Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Chopped Tops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Ever since I was a kid I liked cars with chopped tops, every month when the new hot rod and customs magazines hit the shelves I couldn't get there fast enough to drool over all the cars that a poor kid like me could only dream about.

I have posted in the past that at 12 years old I got my first car but it was short lived, I have had a long list of hot rods and have actually owned 2 chopped cars, and strangely enough one never had a top, a 1932 Ford roadster and the other car was a 1939 Ford convertible, head room was not a problem for my 6' 4" frame and after owning theses two cars I drove several hours to look at a model A sedan with a 6" chop.

Upon arrival I knew it was a waste of time but I decided to try it on for a fit just for the heck of it, I realized very quickly there was no way on Gods green earth my knuckle dragging Neanderthal body wasn't going to fit in that car.

As much as I still like them I realize my chop top days are over unless I get obsessed with another '32 roadster, tops on roadsters are overrated! :D

So I would really like to hear your chop top story's and maybe see your lowered top cars. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You just need a rod with a basement.....

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the second one I ever did, 1996. That's me in the hat.

[​IMG]

This is the same car today.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

4. Jeff, did you ever install glass in those pneumonia holes? HRP

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. How much did you chop the top. HRP

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

chopped '30 Ford Coupe - nothing smooth about it - the finish, the sounds, the lack of interior but, was young and we didn't care - kept at a friends house out back where even his parents did not see it - insurance, who needed insurance - we were invincible - except when hitting railroad tracks too hard - if the roof is chopped the human frame must go somewhere - lower the floor pan lower into frame open area - move back & thin out seat padding - run a smaller than stock diameter steering wheel - do not run interior door panels to give minute extra elbow room - run a traffic light viewing prism - run exterior rearview mirrors bigger than a 50 cent piece - don't worry about a radio because the lack of an exhaust system will produce the music (maybe not to the guy next to you in the OT car) - if you give up the cushy life of a high end late model car and want to experience a ride that you will never forget - but, as our bodies age with lots of parts that do not bend like they once did you may have to leave the dream behind - but, your big rearend will stay with you

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just chop a sedan and sit in the back seat.

spudshaft, Rickybop, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  9. Kinda did that. 29 sedan. 4" channel, 6" chop. Floors even with bottom of frame rails. 2" foam pad for seat and seat back. Moved pedals and shifter back. Pretty comfortable, but I had to get out passenger door because steering was in the way. No side glass or panels. My 6', 275lb frame snuggled right in and I never felt safer, kinda like I was in my mothers womb, if my mom was standing next to the speakers at a Stones concert.

302GMC, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  10. deadbeat

deadbeat

Thanks @Jalopy Joker that pretty much summed it up for me and yes to @49ratfink exactly what will happen in my 30 A tudor 30.png

BigO, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

never had a chopped sedan - but, had a stock body '31 Ford Coupe that I traded for a stock body '34 Plymouth 2 door sedan, which have a look of a chop top - did not sit in back seat but, having extra leg room was terrific - made a big difference riding in a 30's car

BigO, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  12. 1time

1time
    from minnesota

2an a half front 2 outta the back

Attached Files:

hfh, Luke stone, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  13. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

My first attempt at chopping a car. 49 Dodge Coronet crew cab. Lost the roof completely and chopped the windshield 6 inches. My second attempt. 51 Chevy crew cab. Chopped 4 inches in the front and 4.5 inches in the back. Moved the rear of the roof forward 3 inches and also took 1/2 inch out of the roof skin, above the drip rails. Sadly haven't touched the car in 6-7 years. I hope to finish it in the somewhat near future.

ct1932ford, wicarnut, ladyhrp and 4 others like this.
  14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Chopped a lot of cars over the years. Three to three and half is the best for anything . I am 6' 1" and any more and I am crouched over . My 51 is 3 in the front and 4 in the rear and I run 64 T bird buckets, the stock seat would have you near the headliner. Guys that are chopping things 6 to 8 inches better be short and if they want to sell it they better find someone of equal height! lol but stock height Mercs are to old man looking for me! Larry

15. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

• DDED435D-7C63-4EB4-9CFE-21DFCDD3BCBD.jpeg ACBAD5D8-99FD-48E1-8A83-2F898DD6ACA7.jpeg Chopped our 1931 Pontiac 3” out of the windshield and 2.5” out of the rear window. I have Austin-Healey seats on modified Corvette C3 seat tracks to help with the head room.

ct1932ford, BigO, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

Chopped my '47 Plymouth 4" at the windshield and laid the back end down until it looked right. My 6' 4" or so buddy had no problem fitting in it. Measured my daily driver at the time and found that the distance from the floor to the headliner was about the same as the Plymouth, but with the dashboard about 4" higher. My mom being rather short, couldn't see above the dash. Me being 5'4" tall, chopped tops have never been an issue.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

Forgot to mention that the seats are a lot lower than stock.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

All things kind of have a place,like very low chops for race only* car body for aero!
    Seating layout is only part of a story.

