Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Featured Classifieds: 1941 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Evidence piled up pretty high over the evening. As such, I've deleted the ad and banned the user. Once this flushes out legally I will report back with all the details.

2. You are a regular Hercule Poirot @Ryan!

Beanscoot, Thor1, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Yesterday I sent a conversation to the guy asking for a phone number and I am ready to fly to California, but all I hear are crickets.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Only use friends or family for … friends or family. Using it for goods or services is 1- dishonest 2 - you loose all your paypal protections. Just add the 3 percent fees to your end of it if the seller doesn't want to pay them.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

a year ago i bought an item here from a hamber using regular paypal. the money was put on a 3 day hold for the seller. first time that ever happened to me or the seller, so i called them up to ask why. they said it was to keep the money until the buyer was satisfied with the order. they then suggested i always use friends and family. i told them i was just trying to be honest and allow them to get they're slice of profit, but the guy said to just use friends and family instead. so, i had to cancel the pmt, and redo the transaction with friends and family to get it done.

woodsnwater likes this.
  6. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

He couldn't wait 3 days? I never cash my money out of paypal , I know I'll spend it out of there eventually and you don't pay any fees if you don't cash out. Or that's how it used to be.

7. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like woodsnwater said above, using "friends and family" for a Paypal transaction when they are not is simply theft and as a buyer you lose any protection if the deal goes south. I refuse to do that and will add 3% to the payment instead to cover the seller's cost for Paypal fees. Depending on the deal and the size of the payment, it is on me to decide if I want to pay the additional 3 percent or not.

An old saying applies here...

“What’s wrong is wrong and will always be wrong, even if everyone is doing it. What’s right is right and will always be right, even if nobody is doing it.”

8. Never heard that one. HRP

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am black and white on integrity and honesty . And friends and family say I am that way to a fault, I believe in the good Lord above and like I tell them " I am what I am ". Even when somebody you never meant before is shooting a line of bull at you , and you sense it or know they are , that's it for me . I am done with them. Goodbye, period.

10. catdad49

catdad49

I was told once, "Give him the benefit of the doubt". I Did, there was No doubt. Gone!

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree completely that it is dishonest and ‘theft of services’ to use ‘friends and family’ when purchasing goods. I refuse to do that. The PayPal employee who recommended that was either ill informed or not a very principled person himself. His obligation is to his employer to follow their policies, not his own.

All that said, I dislike the ‘hold on funds to the seller’, though I understand it is a means of buyer protection. But conversely, it doesn’t protect the seller from a dishonest buyer....and they certainly exist too.

The vast majority of my PalPal purchases are with businesses/vendors and have been problem free. For private party transactions I more often use USPS Money Orders, but only after having at least one phone conversation with the seller and reaching a comfort level with who they are. I have been on both sides of the deal many times and am happy to report almost all agreed transactions worked out as planned. Those few that did not eventually got resolved.

Ray

trulyvintage and Thor1 like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My thoughts exactly on the money hold with PayPal same as yours. I am honest and I know the buyer will get what he asked for so that part I am not a fan of. Problem with eBay is they support buyers even the bottom of the barrel ones.

13. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I sent him a conversation Wednesday and still haven't heard anything, I knew it was to good to be true.

14. Budget36

Budget36

What I find strange is how was the guy going make use of scam, if he's not replying to anyone? Could just be a banned HAMB'er trolling to get his jollies?

15. I would guess that the 3% isn't worth the hassle to Paypal on a lot of purchases so it wouldn't surprise me if their agents are told to tell certain people to use friends and family. It also wouldn't surprise me that they have figured out that the people that phone and complain about things like the 3 day hold because they haven't bothered to learn how the system works before they use it are also the one that will take up the most time complaining about other things in the future and tie up reps time for little return.

One thing I have learned over the years having dealt with customers of all types my whole career is that those that complain the most are also the ones you make the least amount of money on.

47ragtop, eddie1, williebill and 2 others like this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is the gospel truth there!! ;)

Ray

17. He can't post if he was banned , but Ryan banned the OP after the post was made. HRP

18. Budget36

Budget36

I saw saw that-being banned-I meant why wasn't he replying to the folks who pm'ed him? I guess since he said "I expect some tire kickers...etc" he was hoping to get a sight unseen deal worked out since he intimated it was fine to look at it.

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It is just not a 3 day hold on high value sales.

20. That's my whole point. Why would PayPal want their reps tied up dealing with two clowns fighting over a $20 sale or some guy that doesn't know how things work and is bitching that his money hasn't been released yet. The .60 they get is not worth their time. The reason they offer Friends and Family is they hope that people who aren't worried about losing a small sum will take the chance and basically leave PayPal out of it. They want people to job the system so they don't have to deal with all the bullshit on transactions where they are making no money. If they were worried about collecting a nominal fee on every transaction that was made rest assured they would be getting it.

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I get what your saying:). I just use hamb classifieds because you hope to get a better / honest buyer here. Though I did recently sell a 6x2 intake to a guy that just joined to get the manifold. Sent me a USPS money order and as fast as you can say " Bob's your uncle" he had the intake. We are both happy. No fuss , no muss. :):cool:

22. chopndrop

chopndrop

They are making money with Friends and Family, but they take it from the buyer not the seller. And it also leaves the buyer with no protection. I notice lots of hamb sellers insist on the buyer using Friends and Family, but I won't, especially for a large purchase. I add the 3% if they are worried about it.

Thor1 likes this.
  23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good info . I have never researched "family and friends" on PayPal. So most sellers I assume do that so they are not paying the fees .... And low life's do it so the buyer in addition has no protection ?

24. chopndrop

chopndrop

I assume sellers don't want to pay the fees. There used to be an option with PayPal as a buyer to pay the fees, but that's been gone for a long time as best as I can tell.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

PayPal is a business that provides secure financial services to users....both sellers and buyers. Like any other business, they charge for their services and rightly so. You can like or dislike the amount they charge, or some of their policies (as I stated in an earlier post), but a person's recourse is to not do business with or by PayPal.

It never ceases to amaze and/or disappointment me how unwilling many people are to pay for services they receive. Some people are just 'cheapskates' resisting spending their money. Others seem to think it's a game to avoid paying, especially for the less tangible 'services'.

Ray

26. Otto

Otto

27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes there are some amazing people out there and not in a good way:(

28. Barn find.......I'll never understand why a guy would go out and buy all new tires for a barn find before he tried to start the "free" engine. The first thing I'd do would be to try to fire up that engine to determine it's condition.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My post above you "amazing people" can apply here as well.:)

30. alchemy

alchemy

I can rebuild/replace an engine if I can't get it running. But it sure helps to be able to roll the car around in the shop when the tires hold air.