Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Changes to the rules for VIN/Serial verification in California.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Dec 15, 2018.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My thoughts were it sounded like it depending on the inspectors call---parts pulled from a yard, out of the woods, or at a swap meet could all be considered "salvage" or "junk" {as in junk yard}. As with anything that has to be inspected, a lot has to do with the inspector, his knowledge, what kind of day he's having, etc. I feel for you guys. Just glad it's nowhere near that complicated here. But y'all have many more people there, so many more that want to game the system, I can understand it being stricter.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are the most populous state, and have over 32-million registered vehicles on the roads.

Even if those trying to circumvent the law are a tiny percentage of the population, it is still a sizeable number.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have been able to register a few old Fords out of system in the past that were legit but no paper work. Abandoned etc. Looks like that is no longer viable. Were verified by CHP or licensed VIN verification people. No more for me-I will believe and go along with whatever Gimpy has to say on the subject.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Gimpy: What do shops like Brizio's. Moal's etc. do that are building a sizeable number of ground up cars with repro bodies and frames?

5. Ship them to New York State...

rust runner likes this.
  6. CA. 280

CA. 280

Good question. And shops like Ward's "Icon Derelict" with complete, brand new Morrison chassis's??
    Guess I could e-mail and ask.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Having been in this neck of the woods my entire life, I've known many CHPs. Car guys some. They were not above assisting in vehicle verifications when it's clear no foul play was involved. May have changed now with tighter rules.

Used to just pull up at the truck scales on 101 with the form if a CHP car or bike was there. Happy to come out and do the deed.

Lately I've heard they want you to make an appointment at the office, bring the car down, goes behind a gate and a well trained VIN officer with a stack of books looks it over. If it doesn't fly, you walk home.

Truck64 likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can register a car as special construction, with a Manufacturer Statement of Origin on the frame, and receipts for major parts.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gimpy, you and I have clashed in the past about politics and CA, so I won't say anything more than I'm glad that GA only worries about titles till a car's more than 25 years old.
    I recognize that your auto theft problem is disproportionately much higher than here, and I'll keep my opinions on this to myself.
    Just glad I don't have to worry with this.

10. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

I'd completely agree. Bottom line is we hotrodders and car enthusiasts are a sentimental bunch, and the Machine of Glowing Progress and Global Sensitivity doesn't care. The first rule of bureaucracy is, any measure taken must maintain the bureaucracy itself. The more Byzantine and unknowable the path, the more the Machine thrives. My wife says I am paranoid tho...

Nostrebor and Fuelaltereds4life like this.
  11. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not paranoia if someone is really after you.

Blues4U and Truck64 like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

This makes perfect sense. The new rules don't. Glad I live in Iowa, we love hot rods here.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again, this has nothing to do with hot rods (or conspiracy).

XXL__ likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Makes no difference what state your in there’s a difference in what the teller behind the counter “ can “ do for you and what they “ will” do for you. Most states , anyway.
    Sometimes it depends on the customer’s attitude or sometimes it has to do with the type of day the person behind the counter is having, and sometimes it’s a new employee that doesn’t quite know all the ropes yet. Just my experiences.

Bones

Tri-power37 and low down A like this.
  15. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I'm dealing with this right now...Called CHP today, they told me I had to see DMV first. I do have an old reg card so I'm hoping for the best . Will post my findings...Probably be last one I buy with no title.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck!

lumpy 63 likes this.
  17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Thank you, Ive bought lots of vehicles with no titles always ones that had been sitting for years always above board...no shady shit...Never been a problem before going through the proper channels. Oh well times are a changin:confused: . I can predict lots of vintage tin going to the crusher because people don't want to deal with the BS.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Well I seem to have dodged a bullet, I went to a private reg service and when the gal pulled it up on screen it had history in the data base from 2014. :D Hey Gimpy my question is can you start the neccesary paper work and initial vin verification in order to visit the CHP? Thanks in advance..Lumpy

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, here is what I have found out, and this only applies if there is no supporting official documentation (aka: barn find):

It has to be a visually complete car. This was described to me as "with everything it was sold with".
    The car must first go to the DMV for a VIN/serial number inspection.
    If the DMV official is not pleased with what they find, it goes to CHP, and they know how to check for freshly welded in metal.
    You will need a title bond.
    If anything is legally hanky with the the CHP inspection, you never see the car again.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just sell it out-of-state. Everyone wants "California cars" anyway.

