Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y-Block swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meshach, Sep 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I have been tinkering with the 34 coupe and I’m contemplating dropping in a y block. Currently it has a 283 with a s10 T5 behind and I’m thinking it would be pretty straight forward swap?
    I am wanting a build a pretty peppy y-block and I wanted to know what sort of realistic numbers guys are getting. Is 400hp realistic? Or am I in over my head?

loudbang and mctim64 like this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Cost of HP in Y-block Ford is 2X higher then building SBC per HP. But the "Y" is way cooloer as far as I think. 34 Coupe can sh_t an get just fine with around 300hp "Y",and that can be done EZ. Lots more can be done,but it's +++$
    https://hotrodenginetech.com/new-ford-y-block-build-book/ 001 (4).JPG

3. That is an awesome setup!
    I agree and the Y Block is arguably the best sounding engine. Nothing against the SBC but I prefer Ford in Ford and Chevy in Chevy. The 283 in it now is plenty of fun I’ve just always wanted a y block coupe. What does it take to make 300+? And what about super chargers?

loudbang and mctim64 like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

You could order it with 300hp from Ford in 1957,with the super charger. But with out a super charger,and after market parts now 300 is fairly EZ,cam,big bore,an 2x4 or just a big 4bbl and the better intake from http://www.ford-y-block.com/with nice headers.

loudbang likes this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything you need to know about Y-Blocks
    Tim McMaster in Fresno he's here on the Hamb but not of his user name
    http://yblockguy.com/

6. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Looking at it might be a lot of work as the transmission is a S10 WC but it’s chevy boot pattern and it doesn’t look like there’s a Yblock adapter kit

loudbang likes this.
  8. I spoke to him and plan on having him build the engine, outside of the engine the nuances is where it gets hairy.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wilcap makes an adapter.
    BHA 292-FT5

49-64 FORD TO 92 AND EARLIER FORD T5

The adapter is designed to use the stock flywheel, starter, pressure plate, and bellhousing from your engine. the clutch disk used is the corresponding disk matching the transmission input shaft and the pressure plate diameter. For example; if your stock pressure plate for your engine is 11”, you will need an 11” clutch disk with the transmissions input shaft spline

THE FORD BEARING CAN BE TURNED DOWN ON A LATHE THE FORD DIAMETER (1.370”) OR THE FORD BEARING CAN BE MODIFIED TO WORK WITH THE CHEVROLET THROW OUT BEARING ARM. WE RECOMEND THAT the BEARING RETAINER BE TURNED DOWN OR THAT YOU USE A HYDRAULIC THROW OUT BEARING. IN ADDITION, THE LENGTH OF THE T5 BEARING RETAINER MAY NEED TO BE SHORTENED DEPENDING ON YOUR TRANSMISSION MODEL.

j-jock, loudbang and meshach like this.
  10. Yeah I was hoping I could use the s10 t5 so it would be a simple bolt up but looks like I have to track down a ford t5 now

loudbang likes this.
  11. Why in the world waste $$$$$$ on a Y Block???? For the same money it takes to get 400 Hp from one you could get 600 Hp from a FE. Best sounding engine? Heck I bet you could tape the sound of a lot of different engines. and no body could accurately pick any of them. Other than you can tell a Chrysler product from the sound of the starter.

David Chandler and meshach like this.
  12. Lol fair enough, with that thought why not an LS1 or . . .? I have a 427 Windsor sitting in my 53 I’m not using I could put in the 34

loudbang, warbird1 and ffr1222k like this.
  13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Looks like Jon has what you need.

loudbang, 550Coupe and Scumdog like this.
  14. Luckily Ford pattern t5s are pretty common, shouldn’t be hard to find nor terribly expensive. Practically free when compared to having a Yblock custom built.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I would do some basic measurements. You may find the length of a y block problematic. They do have that big timing cover/ water pump up front.

If it was me.....
    I’d make the whole car look like 1958 and trim out the Chevy engine in that configuration. Sedate with painted scripted valve covers, ram horns, early intake with filler, short pump with V belts and fan or dolled up with fined valve covers.
    Sedate or dolled in 1950s fashion, no OHV engine looks better except maybe a Cadillac.
    I like Y blocks OK, but in the vehicles they came in( 1954-1964) cars and trucks.

Ford in a Ford....I’ve been there and I have the T shirt. I have matured or maybe regressed somewhat but my following opinion is this....

If I had a early V8 Ford and was going OHV I would choose either a Early SBC or 331 Cadillac. Why? Because both swaps were common in the period, both fit and both especially the Chevy still have loads of support for this application.

There is a reason why a Chevy was the defacto replacement for the Flathead in a early V8 car.

That’s my opinion but it’s your car.

texasred, Atwater Mike and Moon50F3 like this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

The adapter is ford to ford I am pretty sure he has a chevy trans. When it comes to a ford to ford adapter it is hard to beat MDL (modern drive line). I see SBC made up to look like Y blocks maybe someone will grind a cam with a Y blocks firing order. Just have them grind a 18736542 order cam to get ford sound.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Would that be the same as 15486372 (as God intended) due to the different cylinder numbering schemes?