I like to draw cars an monsters cartoons,and in drawing those, we make the cars as outrageous as needed=not really cars, just kind of stupid crazy like a car,that dose not need to work in the real world.
    Yes ,I air brushed T-shirts in the 1950s under the name "The Bat". But also got some rides in a few hot rods before building my own rods an customs. Things I knew then an now,is if your having a poor time seeing out of a real car your driving on the street=it is a bad design and is not going to be used much=so is kind of wasted. Taking that one more step, over chop dose not look cool,just looks like some one was very under informed,to those that know. Now that I'm pass my mid 70s,I still like cartoon cars on a shirt or drawing,but I've always known witch is real an witch is just screwed up, do to builder living in a bubble. Low looks good if it's works.
    { There was a law for a time,not less front window glass height then one dollar bill(about 6.25 in.) you need 8in. or more mostly! Some too young to know of it !
    A sad human nature thing by some, is when told about a mistake they may of done or think they like. They defend it,like it's the end of the world, if they admit they screwed up there car ! So don't fix,an really do drive it less ! Or even park or sell it,to next guy that has not yet learned.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    A 2 B, wicarnut, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picked up this 51 Chrysler, looks like a 4 - 6 inch chop..with the stock sofa seat . I'm 5 10 and I just clear the roof..Stock seats are going any way. Heavy suckers... image.jpeg

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

chopped '54 Chevy & '51 Ford much easier to see out of than 30 Ford Coupe 20181009_110636 (1).jpg '51 more 4 001 (2018_01_21 21_05_00 UTC).jpg

ct1932ford, wicarnut, ladyhrp and 5 others like this.
  21. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I love the look of a chopped rod. Bought this A project from a HAMBer with a 6 1/2 inch chop. I'm 6-2 and 200 at 66 years old. Getting in the drivers door was an exercise in contortionism...even with a quick release steering wheel. And seeing traffic lights...I could tell there was no way. I didn't have it long. Now I have an unchopped A and all is good with the world. h1.jpg 20181025_133835 (3).jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

My '29 Ford Tudor, still have the chopped pieces, think it was a 4 inch chop, I'll check. Sold the project and took the family on a cross country vacation to Wyoming back in the late 1990's. Saw it finished as a Street Rod...…………..not how I planned it to be. Bob
    DSCF3637.JPG DSCF3638.JPG

ct1932ford, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    4 inches chopped in 1980 seat sits a few inches lower than a stock seat . I can still drive with my arm on the window sill. I can also get a large drink through the window at a drive through.
    The plan for the 31 Vic is to take about 1-1/2 to 2 inches out to get the proportions better but not looks squashed.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

Chopped tops, tattoos and apple pie!

25. bchctybob

bchctybob

I chopped my '32 5w 3 1/2" back in the '70s and it was ok to see out of for the most part. In the '90s I bought a nice chopped '31 Tudor body and built a full fendered car around it. I don't know how much it was chopped but it was nicely done and not too low, maybe 3 1/2 - 4". The seats had to be set back and close to the floor, being back meant the steering column was back too which made getting in and out a little tougher. The worst part was getting a neck cramp trying to see traffic lights. No matter, I loved how it looked and recently tried (unsuccessfully) to buy it back.
    Nothing looks more wicked than the right chop on the right car.
    DSCN1918.JPG

26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I'm too short for a stock top.:)

[​IMG]

BJR, Luke stone, ct1932ford and 7 others like this.
  27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You always have to have the "roof laying on the floor" picture. I took 4inches out of this one.

[​IMG]

Here she is finished.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

28. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My beater shop truck had a bit of a tractor cab.

[​IMG]

Only took 2 out of it.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

ct1932ford, wicarnut, ladyhrp and 9 others like this.
  29. Good looking truck Jeff. HRP

30. If it ain't broke Chop It!:cool: I have had 3-32 five windows all chopped. A Model A sedan I took 4-1/2" out of:cool:,a 32 Roadster chopped. a chopped 49 Chevy pickup. I chopped a friends 32 Two sedan and another guys three window. Yes I love chopped tops. Just don't waste your time doing a 1-1/2" or two inch chop. My sawzall is always idling with a fresh blade in it, just in case.:p Although today a cut off wheel may be OK.;) Here are some of them!
    32-5window_0008.jpg IMG_8328 (2).JPG IMG_5924.JPG
    Vaun_0012.jpg IMG_1910.JPG IMG_5865.JPG

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019