I could, but they won't accept it for vehicles that are on the prohibited list.

stillrunners and lumpy 63 like this.
  21. AKATIREGUY

AKATIREGUY

So, just know starting this title process with my build. Friend at CHP tells me their inspector needs to see the vin on the original spot on the original frame, under the body of the car. Essentially now that I have had a complete custom frame built... tapping or welding the frame section with the vin to it does not fly. They would rather see the weak rusty frame on the road. Or at least a majority of the original vehicle in tact. Otherwise it will be listed as 2019 year specially constructed vehicle. Then the questions on engine block verification came up with regards to weather it would require smog equipment???? I'm hoping I just have an inspector on a power trip. My frame is a few hours north at my dads shop. May try my luck at his DMV first.

22. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope this doesn't turn into a "I wish I had gotten my car titled before I spent all this money" thread.

irishsteve likes this.
  23. Ca offers a total of 500 special construction exemptions each year.It allows the builder to run a engine with out all the smog control.They normally go quickly the first day,or two in January.Large custom shops suck them up.Makes registration easier.One other trick is go through the inspection with a flattie since its smog free...then pull it,and drop in a late model high horse engine.

AKATIREGUY and dirty old man like this.
  24. Hessler

Hessler

Hi to all, I hope someone can direct me on what might be better in my case, I have been reading a lot of posts here, I just bought a 1934 ford "cab", yes just the cab, but the truck was take apart and I got the cab with the Title from South Dakota, I also got the vin cut off the frame, so since I do not have a running truck and original frame, is it better to go the "special construction sb100" route? or having the Tittle from South Dakota is good enough to change it to my name to a CA tittle? thanks for your replies in advanced guys.

25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'34 Ford cabs did not have a VIN. '34 Fords had the number on the frame. When I registered a '40 Ford truck that I purchased in OK with a clear title in CA I needed a VIN inspection and a weight certificate in order to get a CA title. So without a frame with a number on it under a complete truck you are pretty much out of luck IMO. If you are planning on somehow welding the VIN you have that was cut off the original frame onto another frame DON'T unless you're looking for a bundle of legal trouble. Again IMO.

26. evintho

evintho

The SPCNS/SB100 Certificate of Sequence #s don't disappear on the first 2 days of the year, anymore. They're now available pretty much throughout the year. I just registered my avatar roadster last month and received SB100 Certificate of Sequence #81. I had a Cert of Seq # from 2010 when I originally started the process and was told by DMV to call in every 3 years and that would reset the clock so the # wouldn't be purged. To be on the safe side, I called in every 2 years and was told "yeah, your # is still in the system". Imagine my surprise when I walked into DMV last month to finalize everything and was told "your Cert of Seq # is no longer valid"!
    I think the clerk saw the rage building up in my face when she said "calm down, we'll just get you another. There's many of them left". Again, ask 5 different DMV clerks the same question, you'll get 5 different answers!

Follow the rules and build the car to California regulations. There's a link within my below link for 'CHP requirements for a Specially Constructed Vehicle'. It's very helpful. You'll have a few hoops to jump through but it's basically a painless process. With a SPCNS Cert of Seq you will be smog exempt and don't worry about all the 2019 safety regulations. The SB100 portion of it gives you the choice of registering the car under the year of the engine OR year of the body. If you choose the year of body (and you should) the BAR referee defaults the year to 1960, no matter the year of the car. Therefore, you're bound to smog regs (PCV valve) and safety regs (seatbelts, lights, turn signals, etc.) for a 1960 vehicle.

Here's a write-up I did a few weeks ago...…..
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ly-constructed-vehicle-in-california.1152488/

XXL__ and stillrunners like this.
  27. I'm thinking of trying to get a title for the parts car I got late last year. So the correct way is to:
    1. Call Sacramento DMV and find out if there's any history on the VIN for the car.
    2. Call local PD to find out if car is stolen or anything
    3. Go to the DMV for a VIN verification
    4. Fill out a statement of facts
    5. Get a bonded title if approved by the DMV

Does that sound correct, is that all???.

28. Is a lien sale still an option?

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

remember, VIN started in 1954 - earlier identification tags usually are just production numbers, etc - many early vehicles were registered using the engine number - lots of variables were used

30. Sorry, should have clarified. It's a '59/'60 Hillman Husky. I just have a hand written bill of sale, no registration in the car or no plates. I'm going to find the VIN and call it in first.....it still might be just a parts car.....for now.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019