Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Want to sell it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Very nice car. There are allways people wanting something for nothing.

2. I once cut a car in half, right in front of a guy, to demonstrate what I thought about his lowball offer and shitty attitude. Asked him which half he wanted. His look was priceless. I was redoing the car anyway, but he didn't know that.

3. Well— I thought was sentimental until an offer was made on a (H.A.M.B. era, wrong country of manufacture) car I had. Offer was 10 times what I had in it and more than 1/2 what my house costs.. and my house isn’t a shack.

“I may be dumb but I ain’t stupid”

Sold!
    I definitely understand, but I’m fairly young-ish and have other cars so away it went. Neat car and a real joy to drive but I like so many different cars/trucks that I’m fine to move to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I sold a 65 chevy Biscayne 4 door yesterday. The guy who bought it brought two buddys with him. They where only interested in stuff that isn't actually for sale. The 55 chevy wagon & mt 55 &56 chevy 2 dr project cars. my sons 70 chevelle, my wife 66 chevy truck that her daddy bought new. and the 60 thru 72 chevy and GMC short bed project trucks we have. Its the same as someone wanting to play with my marbles and wanting the very best ones.I have sold a half dozen vehicles and some not needed hay equiptment this year. and a lot of OT parts that I never planned to use. Still have stuff advertised on facebook marketplace, Its a half hearted attempt to reduce the Hoard. Ive been shifting vehicles around. trying to organize stuff . get everything that's not for sale behind the 6 ft fence to the west of the house. and not let anyone even look at any of it.

5. Old Wolf, I am having the same problem. I have sold two cars, a plasma cutter, and a couple of engines, and they are all looking at my other stuff. I have a lot more stuff to sell off, and the way some of the strangers act in the yard makes me a little concerned.
    Before, I had a 130 pound slobbering dog that, if provoked, looked like he would eat your leg off, but good pets don't last forever.
    Bob

Old wolf and waxhead like this.
  6. It seems like those who want it do not have the money and those with the money would not have it. The stuff those empty pocket types desire would sell easy for more money than they would imagine. Too many just looking bargain hunters. and you never know who is a thief. Sadly ive determined to take a big amount to the scrapper. however im gonna beat the bejabbers out of it first. If it goes to scrap it will be nothing but scrap. It takes a thick skin and a bit of tounge biting to deal with the public and not lose your temper. Its just a few that are obnoxious and stupid. They want you to price everything and they have empty pockets. I often tell them come back pulling a trailer show me a wad of $100 bills and I will let you look and price stuff. Any price I give is right now at this moment and subject to change. Also if you bargain price something real cheep. I priced the old 4 door body at $250. They seem to think $250 will buy everything else in the yard?

carbking and j-jock like this.
  7. carbking

carbking

Those that doubt the absolute wisdom of this quote should do telephone sales for about a week!

Most folks are knowledgeable, or at least polite. But there is the occasional caller that is either mentally challenged, or a representative of some forum doing customer service research.

Jon.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  8. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I was going to a little local show the other week and cutting through a subdivision. all of a sudden, this POS Saturn is behind me and keeps acting like it wants to pass me at each stop sign. Anyway this goes on for a few blocks when I had enough and run a stop sign to get away from him. Which in turn the Saturn runs it also. At this point I wasn't sure if it was road rage or what. So I jam on the brakes, he pulls up on the side and I yell "what the *blank* is your problem?"
    He claims he fixes up cars to sell and wanted to buy mine. Which ticked me off since my car has paint and upholstery. I tell him "it isn't for sale" and get the usual "everything is for sale, put a price on it"
    I respond with "ok, $100K" to which he responds "it ain't worth that" (oh course it isn't)
    I said "oh well, then get away from me then"
    Everyone thinks life is like Kounts Kustoms….

9. It is a few years ago, but I used to used $50,000 to make the same point. The last time I used it, the guy said, "I'll take it".
    Oh, s@#t! Fortunately for me, he was blowing smoke and never came back with the money. From then on, I always picked a number out of my butt that was certain to drive them away.
    Bob

Cincinnati Slim likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

My "not for sale price" is "the gross national product of the USA for the last 5 years".

Even the most arrogant get that point.

Jon.

j-jock likes this.
  11. I think that everyone has a price. Had a gold chainer stop outside my garage and checked out my truck. New Lexus suv, lots of bling, trophy wife, and asked how much. When he was told he didn't have enough money, he got a little crusty. He did leave a business card for when I came to my senses, and it got tossed as soon as he was out of sight.

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

And right there is what is wrong with this society !!!

raven likes this.
  13. Just got home from a little local Tuesday nite cruise at the local burger joint. A talkative old gent there asked me all about my coupe [avatar] and asked how much? I told him I didn't want to sell it.
    "Well, how much would it take to get it away from you?" After telling him a few more times I didn't want to sell I said
    "I suppose if a guy offered 32 grand I'd let it go." The guy just nodded and wandered off....
    Perfect!

54delray likes this.
  14. Some jackasses just don't know how much time goes into building a rod.
    Bob

15. I took my C10 to a swap meet and father and son ask if it's for sale. I say sure, everything has a price. They say "What's the price?" "Stupid money,"is my response. They press and I say $27.5k. Do you have the title? Not on me, I wasn't planning on selling it today. The Dad doesn't appear to speak English, so the two discuss it in Spanish. Their response is 25k. I ask to think about. My son loses his mind. "What are you gonna do after you sell it!? Probably buy another car." He said, " You looked for 18 months to find it, just keep it." Sorta shocked me. Sent the man and his son packing. Probably never happen again.

osage orange and dirty old man like this.
  16. exterminator

exterminator

Or maybe they do and want to save time.

