Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Can we take a moment and remember 9/11

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralphies54, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the world went mad.
    As a call firefighter at the time I knew just what was going through the minds of the 343 Firefighters and other first responders on that day.
    Do any of you remember? God bless them all, Ralphie

D type, Lil32, indianbullet and 16 others like this.
  2. LAROKE

LAROKE

[​IMG]

I can't remember much about this art that I found back in 2001 except that it was done by a soldier while he was waiting to deploy.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    D type, Lil32, Deuces and 11 others like this.
  3. v8flat44

v8flat44

AMEN, Ralphie........we seem to forget & take for granted.......nuf said.

Ralphies54, Deuces, hillbilly and 2 others like this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A day of pure horror....I was ill at home and on my way to the pharmacy when I heard the news on the radio. I was totally in shock and everyone around was just as hurt and speechlees as me. It was also my grandma ˋs birthday. She is 97 now.

5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

That was a horrific day! I remember it like it was yesterday. How could it ever be forgotten? But, sad to say it has been by too many....

6. Yep!! Remember exactly. Have not and will not forget. NEITHER HAS THE ENEMY! WE must be vigilant.

Ben

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

It was a surreal event for me. My family and I had flown into Newark from rapid city sd the day before as we circled into the airport I was pointing out the skyscrapers to my 3 year old son. The next morning was when everything happened. We had flown in because my ex mother in law had a brain aneurism that ended up taking her life. So the attack and losing her was a big punch in the gut.

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to not get into a debate on politics or religion here but you have to wonder why the bastards hate us so much. My wife, the NY City girl, had a cousin in the NYPD at the time of the attack, he survived as did his stepfather who was working 8 blocks away from the Trade Center and was evacuated by boat from Battery Park.

9. There were also many heroes that day! The recruiting stations were mobbed in the following months...

10. butch27

butch27

' I will Never forget or forgive...Sorry I live real close to Dearborn..

alanp561, Ralphies54, Saxman and 6 others like this.
  11. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Thanks Ralph - You're right, I will always remember where I was and what I was doing that morning

12. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Our fire house will have a candlelite vigil tonite and fortunately every year the crowd seems bigger, hope it continues.
    I personally have 2 dates I will never forget this and the Kennedy assassination.

Deuces, hillbilly, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  13. I had stayed up late the night before watching the Giants at Broncos on Monday Night Football ( I remember late in the game Denver's Ed McCaffery took a tremendous hit while catching a pass from Brian Griese....his left leg was gruesomely broken but somehow he held onto the ball. Denver beat NY 31-20 ). I got off to a late start for work the next morning, coming out of the shower I saw Katie Couric and Matt Lauer on the Today Show reporting on a plane of some kind hitting one of the Twin Towers. Everyone was clueless as to what was going on...someone thought it was a problem with air traffic control....since the weather was beautifully clear and sunny. As I headed off to work I was crossing over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge over the Potomac into Maryland , trying to get an update on the radio when the local AM crew reported that they now had reports of something going on at the Pentagon. I glanced over my left shoulder to see a huge column of smoke rising up in the west over Arlington. The World had changed .

Dino 64, Ralphies54, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  14. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lil32, Dino 64, Ralphies54 and 5 others like this.
  15. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Played only once. Rarely seen

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dwollam, D type, alanp561 and 12 others like this.
  16. Never sorry for those feelings.

17. cederholm

cederholm

I'm here now, and was then too. We miss those we've lost.

Ralphies54, Deuces and hillbilly like this.
  18. My daughter was a stewerdess for united that day.We finally heard from her later after planes were grounded,safe but so many others payed a high price.

19. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I changed #1 engine on 334. I will never forget!

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. Surreal for sure. And yes, I think the world has gone crazy, especially when it comes to the almost regular mass shootings situation.

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

too bad... many have forgotten....some not worth mentioning here.:(

22. I received a phone call at work from Brenda, she was at home with a construction crew building a new covered deck in the front of the house and she told me to turn on small 6" VT/radio combination sitting on the desk in the office.

I was stunned as I watch what was happening, just after I turned on the TV the second tower was hit, About this time I started to realize the first one was a accident.

I was transfixed on that little portable tv the entire day, business was non existent and I suppose most people were doing the same thing.

I vividly remember sitting on the new deck that evening and looking up and not seeing the twinkling lights of planes flying over, we are in the direct path from Atlanta airport and GSP International Airport, and thinking that the United States has been attacked.

