Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Fall Auburn auction and swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Aug 29, 2019.

1. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Spring before last, I scored a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr Continental and a 1941 Lincoln Zephyr (chopped) convertible at the RM Sotheby's Auburn Auction. Can't post pix on the HAMB because they are both "modern" cars, featuring full running gear (engine, trans, complete suspension with air ride) and interior (bucket seats, digital dash, A/C, stereo) from a 1999 Lincoln Continental Mark VIII. Built by Larry Tripp, the Okie from Muskogee, who has 50+ NSRA awards for his builds, in 2003. Both cars are spectacular. Working with RM Sotheby's was a wonderful experience - my first time buying at auction. Registering as a telephone bidder is free, and there are always some great deals to be had, particularly on the no reserve lots.

2. killbilly

killbilly

Mark does Guffey have the car that he bought rccently from Texas there ? sprint or champ car I think an injected Pontiac offset mounted to the left side. Been sitting under a tree for the last several years..I saw a picture of it at Steve Truchans a while back..very interesting

3. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Back to the swap meet, for the purpose of planning for next year: How many vendors and how long does it take to walk thru it? Full of socks, trinkets, and car models- or primarily rusty stuff we like? Worth the 9 hour trip one way? Thanks.

4. I keep going back to peek at the American La France alloy crankcases, two of them ( !! ) ... the 346 Cadillac ... the axial superchargers, and that Sun distributor machine. I can't even think.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes, that car is really cool.....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would guess that it takes several hours to walk through it. Admittedly there is more man cave decorations than there are car parts.....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

One thing I noticed as I walked the auction: the word “Sotheby” was no where to be found, not on signage, the buildings, not even on the catalog cover. My thought is after the Monterey fiasco with the Porsche
    that maybe Sotheby’s wanted to distance them selves from RM. or maybe RM is doing the Auburn thing as a separate event from the “RM-Sotheby’s” auctions.

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I noticed that also. Did you know that RM sold the auction park to the Fort Wayne truck auction company? I guess there is a five year lease back agreement twice a year for RM to hold auctions, but I would bet that is the end of the swap meet.....

12. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Yes, I read that in the local newspaper. It would seem that having that large of an overhead cost for two annual events would not be good business. I believe they have the option to rent the auction park back from the new owner for the spring and fall events.
    I did saw a large turbo helicopter land yesterday in the area adjacent to the auction, a little while later I saw Rob Meyers (RM) walk past me. Must have been a coincidence.

Moriarity likes this.
  13. I stayed overnight at Mike Guffey's a few years ago after the Good Guy's Indianapolis event. He had quite a collection then, and it looks like he has added to it. He has the eye, and the wherewithal to find and aquire the cars for his collection.

Moriarity likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'll bite, what happened in Monterey??

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

AC78ED0E-1016-4803-A3A1-13EE006211D0.jpeg This was the find of the event for me. It is embarrassing how little I paid for this....

16. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

They had an “issue” when auctioning a rare Porsche.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckt...-concours-delegance-festivities/#715f1bb55f77
    They are many more articles online about what happened. I was watching the live feed when it all went down and it had me confused at first, then I realized that there was something going on. Some blame the auctioneer because he had a Dutch accent and might have been misunderstood, I know that RM went into damage control mode as soon as the car left the stage. I have watched or attended quite a few big ticket item auctions and this one had me scratching my head.

stanlow69 and Moriarity like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

So did Cord sell at the auction? Are there going to be new Cords made soon?

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know anything about that. I was at the RM sale which is separate from the events going on in town....

19. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

What cord are you referring to? Being this was the ACD annual event there were dozens of Cords there. RM auctions had a few of them in their catalog, World Wide had at least one that I saw when I was walking their building.
    I believe there are a couple of companies offering reproduction Cords.
    Now back to our regular scheduled programming.........

20. alchemy

alchemy

The company was for sale at auction. Rights to the name and all trademarks. Probably no factory or old stock left though.

21. Where I live you wouldn’t see 2% of the goods shown in the pics at swaps here in a lifetime!
    Thanks for taking the time to post,it’s great to see what’s out there.

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

23. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

The rights to the trademark sold for 80k at the Worldwide auction, https://news.yahoo.com/cord-sells-bargain-price-auction-222411849.html
    The two auctions are across I-69 from each other, there is a pedestrian tunnel that runs under the road to access either venue.

24. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

Thanks for the great coverage! I go there every year as well. I hope it continues to grow, although I know it won't be what it was 30 years ago, it does seem to keep people coming!

kabinenroller and Moriarity like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The fun part for me is that there is really something for everyone there. from heavy classics to modern muscle and everything in between. throw in a swap meet, and car corral and all the food vendors from the state fair... I jokingly call it the "golf cart nationals"... I will go as long as they have it

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.