Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Featured Classifieds: 1941 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lothiandon1940 and bobwop like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’m not saying someone should buy this thing site unseen over the internet with a wire transfer.

I’m saying someone needs to investigate. Someone closer than me!

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have not accepted the moniker "asshat" yet. But Judgmental Bastard I will accept

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. Guess I’m cynical too. I just bought a part through another forum. 300 dollars but I checked his posting history beforehand. And I don’t do PayPal,we agreed on a Postal money order for payment. Too many scammers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well he must have sold it as the ad is gone:)

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Take it from a guy that has moderated online classifieds for over 25 years - do PayPal. It's really the only way to protect yourself.

When I buy stuff on the HAMB Classifieds, I look at post history... and only use PayPal. If they don't accept PayPal, I move on.

It's back up. People keep reporting it as a scam so it came down via our software. :)

7. If I had space for another vehicle, I'd roll up to Monterey. But, I don't. That's a good price, for a truck in California. It's a nice time of year, on the Central Coast, Ryan. Know what I mean?

8. 3W JOHN, called me and said if the guy will reply to his PM he sent this morning he is going to fly out to California and look at the truck, if it's what he says he is going to buy it. HRP

bowie and bobwop like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I do... and I would get serious about this investigation if I had the budget. But, I don't... I'm in the middle of a "dream workbench" build and with all the 80/20 and drawer slides and hardware and all that shit, I've literally cruised through my fun budget for the next couple of months.

10. Pretty funny. On parts, I take Paypal. If cool ... I'll Paypal purchase "friends/family" for no fees on my purchase. ( Kirk from Michigan/cool HAMB'r )

BUT ... on vehicle purchases, NO PAYPAL. Cash in person, or USPS money order.

WHICH IS WHY ... this ad intrigues me. Old school dude, who doesn't take Paypal ... seems to want an in person buyer.

Unless of course, he's a secret HAMB'r cannibal ... that lures to his shed to rape and eat HAMB'r's. :eek:

bobwop likes this.
  11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Scam, or not, I fell for it when I saw it earlier this morning. It really does sound like an older gentleman that wants his old truck to go to someone that will appreciate it.

I can only hope someone from the HAMB does end up with it and is pleasantly surprised. Smokin' deal.

Chili Phil and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. the-rodster

the-rodster

I guess that I'll just have to keep my old beater 41...
    IMG_6886.jpg

13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Are you doing a build thread on the garage journal? If so, link??

cactus1 likes this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well here is my opportunity to ask Ryan.:) Okay, I get Ryan why you prophecy for PayPal for buyers. When you put up the disclaimer for buyers to use PayPal only did you contemplate that buyers can use PayPal to scam sellers on here? There can be charge backs and us honest hambers can get screwed. Some of us do not use PayPal and there can be no protection for sellers. It is a two way street. I often wondered if that was taken into consideration. USPS money orders can be have federal fraud protections to o. I am not being negative, bitchy or etc. Just honestly wondered. Thanks David

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I would be a buyer if the truck is even close to what it appears to be. Sounds like there are fellas on their way.

The seller has not responded to my PM from 6 hours ago. So I can't offer more than you have read.

If somebody wants to check it out for me, a healthy reward would be offered!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No sir... Video... Still weeks away. It's mostly for woodworking though.

Not at all man... Are you experienced with PayPal chargebacks or investigations at all? They actually do a pretty good job - certainly better than the USPS and our government in our relatively small transactions.

The key is to never use "Friends/Family" transactions. Always pay PayPal to take on the risk.

Here's an example:

A few weeks back, we had a member (I won't use his name, but he can speak up here if he feels like it) who sold an intake for around $1000 to a newish user via PayPal. The buyer waited two weeks, claimed the intake didn't show up, and then filed a grievance with PayPal. PayPal put a hold on the seller's transaction and opened up an investigation.

In this investigation, they asked the seller via an online form to provide evidence of both the sell and the shipping. So, he sent a screen grab of his private messages, a receipt for the shipping, and a tracking number.