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There have been times when I could have REALLY used the money from selling my car , but there's a certain amount of satisfaction from looking some rich , I can buy whatever I want, dickhead in the eye and saying NO , it's not for sale , i.e. you don't have enough money !

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  18. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Is it the one in your avatar? Nice truck.
    I dont mind the ones that ask if its for sale, too much, most of the time. The ones that bother me are the ones that want to know how much I paid for it. I usually say " Too much" or something like that. Some of them wont let it go at that and keep pressing for a number, and those are the ones that make me want to say, "Nosy motherfucker, aint you?", but I usually try not to say it out loud.
    I did use the "You dont have enough money" on this pretty little young beertender one time and she took it wrong and got all huffy, " You're judging me? You dont know what I've got". Now I mostly stick to "Its not for sale", especially dealing with a female.

osage orange and mr57 like this.
  19. Heck, I'd probably give ya 32 grand if yer serious. Rocky.

Pitbullgoingpostal likes this.
  20. 32 Delivery leaving.jpg 32 Delivery leaving.jpg Fact== Had a guy call me last Thursday to wish me a Happy Birthday. He'd bought my Old Crow 32 roadster back in January, during the conversation he says BTW would you consider sellin the 32 sedan delivery ? (my avatar) I said for enuf money I would, he shoots me a number and POOF it left here Sunday goin to Lake Havasu AZ.

osage orange and exterminator like this.
  21. exterminator

exterminator

Nice sedan delivery

da34guy likes this.
  22. X-cpe

X-cpe

Should have looked her up and down and said, "Yes I do."

osage orange and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Turn 'em upside down , they all look the same ......

24. gigem

gigem

When asked, I always say that everything I have is for sale for the right price except my wife and two of my three kids, and I ain't saying which two.

My kids don't think this line is nearly as funny as I do!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

raven, osage orange, j-jock and 2 others like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll be prying this steering wheel and shift knob from my cold dead hands!!!
    Well... maybe a little sooner than that.
    LOL

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange likes this.
  26. I always have to try and watch the look on my face when someone asks if our '37 is for sale, especially after we spent 3 or so years building it. It's definitely a weird feeling when someone wants something of yours, but it's also pretty flattering, so we don't really mind it that much :).

osage orange likes this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When I was in the market for my first real car purchase, I was the one who asked, an orange/red 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery owner/hot rodder, if he would want to sell. I hated asking him, as we knew each other from junior high school and high school. But, it was a hot rod that would definitely fit into our lifestyle at the time. (surfing and drag racing.)

My brother and I got a lot of flak for taking the 1958 black Impala to the beach with two boards sticking out of the trunk. (rear seat back taken out, learned from drive-in movie shenanigans) The comments at the time was something like: “Here come a couple of hot rod guys that think they can surf, inlanders, hodaddies, fake surfers…etc.” But, our surfing skills immediately put all comments aside and the skills were impressive to the so-called, “locals.”
    upload_2019-9-19_4-36-43.png
    So, I actually talked my old Junior H.S. friend into selling me the sedan delivery, but I could not afford his asking price. He had put in a 348 motor and it was one fast sedan delivery. I guess he needed the 348 for another project, so he agreed to put in a Flathead in the place of the big motor. He probably got tired of me asking him if he would sell me the sedan delivery at a lower cost that I could afford.
    upload_2019-9-19_4-37-14.png
    Jnaki

Upon purchasing the Flathead powered 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, I immediately started getting noticed, locally and was constantly asked…do you want to sell it? Happy with my first official hot rod purchase, I drove it for thousands of trouble free miles and had plenty of great adventures. But, almost everywhere we went from Santa Barbara to San Diego, beaches to surf movies, I was constantly asked…“Do you want to sell it?”
    upload_2019-9-19_4-37-44.png
    So, for one week of spring break, I put a for sale sign on the doors and priced it so high that people would quit asking me how much and what was in it. It worked. Now after 5 years of adventures all over, it was time to move on to college and there was the need for selling the sedan delivery.

Yes, it would have been a great vehicle to have in college, but it needed to be sold. New door signs went up and immediately the “make offer” signs did not work out bringing in too many ridiculously low bids. So, I priced it high and got several lookers who actually asked, if I wanted to sell it, now.

Finally, an Orange County Surf Shop owner had his mom buy it for him at my high asking price. It was sell the old car in order to get a new car scenario. It worked out for me as a new red 1965 El Camino rolled into my driveway the next week before going away to college.

upload_2019-9-19_4-38-17.png

weps and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. flat 39

flat 39

When someone ask me if I want to sell my '39 coupe, I respond with " what is it worth to you. If it is worth more to you than to me than you should have the car." they do not know how to respond and walk away.

raven and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  29. You better bump that number up, someone just might step up to the plate. HRP

Blue One likes this.
  30. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bravo! Well played sir, perfect timing at the right time, I love scenarios like that! Never argue with or piss off a man with a sawzall or cutting torch in his hand next to something that you want!