Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods final drive ratio for burnouts :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gordon Reed, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Dino 64 and Deuces like this.
  2. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Yeah... That's also called fun. Try it sometime.

3. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

let me ask you guys this. would it make a difference to change out my first gear in my powerglide? or would it be smarter to just buy a new turbo 350?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1947knuck likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Picking a transmission based on how well you can do burnouts...yeah, that's wise :)

There might be more to the decision, than that

5. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

i had a whole thing typed up talking about how i knew someone would say that lol i should’ve kept it in my post

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1947knuck and squirrel like this.
  6. Dude, use the 3.55 : 1 posi you already own. Source the pedals and linkage, get a Super T10 four speed with a low 1st gear. Your car will become instantly cooler and more fun to drive. Yes, it'll light 'em up.

7. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Summit, $[​IMG]
    2000 Richmond Super T10
    Ausley's Chevelle, $275 complete linkage

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  8. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

I can't believe that some people on here have not tried a burnout, other then at the track! No, I don't mean chained to a steel plate either! I don't know of one single person other then my middle of 3 sisters that hasn't. Back in the 60/70's when I was in school, there would be about 50 of us at the beach each nigh. On the weekend, usually Friday night someone would start a burn out, to see who could go the farthest. Some would dump a can of oil on the ground to do theirs. Most of us, would never use the oil. We called them chicken shit burn outs. Of all my years I only know of one person that hurt his car from doing it, and he really over revved it, and popped his engine. But not one person didn't say, "What idiot's" they all just had fun doing it, or watching it!

My mom's car was a '65 chevelle Malibu, 283, 2bl, powerglide. It would smoke the tires with just a light brake to hold it in place. It would squeal the tire with just flooring the go pedal.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Next time try that burn out with a little bit atf in front of the rear tires..... Lots of smoke!!!!!!! ;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

I had an O/T Malibu with a warmed up 500 Caddy and a turbo 400 with a 2.41gear and 235/ 70-15's . It would do 1 to 100 burnouts. You need more torque or a lower 1st gear.
    Powerglides can be outfitted with a 1.82 low gear.

Deuces likes this.
  11. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Some of the best parts of life are completely pointless. I don't think a man is alive inside if the though of a smoky burnout on a backroad doesn't make them just a bit giddy.

WC145, Ned Ludd, Dino 64 and 10 others like this.
  12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

At 18 you must know someone with a clapped out car with a v8/700r4 you can pick up cheap.
    Swap in the 4 speed trans, lower first gear and better fuel mileage, especially once you change the rear end gears. I have found that people selling 305's often have the trans also, and have picked up
    2 of them for $50.00 or less.

Deuces likes this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

Especially those who do ls swaps.... :rolleyes:

RICH B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Every time I see one of those NASCAR race winners do a full front stretch burnout I think, Wow, it must be nice to have a multi-million dollar budget for tires, engines, transmissions, rear gears, etc. etc. Wouldn't it be interesting to see one of them just drive to the winners circle in a calm manner like they had been there before. I remember Cowboys coach Tom Landry once telling his team, if you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before.

15. clem

clem

Surpassed only by ‘drifting’.....

Dino 64, samurai mike, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

17. clem

clem

Yep, I’m another that has never tried one. Didn’t see any point in them.
    Although I did smoke the tyres on an (automatic) Kubota tractor once, but that is a bit OT for here.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  18. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Fun. The point is fun. This seems to be a foreign concept to many.

WC145, wraymen, 61Cruiser and 7 others like this.
  19. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

You mean the quiet, reserved generation that literally invented hot rods, street racing, bootlegging, etc?

wraymen, Dino 64, Montana1 and 2 others like this.
  20. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Im with the OP, I love doing burnouts. I built my car to have fun and I live in the country, so there are a few burnout spots on the road. Sometimes, they are for practice launches, but I still have to heat up the tires. Puts a smile on my face every time.
    Tony

WC145 likes this.
  21. Hightone111

Hightone111

We get it, you don’t do burnouts. Sounds like the wrong thread to keep dropping your “words of wisdom”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

WC145, wraymen and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

You'd never catch me doing a burnout, especially on a public road. Never.

[​IMG]

23. Hightone111

Hightone111

Well it wouldn’t be a discussion if people didn’t reply‍.

I just have a hard time believing a hot rodder is anti burnout. I suppose your shoe might not fit.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  24. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Within every hobby, there are a cadre of curmudgeons who eschew doing things they do not approve of. In the hunting and firearms world, they are referred to as "Fudds"

The same folks who, with a "hot rod" of their own in the garage, will call the cops on the neighbors for doing burnouts in the street, or revving their engine after dark.

25. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

We get it....you don't want anyone to like what you don't like....even if those things are at the very root of this hobby.

WC145, INVISIBLEKID and Hightone111 like this.
  26. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

wait for 30 seconds in;

27. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Wow. As usual the thread turns into a crap throwing contest.

I pretty much stopped the burnout fun when driving my avatar some bystanders said “can you spin those slicks?” Result: completely trashed rear end. Tickets and broken parts, mostly transmissions slowed down my interest in overstressing drivetrain components. And my tires last a long time

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think it's always been a symbol of the potential for performance that resides in your ride to be able to break the tires loose at will, to leave a couple of dark streaks behind you. And a bit of a hooligan hot rod spirit enjoys making a little ruckus now and then. I recall the cheap thrill I would get by being able to chirp the tires shifting into 3rd gear in my OT Chevelle SS. (any healthy small block car can chirp them going into 2nd, let's see yu do it going into 3rd) But I never really enjoyed the whole smokey burnout thing too much. Tires cost too much to sit there and burn them up in one long smokey burnout. But I guess those guys put on old tires for that, eh?

Back in my high school days in the mid 70's, there were a lot of pretty hot cars driven by my fellow student. Many of them came from pretty well-to-do families. Our school sat on top of a big hill, and the entrance into the student parking lot was perfect for doing burnouts. You had to make a 45* right hand turn, and then immediately up a steep hill and at the end of that was a sharp left hand turn into the lot. It was a thing to stand at the top of the hill above the entrance and watch everyone doing burnouts, or trying to on their mom's grocery-getter wagons. Every once in awhile somebody would bring a bucket of used oil early in the morning before the traffic arrived and would oil down the entrance, then we'd all stand back and watch the fun! Some unsuspecting guys would get really squirrelly, and at least one guy I know lost it completely and spun a 360 ending up against the curb in a hot fast back Mustang. It ruined the right rear rally wheel. He did not see the humor of it at all.

Anyway, I'm surprised that the OP can't get a decent burnout with the gear he has, using the old power brake tactic. The 327 isn't exactly a torque monster, but use the brakes to hold the car back while you get the engine up into the horsepower range, then slowly release the brake pedal and it should light up the tires. Modulating the brake pressure with your left foot should let you keep it going as long as you want. Put the shift lever in Low so it doesn't upshift on you. Have fun!

WC145, INVISIBLEKID and Hnstray like this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Confucius say "man with hot rod, burn rubber".

WC145, Dino 64, RustyBullet and 8 others like this.
  30. dirrty

dirrty

In 1965 I took my 58 Chevy 4 door with stock 283 and powerglide and put a windshield washer in the trunk with a hole above the right rear tire for the hose. Just give it a squirt with dish soap mix and it would do burnouts a long way, just keep hitting the button. Everyone thought I had a strong motor, not. The best one was when I ran out of soap and me and my buddies all peed in the bottle, worked really good but smelled funny.

Deuces and j-jock like this.