Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with a mechanical temp gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Sep 10, 2019.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This last week end I found a good sw mechanical temp gauge for my single seater project. The problems occurs with the probe, the fitting that holds the probe is 5/8" pipe and my Dodge flathead six only has two places Where the probe can go and both are 3/8" pipe. How do I adapt it down? Went to two speed shops and they didnt have any answers for me. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I think you need to go to a good hardware store or a plumbing supply store, I don’t think that should be that hard to fined. But I could be ugly

Cochise1 likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search summitracing.com for water temp sender adapter kit - with many new gauges there are adapters included.

4. 5/8 pipe?
    Are you sure on this?

RICH B likes this.

5. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

If you can't find an adapter I know i can make one

6. Drill the 3/8 out to 5/8?

Ben

scotty t, olscrounger and jimmy six like this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No I'm not sure if it's 5/8" was assuming it was

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I could but my water pump housing is rare as hens teeth and I don't want to drill it out.

10. 1/2 inch pipe is right above 3/8 pipe.
    This pic is a 1/2 inch pipe bushing,,,the top threads accept a 3/8 pipe thread tube.

Attached Files:

alanp561 likes this.
  11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The left rear corner side of the head is where my sender goes in on my 230, same place on my 46 218. Is your head tapped for the heater feed on the upper right rear corner? Many heads say heater cast right into the head. The one on the water pump is for the heater return line. I can put up pics if needed.

12. No,,,do not butcher your pump housing.
    There are other ways to get a temperature sensor in there!

Tommy

13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Here is a photo, I have a mickey mouse gauge laying on the floor for testing ... 5/8" to me looks about right.
    IMG_20190910_193507561.jpg

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yes I have a sender in the rear corner but with as small as my engine compartment is my oil canister is in the way. My best option is in the water pump housing.

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The thingy behind #6spark plug is the heater valve. You might plumb your sensor there if it's deep enough.

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ha ha! The whole build is ugly so it would fit right in.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think the brass adapter you have with your sender is only one of a few sizes available.

18. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I pulled the radiator and put a bung in that accepted the probe.

19. 31aford

31aford
    from az

Here is an adapter to go from 3/8npt to 5/8 -18 straight thread.

Attached Files:

RICH B, cactus1 and Hnstray like this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

5B5632FA-64ED-4A67-B4CC-335EFF5093F4.jpeg

There are many different size sender adapters made. I have a big assortment set (in the SW display box) I bought off Ebay a decade ago. But your local parts store should be able to get you one also. Do you have a NAPA nearby? No cludgy hardware store fitting-on-fitting parts needed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Hnstray and jimmy six like this.
  21. Just take the gauge to Ace Hardware and go though the brass fittings there to make up the combo you need. Also you need a specific fitting for the Temp gauge bulb to tighten up in. The bulb itself seals against the adapter and the nut on the other side presses against the bulb to seal it. you need that, then you need the corresponding pipe thread adapter to get the sizes to match up in your block. Most of the bulb adapters are 1/2" NPT, a 5/8" pipe thread is huge, the nut on the capillary tubing should take a 5/8 inch wrench to tighten it up.

22. alchemy

alchemy

But if he stacks up adapters, the bulb won't reach into the water to read correctly. He should either order the adapter that 31aford shows, or go to NAPA and have them order one.

Hnstray likes this.
  23. 24riverview

24riverview

24. Driver50x

Driver50x

Be careful about using an adapter that moves the temp sensor bulb out of the water jacket. I’ve made that mistake before.

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

24riverview has provided a link tothe Stewart Warner adaptor hat I had to use almost 60 years ago in order to use a SW gauge in a flathead Ford with pre '49 heads.

Hnstray and alanp561 like this.
  26. BJR

BJR

I have seen core plugs/frost plugs drilled and tapped before for a temp sensor if they are in the correct place to get a good reading.

Driver50x likes this.
  27. partssaloon

partssaloon

Take that nut out of the adapter fitting and look at the seat that is inside the adapter for the tube nut to seal on. That is why you can't use a regular bushing from the hardware store. SW, Autometer, and most all the gauge companies make adapter fitting that go to 3/8" ,1/2" sizes. That is what you need to source at whatever performance shop you use. Regular parts stores don't even usually stock them.

Hnstray likes this.
  28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That adapter won't work because the 5/8 thread is straight. It needs to be a tapered pipe thread.

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I disagree with your conclusion. The part @31aford linked is the same as @24riverview recommended and I believe they are the same and also correct. Those fittings have the bulb seat in the fitting bore along with straight threads for the bulb retaining nut.

Ray

30. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, the internal threads are straight and the bulb has a taper that creates the seal. The male end has the pipe threads.