Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who in So Cal straightens rims?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Aug 29, 2019.

1. exterminator

exterminator

I bought a couple of steelies for my 40 a while back and one of the rims has a place on the rim that needs to be straighten before powder coating. Any recommendations? Thanks Exterminator

2. They are wheels...........!

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

But he can skate on this one...look closely. His STEELIES have a dented RIM, all acceptable usage, and he is directed to a WHEEL repair facility. Who can say where he would have gone...
    And he did not use RIMZ, which would have convicted him and rendered the offense CAPITAL.

Moriarity, Irish Mike and williebill like this.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Webb: The rim is the outer band of the wheel. Probably where the bend is. I think the OP used the terminology correctly.

exterminator likes this.
  5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Correct only by accident..!
    I was gonna ask the same thing...what's actually bent, the "wheel" (center, makes the whole wheel wobble) or just the "rim" ?

Mike

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

W ell one thing for sure, a guy can strap the wheel on his bicycle and haul it there from Victorville if he has to. It's a rare day when you find the service you need within 10 miles of the house.
    I remember visiting my aunt and uncle in Santa Monica a few days after I got out of the Army in Texas and riding down to some back street shop in that area where they straightened one of the steel wheels for my un's Rambler Marlin that he had hit a curb with. The machine looked like it had been around since the 20's but it did a nice job on that wheel.

7. exterminator

exterminator

8. exterminator

exterminator

Rim

9. evintho

evintho

Any wheel repair shops in NorCal?? Both the steelies up front on the roadster are slightly bent. They're 14" off a Chevy Nova, I believe. I could probably find another pair at a swap but they could be bent too. I'd like to find a wheel repair facility up here to see if they can straighten mine.

10. Mount well to front hub so you can spin it and mark flat spot.
    A hammer and a broad tire iron with rounded edge may well do the job. Then spin it again on hub to see how you did. The last one I fixed, used several layers of blue tape to protect powder coat. Not able to see the repair.

Phil