fuel lines in tin foil to prevent vapor lock years ago.
    Jimbo

RusTnut likes this.
  4. A return regulator works well, keeps the fuel cooler- also a plastic or phenolic spacer under the carb.

loudbang and RusTnut like this.

5. RusTnut

RusTnut
    from MN-FL

“Borrowing” wooden clothes pins and using them for heat sinks. Thanks Mom.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561, loudbang and 325w like this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The return fuel line is your best bet . Many older fuel pumps had a small orifice between the pressure and suction chambers of the pump to help with this condition . Newer fuel makes the issue worse than years ago also . China has stopped us from being able to purchase good quality parts anywhere anymore .

Boneyard51, loudbang and King ford like this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

China didn't cause the problem with poor quality parts. Us, you and me, continually wanting things at the cheapest possible price is what caused the poor quality. When we had a choice of cheap stuff or more expensive good stuff, we chose the cheap stuff too often and it became unprofitable to produce the good stuff that no one wanted to spend the money on. China provided an opportunity for companies to buy really cheap stuff so they could sell it to us, the buying public cheaper, and still make a profit. Gene

8. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I agree wholeheartedly with those suggesting a bypass regulator. This ethanol shit that many of are forced to buy boils very easily and keeping a constant flow with what the engine doesn't burn returning to the tank keeps it cooler.....this E 85 and E 90 also needs more jet in carburetors that worked great on real gasoline....

loudbang likes this.
  9. part numbers anyone, fuel pump ,bypass

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Gene, you are right, I rarely hear this, as it is kinda unpopular......telling the truth......sometimes it hurts. I would also include corporate greed taking an unfair advantage of the situation, to please the shareholders .
    My Dad predicted this back in the early sixties. A friend of his came over in a brand new German built air cooled vehicle. I could tell my Dad was not keen on it, after the friend left I asked my Dad what he didn’t like about it? He said “ it’s built in the wrong country. If people keep buying that foreign crap we’ll all be out of work! “. That was in 1962!!! Well here it is!

Bones

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn't afford a Kool-Can for my 50 Ford the few times I ran it at the OKC Fairgrounds dragstrip. Engine vapor locked when I would run it. Grapefruit was cheap. Cut one in half and slap that sucker over the top of the fuel pump. Worked like a charm. Now, if I had been able to keep water in it, but that's another story.

12. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

If you just understand what vapor lock is and what causes it, it's easy to construct a fuel system that will not have that problem.

13. Ok so an inline pump is what I got , where is the best place to mount it ? I got a large filter at the tank and one before fuel pump,

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  14. As close to the tank as you can get it.
    Electric pumps “Push” fuel much more efficient and effectively than they can pull it.
    Sounds like you’re pulling fuel thru 2 filters - trying to protect the pump from shit in the fuel?? Do you need a trash pump instead?

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing wrong with having two filters on the line. I've done that on most of my rigs.
    Vapor lock is due to a heat source being too close to the fuel line in 90% of the cases. The gas boils in the line and the mechanical pump won't pump the vapors.
    something like this Wix filter for Mopar would be the simple way to hook up a return line on a rig with a pump with no return line. https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-Complete-Line-Filter/dp/B000C9UJAU
    They should be on the shelf at the local O'Reillys.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...05/6bf814fc80d2/wix-fuel-filter/33041/4832395

Still a heat shield and some insulation over the fuel line go a long way to fight vapor lock.

16. Not there’s anything wrong with it,,,
    Hell you can wear Two pairs of underwear too if you want. Some guys run 2 pumps, it covers the symptoms but it’s not fixing the problem.

Two filters before this electric fuel pump is really a bad idea. It puts out 2.5-4.5...
    013B37EB-4D83-4FB7-B137-DDBE20D85A3E.png

17. I once had a 57 Pontiac super chief with the stock AFB carb and every time I'd leave my dad's house I'd make it about 1/2 up the 5 mile grade to the top of the mountain before the engine vapor locked and quit. Had to sit on the side of the road for 45 minutes before continuing on my way.
    Right now I have a 57 Pontiac engine powering my 34 ford with one AFB carb, mechanical pump and the fuel regulator turned down to 5 lbs....never, ever vapor locked with no insulator below the carb and I'm using ethanol. Only thing I can figure is my car has better air flow in the engine room than the old 57 did.
    Go figure.

18. Bones, you and Gene are both so absolutely correct. My Dad calls it “The Walmarting of America”. Most everybody is searching for the cheapest good or service. I’m always amazed at what people will put up with to “get a good deal”. Gosh, I miss Sears and non-nationwide Mom and Pop auto parts stores.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

My pops used to keep a grapefruit on ice in a cooler when he went on long trips.
    Thanks for the memory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.