Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Chop Class with a GIVEAWAY CAR at Jeff Myers' shop in Arkansas City, KS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Dr. Kniever over there...

Just 4 spots left! I have a feeling this class will fill up this weekend!

Sancho, drdave and RMONTY like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

2019 01 12 Chop class.jpg
    This picture from the January, 2019 class in Phoenix, AZ. Very hands on, I really enjoyed this class. Bucket list stuff...

3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Is the 4 open spots left for the 12 or the 16 spots?

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

For the 16.. I might push it to 18 since there's enough interest. 18 tops though, I promise!

Sancho and drdave like this.
  5. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Wish I could be there my friend, I'm already committed to an event that weekend.

drdave and Pinstriper40 like this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I will be there...with my trailer so I can take the car home after it's chopped!:)

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

You're always a busy guy Travis! Thank you for your help spreading the word!
    Ya better work hard on the car if you want to take it home!

Only 3 spots left! They'll be gone by this weekend, so if you're sittin' on the fence you better scat or get get goin'! See you all at the end of September!

8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Now that it is official, will there be some sort of list of "stuff you should bring or know before embarking on this endeavor" dealio? Should I wait by my mailbox?:D

I'm really looking forward to this!

9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Nostrebor and drdave like this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Don't forget my spot!

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  11. RMONTY

RMONTY

12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

RMONTY likes this.
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

In same the same boat......any info about what to bring would be helpful! Welding Helmet, gloves, etc.

14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Sorry guys! Here's a list of things you'll want to bring:
    -comfortable footwear
    -welding gloves
    -eye and ear protection
    -welding helmet
    -welding gloves
    -hammers and dollies, make sure they're marked
    -Notebook and pencil
    -disposable medium quality facemasks/filters are nice

That's about it! I'll still send out an email two weeks before class. Feel free to ask any other questions here!

drdave and Nostrebor like this.
  15. manyolcars

manyolcars

Tomorrow is two weeks before class

16. Gonna be a fun weekend!! Can’t wait to get started tomorrow evening!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho and arkiehotrods like this.
  17. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'll be headed that way about 10:00 am in the morning. Looking forward to picking up some "chops" so to speak!

18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

My wife and I are heading out in the morning to make a day trip of it. Cannot wait! #betterthanworking

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

First night report. Everybody showed up at 5...except the guy who had the car! I thought it would be a short meet and greet and talk about it but it didn't take long for Joel to show up with the 51 Ford and we began stripping it. We got everything out of the way, then braced the back window and the B posts. I guess we lay out cuts and began cutting in the morning. I can't post pictures but maybe someone else can.

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

Incredible progress today. Too tired to post since we were there for 14 hours

21. RMONTY

RMONTY

Great weekend at Premiere Body and Paint in Arkansas City, KS. Thank you Jeff Meyers for hosting and Joel Davis of Davis Haus of Style. A lot of great tips and tricks were shared with a great group of guys and gals. I'm sure someone will have much better pics than I got! 20190927_171923.jpg 20190929_124854.jpg

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Very cool! Wish I coulda been there!

23. RMONTY

RMONTY

We did some custom stuff like frenched in the headlights with a peaked cover over the top, Jeff Meyers did a demonstration on how he frenches in dual radio antennas, which he donated, the hood got 84 louvers, just some really cool customization. Joel Davis took the time to go over participants projects and give his perspective on how to complete certain aspects of their own projects. Plus he is a funny guy! This was way more than just a "chop" class. It was a well rounded customizing experience.

24. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Nostrebor and Pinstriper40 like this.
  25. manyolcars

manyolcars

Winner was chosen by popularity contest...that's what Joel said he would do

drdave, Nostrebor and Pinstriper40 like this.
  26. RMONTY

RMONTY

A guy named Nate, a firefighter from Topeka won it. It took 2 votes to get a winner. The first vote ended in a 3 way tie. Nate worked his ass off on that old car.

27. Super great time!! Learned a ton!! Joel is a fantastic and fun instructor. It’s gotta be hard when you have skills to give the information and turn folks loose to jump in and get it done at the risk of them not doing it to your own satisfaction (not at all saying the car didn’t turn out great or that the work was not up to par...just saying it has to be hard to not jump in and do it for everyone and just let them watch). Joel did that superbly...give instruction, step back and let you take a swing and be there for back up if you have questions. Jeff was beyond an excellent host. He and his mom cooked all the meals for us (I can still taste that brisket) and Jeff was right in there helping guys and showing additional custom tricks like the drenched headlights and antennas, louvered hood, etc. Could not have been a more fun and educational weekend.

So far as winning the car, Joel said he wanted to try something different with this class to make every effort to get the car in the hands of someone who had the interest in customs, space and time for it and see the car through sooner rather than later or someone who already had too many projects not making not much progress (I wasn’t offended by that even though I think maaaaaaaaaybe he could have been referring to me? LOL). The winner, Nate, was in there 180% all weekend, sold his “baby” to open his own shop and currently doesn’t have a project of his own. Went to a good home. The 4 people who stepped up at the end to make a case for why they would make a good home were all great candidates who would have done the car proud. Suuuper hard to cast a vote in the end, and like @RMONTY said, took a couple votes to get there.

Sure enjoyed getting to meet you guys in person and hang out learning with y’all...best class group I’ve ever been in. Everyone was eager to learn and jumped right in. If you didn’t go to this class....you should need to put it on your list and go. How’s that for an unsolicited plug? Haha. Enough....here’s some more pics....

The victim....
    [​IMG]

The end of Friday evening with the car gutted, braced and doors welded shut in alignment...

[​IMG]

Off comes the top...

[​IMG]

End of Saturday with A pillars welded, rear window tacked into position, headlights frenched/peaked (using new spun rings from Kustoms by Spence) and frenched antennas...

[​IMG]

Headlights....

[​IMG]

Antennas....

[​IMG]

Making templates for the catwalk filler and sectioning the package tray...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Templates to English wheel the c pillars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit....I had a typo when I first posted this and meant to say Nate doesn't have a "project" of his own, not a "shop" of his own. Corrected it. Carry on....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  28. Louvered hood...

[​IMG]

End of Sunday ready for its new home and finishing....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Before and after....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thank you all for the great weekend! The car ended up looking great! I got almost 100% positive feedback from the weekend. Having a KKOA HOF member looking over your shoulder was a bit nerve wracking at first, but Jeff Myers expressed his satisfaction many times with how the car came out. It was very cool to be able to do the extra little touches like the frenched antennas and headlights!

We did try a different approach this time when it came to giving the car away. I told the class at the beginning that the participants would be voting on the person who they thought worked the hardest on it and would have the greatest chance of completing the car. With the other 4 cars that I've given away they have either gone neglected for the past year (one even had a tree fall on it) or the winner was someone who did not appreciate the project. This new system leaves it up to your peers, yet if you attend the class you have every chance to step up and prove you are one to get things done!

Having said that, I believe this is the way we will be doing it from now on.

Again, thank you everyone for a successful weekend! Thank you Jeff and Jeff's Mom for being such wonderful hosts! Jeff and I have decided to make this an annual event and perhaps add another event that focuses on custom painting!

If you are interested on hosting a class or attending a future class, either send me a PM or see my facebook page,
    https://m.facebook.com/ChopClasswithJoelDavis

20190927_202509.jpg 20190928_180218.jpg 20190929_112715.jpg 20190929_182418.jpg IMG_20190929_205549_358.jpg IMG_20190929_205549_381.jpg Resized_20190929_182110.jpg