Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag IFS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpol7966, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XJ6 is def. the easiest one. Here's one I converted slightly for my avatar truck. I removed the large coil spring and substituted coil overs. I think it looks much neater (Less cluttered).
    Charlie. 011.JPG 017.JPG 054.JPG 055.JPG

62rebel and Shadow Creek like this.
  2. 5window

5window

Nice truck, great work, BUT is this really a traditional hot rod project? I have a hot rod with a MII front end, but you're not going to see it here. Just asking.

3. I fully agree with you there. I only posted this in answer to the question. I haven't done a build thread for this reason.
    Charlie

4. 5window

5window

Boston, England? I loved Boston, especially the Stump! My wife's great,great was William Brewster who was held prisoner in the Guild Hall (actually, they were allowed out of the cells at night) before the Pilgrims moved on. Good luck with your build.

5. Well Thank you for answering the question, where else would we find the answer !!!!!!!!

6. gatz

gatz

I narrowed the XJ6 IFE 2 1/2" for the Chrysler in avatar. It was quite a job, but not impossible.
    The rack & pinion was not altered; only the tierod ends were shortened 1 1/4" each to compensate.
    It came out good, but if I had to do it over again, I would only take out 2", as there's some tight places.
    I don't think 3" is doable unless there would be some major reconstruction of the R&P mountings.
    They may even have to be moved back a little.
    If you'd like to see pix, let me know.
    gatz

7. desertdroog

desertdroog

How do you like this vs the stock front end? I ask because I have a 41 Plymouth and have heard from the detractors that I should keep the stock IFS and just lower it via springs, dropped uprights and add a sway bar.
    Did you hard mount via welding or use rubber mount bolt in on your application?

8. 62rebel

62rebel

It can be done both ways, depending on what you want to have showing. Hard mounting is simpler IMHO, but soft mounting is said to give a better ride, if you don't mind the extra bracketry necessary. I've been examining my setup with a mind to replace the rack and pinion with a steering box.

9. e015475

e015475
    from Phoenix
    1. A-D Truckers

There's a social forum on the HAMB for Jag suspensions, both IRS and IFS. Participation is a little thin but most of your questions can be answered there and it minimizes potential 'traditional' issues on the main board.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/jaguar-ifs-irs-swap-group.726/

I have a Jag IFS in my '49 and soft mounted it on the original mounts. There should be a few discussions on the approaches guys have taken (including mine) to putting them in their cars in the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.