Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Freeze plug - Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salrfarmer, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Salrfarmer

Salrfarmer
    from Uah

Anyone know where I can get freeze plugs for a 1952 Ford 215 Ci 6 Cyl ? Dorman has them listed for the V8 but they are different thickness.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

3. I’m not going to be the guy to point out that they are core plugs not freeze plugs....oops I guess I am.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  4. Bring one in to a good parts store,and match it up.Dorman has a cabinet with drawers full of them.Bet they make 2 dozen sizes.

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

MOM! He said freeze plugs!!

Boneyard51, Desoto291Hemi and RMONTY like this.
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Doesn't matter if it's a 6 or 8 or 4 or anything else. All you care about is the diameter. Pop one out intact and measure it. That's all you need to know.

As for core vs freeze, who cares?

SPark

7. Obviously a colloquialism, it boils down to the area of the country or Provence you reside, what is excepted as the norm in your area doesn't necessarily make it the only excepted description of a item or term.

Freeze plugs are usually aluminum or brass plugs pressed into holes in the water jacked of your engine block. In some cases, as the water freezes and expands in your block, the freeze plugs will push out relieving the pressure of the freezing water and partially draining your cooling system.

I'm a old greybeard and here in the South they have always been called freeze plugs. HRP

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I'm a old greybeard and here in the South they have always been called freeze plugs. HRP

I’m a considerable distance from the HRP in the south and I have always known them as freeze plugs as well.

9. jazz1

jazz1

You should be able to source plug but since plug is out just install a block heater, great option to have.
    Up here in the frozen tundra they are “frost plugs”.

10. You failed to fill out your profile so we have no idea of what part of the world you live but if you are in the states as abother member mentioned remove one and take it to a NAPA or any larger auto parts store and they usually have a huge Dorman cabinet with every size imaginable. HRP

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Yup, jazz1 I live a little west of you but we call them frost plugs too. It don't matter what you call them, finding the right size and installing it is what's important. :)

Good luck finding what you need Salrfarmer.

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I don't think it matters where anyone lives whether they are called freeze plugs or not. I was just making a sly reference to the harmonic balancer/damper thing everyone got all spooled up about in another thread. I thought everyone would get that.

They don't provide any freeze protection whatsoever, ice expansion doesn't work that way, that is not their purpose, and never has been, that was the point of the joke.

Boneyard51 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. As an old Montana boy, FREEZE PLUGS.
    That's what you ask for at the parts house.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

LOL!!!

EVERYBODY calls them freeze plugs, nobody argues that. And the parts guy will know what you're talkin' about too.

But they don't work that way, that is not their purpose, The End. We was just makin' a funny, sorry that everybody is wound up so tight. Sheesh.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. Truck64,
    Yeah ,,,I picked right up on your comment.
    LMAO !
    I try to see the humor in all things,,,if allowed to,,,Lol.

Tommy

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Wana have some real fun, go to O'Rileys and ask for casting plugs for your engine, or any other type of PLUG. they will ask, is that a for a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder and start looking up spark plugs.

Boneyard51 and alanp561 like this.
  17. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Freeze plugs for me too.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. I'm easily confused but when you say "freeze plugs", I have a pretty good idea of what part you're talking about.

"Can we all get along?" .....Rodney King

Boneyard51 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  19. To me, in my job proper terminology is very important, so core plugs it is, they have never served any purpose in terms of freezing. Sometimes you get lucky. I’m picky about these things

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Yeah,,,I know what you mean.
    Sometimes people just can’t get the lingo down.

Like every time I go to the Waffle House I want my eggs cooked a certain way.
    And I need my bacon just right also.
    They usually get it right though!

Tommy

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Salrfarmer

Salrfarmer
    from Uah

Thanks for your input. My NAPA store didn't have one in the correct size. Most web sites have flat head V8 plugs but not 6cyl. The reason I need some is that in 1959 they didn't have anti-freeze in the engine and it popped out the plug. Then mice built a nest in the engine. I've been looking at your 54 Ranch Wagon - really nice. Your pictures will help me on my 52. I didn't think people were so sensitive about terminology - freeze plug, expansion plug, core plug.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So its an adjustable wrench not a Crescent wrench and slip lock pliers not Channel Locks? And I won't even ask about Kleenex.

H380 and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. As a matter of fact you are correct, the proper term is core plug, call them what you want.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. In Australia it's called a shifting spanner.

chopped and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. Jokester

Jokester

You can also add the term "soft plug". I've heard them called that many times...but I'm in Kansas so anything goes.
    .bjb

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yep. As far as protection from freezing, how many blocks have you guys seen that have been cracked by freezing with the welch plugs still in place (read on the forum that welch plug was the proper term)? Doesn't really matter what people refer to them as but when I can use a more accurate term I will. Language is a tool so why not use the most appropriate tool in the toolbox?

Boneyard51 and 57 Fargo like this.
  27. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Its hard to believe a good parts store couldnt match up the correct size, regardless of what the book says it fits, but things happen.
    They used to make rubber ones that had a stud in the middle, and when you tightened the stud it swelled to fill the hole. Maybe you could get one of those thats close to the right size and make it work. Good Luck

Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  28. Some get sandy vaginas here from calling parts the wrong thing.... I have always known them as freeze out plugs. Any parts store always knew what I meant. Dorman probably has the best selection, any parts house will have a drawer of 2 of them behind the counter. I've used the expandable ones too in tight spots.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  29. Lots of nice rat rods here....

Now I bet terminology matters

30. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I have never heard of a "freeze plug" saving a block from cracking. Not saying it couldnt happen, but for me i got my doubts. Oh boy, here we go. I have thick skin, so bring it on.:p

57 Fargo likes this.