Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Times are Changing in the Classic Car Market...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 10, 2019.

1. clem

clem

I don’t know, just saw this today on trademe, our version of eBay.
    Still needs certification, warrant of fitness and registration.

36FB64B5-9E5E-4190-A479-E5F543AA4CA5.png

Nicholas Coe likes this.

2. Scrap yards will be full of them not for sale if they go the way of Teslas.......only authorized places can work on them and get parts. That's ok if the future is all about electric cars...........I'll be the old guy making lots of noise playing with those old relics that burn fossil fuels (ICK) in the corner muttering to himself :).

Boneyard51 and leadfootloon like this.
  3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's possible to like the old technology and new technology. I'm not a fan of mixing them but they both can be pretty cool.

Ride in a Tesla in Ludicrous mode and it's pretty cool. No muss, no fuss you are just immediately pinned to your seat.

As to the main point, I don't deal in the kind of cars that are going to notice a drop in price if there even is one. Car fads come and go. This one is hot then that one and prices get out of wack on them for awhile. People then look for other things and prices come back to somewhat normal.

I've not seen prices fall at all on the standards. (32 Ford. 55 Chevy, 69 Camaro, etc)

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I don't know how much of a barometer partswapper is. It's a bunch of guys like us all in the same market for the same stuff, so the prices are usually a premium. Last week a guy wanted $500 for a Hollywood panel on there with Sun gauges in it. When it didn't sell it went on ebay and sold for $170 or so.... Minus the ebay fees he probably walked away with $150. I'm sure he wouldn't have taken that offer on instagram.

DeSotoDemon likes this.
  6. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

What I see in A-D Chevy pickups discourages me. Is any 47-54 Chevy pickup really worth $25000 - $35000 - $45000? The market is manipulated by folks with more money than sense. Middle-class guys like me are being priced right out of the hobby. I understand you have to pay to play, but now it’s too much to pay.

Tickety Boo, wvenfield and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Speaking just for me, I'll make offers on stuff but few people want to offer $150 on something listed at $500 even if everyone knows $500 is way out of whack.

8. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

I think the “reality” shows have some control over some of the ridiculous prices that people ask. I don’t think as many younger guys are into cars as when I was that age. I think interest in motorized shit is getting less because interest in technological shit has sky rocketed and the changes happen much faster because of the internet and that same technological shit.
    I try to watch some of the auction shows but when a car goes for a ridiculous price or they announce the car was “restomodded” from an original car......I’m out......Mark

9. Squablow

Squablow

So much truth in Tim's post. You older guys, were you buying finished big dollar cars when you were in your 30's? Were you poring over the prices of recent cars that sold? I doubt it, but you seem really concerned that we aren't.

The hobby will be fine. When shit gets too overpriced or crowded, we find something new and affordable to play with. At some point it'll be undoing all those tacky streetrods that keep crashing in price. Good deals still sell and overpriced bullshit sits forever, just like it's always been.

10. I think that interest will peak in the future when folks realize that the old cars are slowly disappearing. Maybe it will take some quality movie (like "American Graffiti") to spark their interest, then everyone who loves cars will want one.

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree that many of the younger generation, "Millenials"(SP) or whatever, aren't all that interested in our "old cars", and you better have a damn fast hot rod if you want to keep up with many off the showroom cars of today, much as we hate to admit it.
    And I do think it's affecting the prices to an increasing degree.
    Hagerty sends out a daily newsletter to their policy holders and just a day or so ago they had an article about the sales price of a '56 Continental MK II at an auction.
    The pic for the car looked mighty nice, and although nothing was really known about mechanical condition, I have to believe that a classic like that which obviously was well kept in appearance was also OK mechanically.
    This is a car that Ford hand built in a dedicated shop with more than 4 times the man hours of the normal assembly line Lincolns and sold for 4 times the price of the Corvette of that time. Ford lost money on each one they sold, as it was designed to be a showpiece like a concept car, but built for sale not just show.
    This one sold for $10,500. All I can say is that had I been there it would have sold for more than that because I would have gladly exceeded that bid if the rest of the car was as nice as it's appearance.
    So yes, I think prices are dropping.

MMM1693 likes this.
  12. I don't quite understand the, 'can't afford or out of my reach,' mentality. I never bought anything I didn't want. I never settled for my second choice. I realized my second choice wouldn't make me happy so why bother wasting my money on it. Most of my buddies had their dream cars, and a shitload of parts and projects cluttering up their lives and draining their bank accounts. I'd get the "how did you get that?" and i'd just point out the open space in the shop and mention I worked a shitload of overtime. Same with a project. When I bought a project, I bought parts for that project only. When I did my 32 roadster, I knew I wanted a quick change so I didn't look for anything else. I knew it was gonna be sbc powered, with a blower, so that's what I looked for a bought. When the car was done, the shop was swept and ready for the next. This might ruffle some feathers, but the reason most can't come up with the cash for what they want is because they spent it on stuff they settled for.

13. rlsteel

rlsteel

A lot of phisher men out there.

Squablow and Tim like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah there is that, but you still have to justify to yourself that the price is worth your number 1 pick.