The very next day, PayPal read over the evidence, saw the tracking number, and saw that the package had been delivered to the address given. As such, PayPal ruled for the Seller and his money was released.

I've seen this happen a number of times through the years... and in my 25 years, I've NEVER had a PayPal transaction (done appropriately) go south because of something PayPal did. I've had people ship stuff that wasn't described adequately. I've had people have mis-communication over the fees. I've had all sorts of stuff... But I've never had a single incident of someone being screwed by PayPal.

17. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Closet amateur woodworker here. If you think about it send me a link when it's done. I would love to see it.

cactus1 likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Ok thanks. Maybe it was more a disonest scammer on eBay playing people on eBay and eBay themselves letting scammers operate. Unfortunately until I had his name I couldn't do a Google search of said scum. Even his own website shows he is from the bottom of the barrel. Plenty of sites have complaint's about him. After googling him his reputation shows he has and/or tries to screw others over. Unfortunately for others eBay let's him get away with it. Nothing pisses me off more than low life's. He lied a few times and I had proof in pics of his lies. He tried to keep the part and get his money back. PayPal policy i guess is to hold the money for 23 days. I guess I got lucky because I got the part back even though he lied three times why he wanted a refund.. He told me to give him the money NOW. I said you can get a refund when I get the part. Well I got it back with damage courtesy of him.:mad: Obviously he new how to try and game the system. Final analysis was to hell with dishonest people, eBay and PayPal. But your point about never using friends and family is food for thought. I honestly never looked into that or the ramifications of friends and family pay type. I see sellers on here wanting that type of payment. Thanks again for answering.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep... People use friends and family all the time... and with guys I know personally, I do as well because there is no risk obviously... But I would never, ever do it with someone I don't know.

I'm not a big eBayer. I don't do a lot on there... but I use PayPal a lot. Not only with moderating our guys, but with other business stuff as well. I'm sure they've screwed people. I'm sure they will again... I'm just saying that in the 25 years here, we don't have a single instance that I know of.

At the end of the day and no matter what precautions you take, there are still risks... and probably always will be.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Then again if paypal deposited funds into your account when buyer paid , maybe scammers would be less likely to try game the system.

21. I saw this and since I have a project 41, got all giddy about the price, thinking buy it and dump the project. Sadly, too good to be true without checking it out. Sent a PM and will report.

Bandit Billy and bobwop like this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Your right the risks are never going to be eliminated.:(

23. guy1unico

guy1unico

Why do some people wake up in the morning and ask themselves "how can I do something bad today?".
    It would be so much better if we just wake up and say" what can I do to help someone else today?"

impala4speed, 41rodderz and bobwop like this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Damn! I love Internet sleuths! Those pics are dead on.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If one of you guys actually get to buy it we want pictures and the whole story :D

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If this is a scam, I’m gonna find out. If it’s real, I’m gonna do my best to see that someone who needs it, gets it.

I’m deep down the rabbit hole. Deep. :)

warbird1, patmanta, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  27. I holy hell hope it's real ... walker skid marks and all.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

As I dig deeper, it’s certainly not looking any better. I’ve gotta name now though, so it shouldn’t be much longer before we know what’s up.

bobwop, Blue One and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

*the-rodster has it in post#17 &18, **SCAM - main pic Barrett-Jackson (Sold) & other Pack Automotive Museum

WiredSpider likes this.
  30. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

The photos are not on the level, as previously pointed out. They're lifted from other online sources.

To me it reads like a scam concocted by someone who reads forums like the HAMB. He knows what his target audience is passionate about, what things bother them, and what cars/parts/experiences are desirable.

The implied or overt urgency is a common part of many online scams.

I could probably fabricate a similar ad based purely on the info I can glean from this forum. Scary thought. So if one day I try to sell you a 12k '32 Ford coupe sitting in a dry barn with cracked Bucrons, chrome garnish moldings, a '58 Chrysler engine with two fours and oily rags stuffed in the spark plug holes, and funny old vented disc brakes that never worked right anyway....run the other way, haha.

slowmotion, Thor1, bobwop and 5 others like this.