As a side note my daughter was teaching kindergarten and one of the children that was in her care was middle eastern and his mother picked him up early that day, his father owned the local Ihop and the whole family vanished never to be seen again, they abandoned their big home on the lake.

Today's kids only know about the attack from history books, 2001 was a long time ago but not long enough for many of us older hambers.

Never forget, all the innocent lives lost and the family's that were devastated both citizens going about their daily lives and all the civil servants, ENT's,Police,Fireman and regular people that rushed in to help. HRP

51Q-P043cIL.jpg

23. brings tears to my eyes every time I see it...

Lil32, Ralphies54, Texas Webb and 3 others like this.
  24. catdad49

catdad49

Another dastardly attack that Should Never Be Forgotten!

Lil32, Dino 64, Ralphies54 and 2 others like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... that Budweiser commercial just about wrecked me for a minute.
    Dang... sniff...

Remember? Absolutely.
    Could've been yesterday.
    I remember the unspeakable horror as the event unfolded that fateful morning. First, the sadness and hopelessness and helplessness felt by all for the poor souls caught up in this tragedy. And then the utter disbelief as the reality set in... that this was done intentionally.

Hate is something I don't like to spend a lot of energy on even for perpetrators of such heinous acts.
    I do feel greatly disheartened when fear and mistrust compel people to hurt each other.
    God bless us all.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ralphies54, Murphy32, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  26. I was 18 at the time I was going to start school in October.
    I was filling for the regular parts delivery driver at out local CarQuest who had called in sick.
    As I was getting ready to leave home the news of the first plane hitting was just coming on the news.
    By the time I got to work the second plane had hit.
    It was so surreal no one in any of the shops were working, they were all listening to the radio for news, or watching the T.V.s in the waiting rooms.
    The truck I was driving did not have a radio so I had very little idea of what was really going on. I knew it was big.

Living 3 hours north of N.Y.C. there was fear here too. Seeing schools closing early, State police, and Sheriff's deputies patrolling everywhere you looked, and not knowing what was going to happen next.

I remember getting home and hugging my dad and mom for what seemed like hours, I don't think we or any one else slept well that night.

I remember the great steeling pride and Patriotism that followed over the next days, weeks, and year.

How quickly it was forgotten by most.

Robert J. Palmer

27. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg
    I will never forget, God Bless America !

28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm glad to see this still resonates so loudly among people so far away from NYC.

For those of us who lived in the immediate New York Metropolitan area on 9/11/01, it's a day that is impossible to forget. Simply put, there is no six-degrees of separation for those who have ties to the area. For myself, a close family friend that we vacationed with worked at WTC in 1993 during the first attack, and was again unharmed on 9/11. But 4 people from my tiny hometown went to work that morning and never returned, including the father of a grammar school classmate.

We all know where we were when we heard the news. It's hard to think about the day without a flood of emotions coming back; fear, anger, sadness... all very natural reactions. This year, I've made a conscious effort to avoid stories, videos and pictures on my Facebook feed showing the planes hitting the Towers, the Pentagon, Flight 93, the Falling Man, etc. as well as the carnage in the aftermath. I've been back to Ground Zero and the 9/11 Museum. I've seen it and not being bombarded with images of it doesn't make my memory any less vivid. While we obviously remember the first responders rightfully as heroes, I also doubt that the people who died that day would want to be remembered merely as victims. They were fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters. They had hobbies and interests. I just read a story this morning on NJ.com about the daughter of one of the deceased, he worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, who was a wine connoisseur and who loved to cook. I think those folks would like to be remembered more for those types of reasons.

It's important to remember the day, the historical context of it, and to understand the gravity of the attack. But I think it just as important to remember the people who died in their individual capacity. And considering the hatefulness that helped lead to the attack, maybe honor the memory of the fallen by simply doing something good or nice.

30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

We too were shaken to the bone.
    The fear was my strongest emotion at the time.
    We all were settled into our guarded nest called America.
    And that one day made us all realize how vulnerable we actually are.
    I even remember creating an escape routed map and made copies for the whole family. My concern was a dirty bomb or similar and having to escape to the Canadian wilderness to get away from radiation and the masses.
    I made up stop points all the way knowing we would not all leave at the same time.
    These points even had a special way to leave word or information to my kids before going to the next point. I believe the final destination was 500 or more miles north of the US border.
    Now that’s fear.
    I still keep that map in my everyday driver.

Ralphies54, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.