My number one pick would be a 34 three window. I could put in the time and effort and make the cash. But even cash in hand I’ve got to be able to feel ok spending 20k on a body or whatever insane price is attached to it.

When pick 2 or 3 is less than 20 for the entire build it’s going to be hard to justify the cost of pick 1.

Actually to be more on point I’m pretty happy that prices are dropping. Because in a few years I should be able to buy one of the all steel 32-34’s I see pop up that are complete, titled, running and driving ugly street rods from 30+ years ago for less than what a body goes for lately. Then I’ll scrub the ugly off it and rebuild it how I want it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  15. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have noticed a Big changeover to 60's/70's/80's/90's Muscle cars, New factory Hot Rods big time where I live, the shows/cruises I attend in northern Wisconsin, not really an indicator for the Car Hobby IMO, mostly retired attendee's and When I do see the Younger generation participants, usually a Tuner type, Old School and Rat Rod style are popular. This year, biggest small town show I went to on Labor day had 280 cars, Hot Rod class had 8 cars, myself in Modified 50's class 6 cars, tons of beautiful restored stock cars, muscle cars, Lots of New cars. The car Hobby is as strong as ever IMO, just changing/evolving , the HAMB style will survive, it's just not big in my area. Will agree with selling a hobby car today has changed, my experience, 6 years ago bought my 51 Mercury, maybe 30/40 on internet, now 230/240 for sale, as always supply and demand control the market prices on everything, it's beginning to look like I'll be driving the Mercury for a while yet, which is OK, I like/enjoy the car, have it where it's a dependable cruiser, just trying to reduce our car inventory at this time in my life, only went to 10 events so far maybe 2/3 more and the season is done here. Everyone have a great day and DO NOT be a Doom and Gloom person, never fixed or solved anything EVER. Disclaimer ! My Opinions are worth the price you paid. LOL

Boneyard51, Squablow and Montana1 like this.
  16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

My take on all this is all of the above with prices have gone thru the roof on some hotrods. With all the reality shows not really giving you true prices and I’ll say it B#ll S#!t high or low.
    I have to bite my tongue when I hear did you see what they bought that car for on that show.oh boy. I don’t believe ebay or part swapper is a barometer of prices but with more data you can use it as a guide using both the high and low prices..
    As far as the younger generation my perspective is the taste has changed . It’s not they dont want vintage car or trucks but cars Pops drove me to school in or grandpas old truck. It’s older vehicles like 60s trucks ,broncos and jeeps . It’s great to see kids jump in the old vehicle with dog , girlfriend and get groceries,flowers and or a apple pie. You dont see them sitting in car show but hardware stores ,soccer games and restaurants and enjoying them in a different way.
    When model a fords and 1932s reach numbers close to the 6 digits you have to scratch your head. Im certain I would not have gotten into hotrod if the price of the car I loved was as much as my house cost.

Squablow likes this.
  17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

From an article in the Wall Street Journal, December 2018

Luxury-car prices were down slightly this year, according to HAGI’s Top Index, which covers rare collectors’ automobiles—a correction, Mr. Hatlapa says, that was expected given the rate at which investors poured money into the vintage-car market following the 2008 financial crisis.

“They decided to allocate more to classic cars as part of their portfolio because they couldn’t find returns elsewhere, but there are more alternatives as interest rates normalize,” he added.

Cars have been the best-performing luxury investment over the past 10 years, gaining 289%, according to a report published by Knight Frank earlier this year. Coins gained around 182%, wine 147% and jewelry 125% over the same period, while antique furniture and Chinese ceramics lost value.

continentaljohn and Squablow like this.
  18. I just went through an experience with a guy trying to trade my all steel 33/5W coupe builder for his 40 Tudor, advertised at $17.5K. Drove the car, got it on the lift, very clean, 400 SBC., 350 Trans, 10 bolt parallel leafs, Heidts IFS,. Turn key.
    Well, he passed on the trade, and after a month decided to list it on Ebay, no reserve.
    Only brought $12.8! HA!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    continentaljohn likes this.
  19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think that we ourselves are phasing out the market for old cars, in particular "hot rods" and "customs". Just take a look at some of the asking prices of the cars and parts listed on this site and I would have to say that most cars that are being listed would not even qualify as a "hot rod" or custom but just an old car. I am talking about station wagons, four doors, big trucks, vans, bread trucks, so come on, these are not hot rods or customs, just old cars. Why are the prices so high, because the other guy is asking that, or someone paid a high price before. In the past, most hot rods were built on a shoe string budget that did not include a $1,500. intake with 6 carbs, or other fancy items to set them apart, just the quest for speed. That is all I am going to say on that!

Old wolf and continentaljohn like this.
  20. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

20 year old kid in my neighborhood bought this and he LOVES it. Paid 1200 for it. He doesn't know shit about cars but he's learning.

I showed him how to pull the steering wheel and lock plate so he could fix a turn signal, showed him how to adjust his transmission linkage.

When he's 50 he'll see one at a Mecum Auction for 50K and say damn I wish I would have kept that truck.
    20190919_124746.jpg

waxhead likes this.