Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Rest in Peace, Jessi...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You would never get enough altitude for the chute to open and be able to land. In a jet fighter , you only have to clear the plane and have enough altitude for the chute to open. How much propulsion would it take to project someone a few hundred feet in the air, from the ground, for this to work.
    https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/04/jessi-combs-dead-died-jet-car-video-crash-photos-land-speed-record/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of you are real jerks.

Others, borderline sociopaths.

Chris, Speedys Garage and 57 Fargo like this.
  3. A few thoughts on using an ejection seat.
    I had almost 5000 hours in single and dual engine fighter and fighter type jets where I wore a chute. I came close to having to use it a few times, but I was always lucky enough that my primary solution was succeful and I didn't have to go over the side.
    I did see a friend eject at approximately 100 ft altitude, and he made it, but the chute only swung once before he hit the ground.

Our rocket seats were certified to 0 ft and 60kts, but that was with everything being ideal. If the fuselage was tilted, any angle at all reduced the chances of survival. Just as an example, a tilt of 30 degrees, would decrease the height the rocket would be able to attain by 50%.
    It also has to be considered that the driver would be getting buffited around so much in the out of control vehicle, that they might not be able to access the ejection handles and triggers. (The ejection, is a two step process. The pilot has to raise the handles to arm the seat, and then squeeze the triggers to activate the rocket).
    There would also be a maintenance issue. The rocket in the seat would require a technician that was conversant with all aspects of a highly complicated mechanism. The seat would also add a significant amount of weight and cost to the operation of the car.
    It would also be an armed explosive device, further complicating a rescue, in the event of a crash and the seat was not able to be used.
    Bob

chryslerfan55 and Chappy444 like this.
  4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I have seen guys punch out off a carrier deck, screw up their backs but live to tell about it.

5. I hate seeing pictures of a crash as I open this thread. Here's a better one. RIP.

Nick tapatalk_1567773314573.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 5window

5window

Which side are you on?

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

That pretty much makes us representative of the general population, I'm sad to say.

8. Maybe it's time to end all of the speculation, close this thread down, and let her truly rest in eternal peace.

9. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

I agree. Peace out.

lothiandon1940 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  10. I totally agree with you Don,

We don't need to see any images of the accident it is time to move on. HRP

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are more than two sides.

57 Fargo likes this.
  12. 5window

5window

I don't need to see crash pictures, and I certainly don't need TMZ. We can close this thread, but there are probably a majority of HAMBers who are speed fans and mechanics and will want to know what went wrong. If we don't know what went awry, how can it be avoided in the future? Perhaps we can just table our speculation until an official report is released. The sadness of it all won't go away for a while.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas... I think it's human nature to wonder what went wrong. I think it's important for fellow racers in the same line of work to know what went wrong. And to some degree, I can understand someone that has the sort of morbid curiosity to see how it all played out.

That all being said, it's too early really for any of that. And there's no real rational reason for anyone to argue about it... on the internet...

It's far more appropriate to just show a little respect for Jessi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.