Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods final drive ratio for burnouts :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gordon Reed, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Let's see some pics of the car.

Deuces likes this.
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, and dry aged and skinny tires will help too! Just don´t try to drive them in the rain. Try to put in mor total advance, like 38° total. I have a stock 327 on my girls 52 Suburban /TH 400 with 2.73 gears and that thing spins the right rear tire like there is no tomorrow.
    A little screech when taking off can be fun...
    This was my first burnout on MT Slicks. They stuck well enough to bend my leaf spring up at the front eye to make the pinion u joint hit the floor when I shifted into 2nd... oh well... you will break stuff.
    Bild 009.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Had a 66 same combo with a posi 100% stock, lite brake press would blaze'm.... Im 'thinking OP has to much cam, an a single plane intake....

SEAAIRE354 likes this.
  4. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Love a good smoke show low gears obviously help a little air pressure rig up a windshield washer pump to squirt liquid on the tires oh yah and post a video!

5. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

And older folks wonder why it's hard to get the younger generation interested in hot rods....

Just read the remarks in this thread, and it becomes obvious.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The fact that there are various opinions is a good thing , doesn't mean either side is right , just different, " wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same? "

7. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I dont have an issue with opinions..in fact, I agree with you in that aspect. I was referring to the remarks such as "you're 18, you'll grow up," "burnouts are a sign of mental immaturity," or perhaps "an 18 year old with a hot rod is the nearest thing to an idiot."

8. All I can do is laugh at responses to a hot rod type question on this “hot rod” forum. I get how there are some pretty reckless folks out there that have let their cars get away from them and caused problems or how burnouts have no real purpose other than for getting tires sticky before drag racing. However, seems many of us have forgotten what got us into this hobby in the first place and maybe how little we knew when we were young. I am pretty sure I did my first burnout at about age 14 in my car just down the street from my folks house. That may have been the beginnings of my addiction. I admit that I am not as enamored by burnouts as I was when I was young...but I do still occasionally like to mash the loud pedal and see a little smoke in the mirrors. Maybe I will grow up someday... :rolleyes: I think I was 17 when a buddy took this pic right before I was heading to buy new tires for my OT car (same one mentioned above when I was 14). Oh, and it had 4:88 rear gears and about an 8000 rpm sbc and a turbo350 transmission with a 3000 stall...just what every 17 year old needs...but I also paid for and built it all myself at the time.

Oh, and I applaud the OP for wanting to have fun with a 65 Chevelle. Nothing wrong with that for sure. :cool:

FC04CD35-E8EC-4E00-A55D-04C3CF19B49D.jpeg

WC145, loudbang, INVISIBLEKID and 2 others like this.
  9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

The poor tires on my unibody cry and smoke at any light I desire, and now and then from a roll.

That car should do it. Maybe you dont know how?

Pour a half quart of oil on the ground, park on it, pour the other half on your tire and go for it. If that wont work call me in the morning

10. No burnouts means not having the ability to say "BYE FALICIA!" in capital letters when you need to. :rolleyes:

No one ever had to go to the doctor from smokin' the tires. :cool:

INVISIBLEKID and Blues4U like this.
  11. Mike

Mike

Burnouts are for warming up tires before a race, Other than that, spinning tires just equal wasted energy.

Yes, burnouts are fun, but changing the configuration of a car solely to be able to do burnouts seems kinda dopey to me.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

An 18 year old IS an idiot in possession of a whole lotta different things ,,at least looking back , I sure was !

13. Uhhh,,, all forms, branches, and types of racing is a complete waste of energy and resources. Even foot racing be it Olympic or back yard. It’s all 100% unnecessary.
    I couldn’t even begin to count the billions of dollars wrapped up in facilities, training, traveling, vehicles, and advertising.

loudbang, Dino 64 and Baumi like this.
  14. Taken from about 1000 feet For a Smoky burnout contest. a nice easy rpm in second gear for over 4 mins. 78E74C99-6B5F-4B2C-B612-E24216DFDD7D.jpeg E5A7B6B9-3613-40FD-BE5A-6B1854DBEC73.jpeg
    6D6CBB5C-3869-4A8A-B953-A3663C3E1073.jpeg
    B1899937-AC11-47C1-ACA8-8C396E915ECF.jpeg
    Hard to breathe

loudbang likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I'm all for doing a burnout, at the proper time and place

[​IMG]

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You do realize that was the 18 year old that posted that, right?

17. Mike

Mike

I think you misunderstand my comment. From a racer's standpoint, spinning tires mean the vehicle is not moving as fast as it potentially could, this equals wasted energy.

I'm not referring to the tree huggin', worm kissin' mantra of not wasting resources.

18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you need to find a different woman? Or, maybe, this could be the start of a new thread?

19. Deuces

Deuces

No! Trans fluid!!!!!... ;)

61Cruiser likes this.
  20. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

So funny to me talking about burning rubber. Before drag racing we used to street race, laugh at people "spinning in all 4 gears", i.e., losing traction.
    One of the spinningest cars I remember was a friend's Biscayne with a 235 six. He put 4:11 posi in it, had (50 years ago...trying to remember) these hard rubber tires, 3 on the tree. It spun every gear. We would get out, walk along as he laid rubber down the road as far as you wanted.
    It's all physics. We've seen cars with much less hp blow away something way more power, because it hooked and set up properly.
    I guess it's whatever floats your boat the saying goes.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Hnstray likes this.
  21. No need for a different woman here.

We Always could use another thread, we’ve got to balance out the mirror muff, what color should I paint this, lock your doors, pinion angle and brake threads.

22. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget about us dorks that hang our arms out the window!

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. The kid has a 327 powerglide with 2.73 gear in a 65 Chevy and wants to be able to bust the tires loose. That combo of his should easily run below 20.00 seconds but not much and should not be included in any conversation where a race car might actually need warm tires.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd be willing to bet with one or two exceptions all the guys in the burnout crash video were not real car guys. mostly assorted late models. they did not know what to do when the tires started spinning because they have not been practicing enough.

WC145, jimgoetz, Ned Ludd and 6 others like this.
  25. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

WC145, 49ratfink, 61Cruiser and 6 others like this.
  26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The same can be said for kids , or mid-life- crisis -checkbook -wanna be's........
    It's a good deal like in the 80's when everybody became an instant boater and our waterways became very unsafe ....
    Ok

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  27. Real proof of power put the rear bumper on the ground!

31Vicky with a hemi and Montana1 like this.
  28. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. RmK57

RmK57

Get 2 or 3 big friends to lift up on the rear bumper. Get them smoking nicely then lower the the car. You should be able to get at least 50 feet of rubber that way.

61Cruiser and Deuces like this.
  30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not big on burnouts, because I am the one buying the tires, but 5.13 gears are how I get my crappy Falcon out of the hole, while appearing to tear the fabric of space and time, with an inline-6.

I might get caught by the next stop light, bur I do see a lot of drooping jaws.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.