Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Giving the Valiant some love ....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GMC BUBBA, Aug 26, 2019.

1. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

We bought this car in 2006 and drove it back from San Diago on route 66. posted the ride on the hamb etc. Been in the garage for a few years , got it out detailed it etc . My grandson jacob is driving it now and this is his first ever oil change . Slant six runs really good , comp cam, holley and header ...San Diago Joe built this car and did a really good job......... jake smile.jpg sec val.jpg jake val.jpg [

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love those Valiant's, and you have a really nice one.

loudbang likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, great car. All we got were poverty pack more doors and long roofs, nothing else. We had a similar YOM more door when I was a kid, slant 6, push button auto. It was similarly a great car.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. dennisk

dennisk
    from Indiana

Hi Jim,I always liked Valiants, when I was stationed in Pensacola Florida a buddy and I went together a bought a 1960 Valiant.A good reliable car for a couple of "poor sailors". I hope to see you sometime at Tom's. Dennis

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Late 60's, in Hot Rod Magazine, was an article, "Prince Valiant", a stock class Valiant with a 273 TWO barrel car. One of the mechanics friends, at the Standard Chevron Station I worked at, had a 375 HP, 396, 4 speed, 69 Camaro; he drag raced the car on the weekends. And, he thought it was fast until we showed him the Prince Valiant article, and the times is was running; faster than his BBC Camaro! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

PRINCE VALIANT!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  6. pumpman

pumpman

Dang nice ride Bubba, glad to see it's back on the road.

loudbang likes this.
  7. The Valiant is one of those much maligned cars from the past but today they are finally getting a little respect, they have a quirky body style that at one time few people liked but today I don't doubt a lot of people would jump at the chance to find a nice example such as your, uh your grandsons. HRP

8. Kool car, Jake will love it... Hope he stays with the hobby..

loudbang likes this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Got my attention, clean too! Memories of my '65 Signet 273/235, 4spd w/factory Hurst. One of the funnist cars of my youth!:)

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My nephew, Otto had a '64 Valiant, 273 V8 Torqflite, also TWO barrel.
    Otto would hang out at Der Weinerschnitzel hot dog stand, and race for $$.
    That Valiant was 'highly tuned', ate Chevys. Amazing tight car.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am a Mopar fan , so I likey .

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would use better support than just a floor jack to crawl under any car.. Could be his last oil change....

Cosmo49, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. ........That was my thought exactly, Milo. I shuddered when I first looked at the picture. Sweet Valiant by the way, with that "leaning tower of power".:)

14. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Actually theres a big red jack stand under the A frame. I understand that all too well.....

15. .........Whew....I thought that might have been the case, but it looked like the wheel was hanging down too far for there to have been one under the A-frame. All is well, carry on.....safely.:)

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

Had a '63 Valiant. The Canadian Valiants had a Valiant front end but were Dodge Dart from there on back.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tidbit I learned recently : 1961 Plymouth Valiant & Dodge Lancer had about 11,000 with aluminum slant 6 motors -- 1962 there were about 36,000 with aluminum slant 6

18. no55mad

no55mad

65, 273 4 speed. Great car, came from the "Car Garden' collection. Anybody have an extra gas cap,? IMG_0758.JPG

19. If you owned one back the day......you laughed at the early Falcon/Chevy II and early Mustangs......haven't given up my late 1964 V/8 V200 convert as of yet...........and I've owned/drove all that I posted.....and they're gone.....

20. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Had a 64 barracuda 273 push button...helluva lot of fun! Don't lose your gas cap!

21. Those were tough little cars... Years ago, my hippy 'organic farmer' (wink, wink :rolleyes:) neighbors had one they bought used from a Seattle City Light auction. The cheapest possible fleet car, the only option was a heater. Car had well over 200K on it when they bought it, they proceeded to put another 100K+ plus on it. Finally took it off the road after one of them while drunk/high went off the road and hit a boulder and bent the front end enough that it would eat the right front tire off inside of 100 miles. Even that didn't fully kill it; it became the 'farm car' with the addition of a pair of mud-snow tires. Finally poked a hole in the oil pan on a stump and ran it out of oil...

The only major repairs I'm aware of was a timing chain/gear set, clutch, and brake shoes, plus whatever 'tinkering' it took to keep it running. The only car I've ever seen that was totally worn out... even the glove box door latch wore out.

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think there may be a clue here as to why the glove box door latch was worn out:D
    It may have been where they kept prized possessions:D

23. brad2v, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

We had a 65 Barracuda with a swapped in 318 4 speed. That little car was a lot of fun. Alas, I had to sell it. The guy that bought it got a couple tickets with it within a couple weeks of buying it. He decided he needed to tear it down and "restore" it. That was the last I heard of it. The car was in really pretty good condition, a very solid body. I wonder if its still sitting in some garage up by Juda WI someplace. Hmmm....Gene

25. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We did a 65 Barracuda with a full tube frame and a 440 4sp. Been eight years so details are foggy but do remember the narrow heavy duty rear end was hard to find. Couldn't find a finished picture but here it is just out of the paint booth---looks funny without the big back glass installed.

Baracuda painted 001.jpg Baracuda painted 002.jpg

26. brad2v

brad2v

Custom, and appears to be very well done. I've pondered doing it to my '63 Dart wagon, but I have enough going on with out adding that, lol.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. gene-koning

gene-koning

This is a very sharp looking 1966 Barracuda, or the rear quarters, doors and front fenders from a 66 were swapped onto a 65. Gene

28. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

In the summer of '66 our stationmate's early 60's Valiant slant six beat all rigs, including V-8's & M/C's, in our after hours parking lot drags. Tough little car that earned the respect of the whole crew with it's performance off the line, flat out went while everything else spun tires or wheel hopped.

Short "strip", finish line was a fence post at the end of the pavement, left lane shut down on the unpaved station entrance road while the right lane went into the unpaved lot extension. Fun ended after the Chief came in one morning and mentioned that the District might not view the black marks in the lot with as much enthusiasm as we did......

Ed

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  29. choptop40

choptop40

30. redidbull

redidbull
    from Ct

I had a 70 Duster when in high school, 1st car. I put a 273 in it out of a Valiant. Car was pretty fast at around 300 horse. The car I wish I did have though was my Dad's 73 Valiant 4dr. 318, factory AC,PS,PB. It was stock and fast. I t would make a great sleeper. Unfortunately it was traded in for a newer car. Love the old Valiants. Buddies Mom had a 60,I believe, with a Slant 6 and push button tranny. Jim