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

It would be the Ford firing order just using chevy cylinder numbering.

Atwater Mike and Truck64 like this.
  19. texkbc

texkbc

there are several options to adapt the s10 t5 20140208_173225.jpg

j-jock, loudbang, mctim64 and 2 others like this.
  20. texkbc

texkbc

I recessed the firewall IMG_0167.JPG

j-jock, loudbang, mctim64 and 2 others like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Don't listen to Old wolf, his anti Y Block song and dance is as old and tiresome as he is :p:D

Go with the Y block, I had Tim McMaster build the engine for my RPU and it's great.
    as you can see there are options for adapting your transmission.

I went with a C4 because shifting is uncomfortable with my left hip issues.

loudbang, mctim64, JeffB2 and 7 others like this.
  22. Old Wolf must've had a Y block take his lunch money and give him swirlies every day the way he campaigns against them... Ditch the 283, get up with Tim and have a really cool Y done for it it. You wont be disappointed. And there is no sbc that comes close to sounding like a Y block. The firing order makes sure of that. And as for 400hp, that's gonna need a deep wallet. Talk to Tim and im sure he can give you a few options to go with.

loudbang, mctim64, Old wolf and 3 others like this.
  23. What did you use to adapt it? Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  24. Awesome how do you like the engine and what are the specs of it? Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like it a lot, I’ll look at the spec sheet Tim gave me with it when I get home later on.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Naw I lost my Lunch Money trying to beat chevys running Y Blocks. swapped in a FE and won it back.

27. texkbc

texkbc

Speedway t5.JPG oldspwr1.JPG
    I used 2 adapters...there is an old thread by oldspwr that shows the process.
    Purchased adapters from speedway, used 1939 clutch pedal for manual clutch linkage. Changed pilot bushing on motor View attachment 4417863 Speedway t5.JPG , cut off 3/8" from input shaft, Was very easy and has worked well for me

View attachment 4417863

loudbang, meshach and mctim64 like this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

808EC0B5-3D9D-4633-87E8-FDD5A3DC9E6C.jpeg Y-blocks are what I first learned how to rebuild engines on. My Dad bought a 312 T-bird Special out of a junk yard for $45 100% complete in about 1963. He showed me how tear down and inspect for wear, what to take to the machine shop and how to check stuff and put it back together. Was a real good learning experience for me. We took the 223 six out of our 1956 Ford pick up and put the 312 in . Even though it was basically stock , that engine had unbelievable torque! The factory rated it at 245 horsepower I believe. They were big horses!
    Loved to tear up the dirt roads around the ranch when I was a kid..... So you understand I have a soft spot for the Y block.
    It will make a good engine for the OPs car, even if he doesn’t quite get the 400 horses out of it he was wanting. It will still pull hard!
    PS, I still have that 1956 Ford PU in the barn. If you look over the CJ you can see it .

Bones

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I ran a warmed-over Yblock in my '56 Ford in '58, (San Jose) spent lots of hours on 'details', as support was all for SBC back then.
    Some Chevy owners asked after I beat 'em, "Man...Fast Ford. What're you running, Chevy?"
    I lived to hear that... heh, heh.

But when I finally found my '55 F100 in '72, (no engine/tranny) I was gifted with a '69 LT out of my doctor's Corvette. (it had flattened the cam in 12K miles)
    New crate engine, I got the 'core'. Cleaned it up, standard overhaul, Grant rings, F/M bearings, 30-30 cam, cast intake, 600 Holley. P/G trans, 'till I replaced it with 350 T.H.
    Now, I didn't think anything about 'Ford-in-Ford' regarding my F100. It was a 'hot rod pickup', ordained by Hot Rod Magazine, back in 1955:
    "The small block Chevrolet seems to be designed for early Ford flathead replacements, thanks to Zora Arkus-Duntov..."
    That was as good as a blessing. I christened my truck with part of a Budweiser, (clumsily spilled by humble self!)
    Friends and self were still coupe & roadster people, the F100 was my shop truck.
    It was more than O.K. It still is.
    My Journeyman mechanic background taught me to consider each make (or marque) for its properties, yes I have 'preferences', but respect for the MACHINE.
    I like Chrysler engineering, and abide by the old HRM rules:
    Like them or not, they still 'stand':

Chevy in a Ford is O.K.; Ford in a Chevy is NOT O.K.
    Chrysler in a Ford is O.K. Ford (or Chevy) in a Chrysler is NOT 'O.K.'.
    Cad or Olds in Ford was O.K.
    Dean Moon put some Studebakers in Fords, (his '34 Roadster, and his '34 Coupe)
    Somehow, (maybe the Stude's similarity in appearance to Cad?) or the fact that Dean Moon did it made THIS O.K.
    Funny stuff, those 'rules'. But there they are.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  30. a stick shifted 300hp Y block in a 34 will be a fun car! Dont mind the nay sayers, build what you like.