Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jwrig43, Sep 8, 2019.

1. jwrig43

jwrig43

Hello, I stumbled across your site while researching SBC questions. I am not sure if this would be qualified to post on this type of forum, but it is a SBC 350 that I am dealing with. This engine I am trying to get running is in an older boat. We have installed 2 reman long block 350s, one is standard rotation and the other is reverse. We had both engines running out of the boat. We dropped them in the boat and now one will not start. It tries, stumbles and nothing. I figured a 350 is a 350 no matter what it is installed into so hence why I am here and hoping someone can help me. I am out of the US so there is no one here that can help, just the internet :). We have new reman Rochester 4 barrel carbs installed, new distributor, plug wires, plugs, coil, and fresh fuel. I am just at a lose with this thing. It seems so simple, but what am I overlooking. I have verifed my timing by bring #1 up to TDC and my timing mark on my damper matches the front cover mark at 0. Also had a nice puff of air on 1 and set my distributor/cap dead on 1. I got it fire and start just for a second or two twice with new plugs, but this makes no sense. If I am fouling plugs why? This is a reman long block. I know they recommended special oil, but we can not get the oil the rebuilder suggested here. I called and told the only oils we can get, a synthetic 10w/30 blend oil. The builder said he did not think it was the best, but better than nothing. We ran this engine for about 25 minutes to set cam bearings and it seemed fine. Good oil pressure, temp was good, sounded good. (Actually have video of it with gauge readings). I did set the timing just before shutting her off to 10 BTDC. I have tired to turn distributor CW just a little to help it start easier, but makes no difference, will not start and stay running. The other engine I could get to run in boat. So I switched the carb from this one to the non runner, nothing. I can give a pump of fuel in carb, so I know its getting fuel, I can see it. I am going to try to make some videos of my timing procedure, spark quality etc. Maybe I can share a link here, not so sure it will work. Really could use some help with this SBC. Thanks for any and all input.

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I hope someone helps.

3. Fuel under compression and spark all at the correct time and it will run. Are you certain you have the correct starter to turn the reversed engine backwards?

upspirate likes this.
  4. The problem may be in your wiring for the ignition. You may only be getting spark when the starter solenoid is engaged. Some circuits will bypass the resistor for starting and then through the resistor for running.

5. Check for spark at the plugs.Have someone crank it while you hold the wire 1/8 inch from a plug.If you dont hear it snapping,or see a arch you have electrical trouble.If it has spark shoot some starting fluid down the carb.It should fire right up at least for a second.If it wont then the timing is way off.If it does start on starting fluid,but dies its not picking up fuel.Check the lines for cracks where air can get sucked in.That will kill the fuel pumps vaccunm so it cant pull fuel.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

What's different than when the engine was on the stand , fuel , fuel source , electrical connections ?? , If you flattened a cam you should be able to see it, pull a valve cover. You spent all that money and couldn't import some ZDDP additive ??? C'mon really ??

7. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

is it the reverse-rotation engine that won't start?

upspirate likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Question for boat engine builders on a reverse engine do you use standard pistons installed backwards.

Montana1 likes this.
  9. I’m with oldtom ,,,, is it reverse rotation engine giving the trouble?

Tommy

upspirate likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Country Joe likes this.
  11. sunbeam

sunbeam

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Is this a "traditional" boat build?

Deuce Bigalow and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. upspirate

upspirate

54vicky, Old wolf and Johnny Gee like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sorry guy's. My eye's read points. :oops:

15. upspirate and sunbeam like this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Try the link I provided on my mistaken reply.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

U.S. or Down Under.

18. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Another care where I would be checking for a good ground.

19. No the helix on the cam gear must be different and also the dist and the oil pump modified. Its impossible for the cam to rotate in a different direction than the crank. unless you used a gear drive without a idler gear. on a small block chevy the gears would need to be so large of diameter they would not fit under the timing cover. I messed with reverse rotation detroit diesels.( Know it all's )claimed you turned the crankshaft around to reverse them. I never even tried to educate them. What you did was swap the dead cam with the live cam and rotate the cyl head 1/2 turn. For a reverse engine the field coils on the starter are wound in a different direction so it spins backward. and a reverse spiral is also necessary on the starter drive.

53 ford likes this.
  20. Montana1 likes this.
  21. upspirate

upspirate

The ones I heard of for reverse rotation have different grind cams. Thanks, I learned something new!

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Still needs proper grind regardless which way cam turns.

23. Correct. SBC requires a reverse ground cam and peripherals...

Old wolf likes this.
  24. 6sally6

6sally6

Who cares (not me) the OP never came back!
    6sally6

25. Being that it was his first post, he probably went to fix his motor with all this information that he didn't ask for... :rolleyes::D

Old wolf likes this.
  26. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Had a V-Drive I bought on the cheap with a 460 Ford, owner could not get it to start. Turned out he had bought a brand new starter for the 460 BUT forgot to mention to the parts guy that the starter was installed from the rear, nother words it was turning engine over backwards. Took a minute to figure out but it was fun for a few summers!

Stkman likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THIS^^^^^
    As usual the normal bull shit artists have chimed in with their nonsense that has nothing to do with the question.
    You didn't say which engine doesn't want to run but most are assuming that it is the reverse rotation one.

What is different on the engine from when you test ran it?

If it is getting fuel to the carb that should mean that you don't have a restriction in the line.
    That leads to something not being correct in the ignition system for that engine. Every twin gas engine boat I have seen has two totally separate ignition systems from switch on the control panel out. I'd make sure I had power to the coil with switch on and power to the coil when it is cranking.
    You could have wiped out the cam during the start up but normally that only takes out a lobe or two and it still runs but doesn't run good.

upspirate and Desoto291Hemi like this.