Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amen! I take my nine year old son out in the shop whenever I can! He has his own toolbox as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf, Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. You have that right. It was a good thing that I had my head attached, and that the first thing I did, was run for a wrench to undo the ground connector. Seconds were critical. The ground cable was bubbling from the heat.

After spending the better part of the day tearing the dash apart and looking for the problem. I isolated the problem to a shorted solenoid in the engine compartment that was part of the original truck equipment for a dual battery installation. I disabled it, and checked the current between the ground wire and the battery, and there is no current flow.
    Problem solved!
    Now that I have the instrument cluster out, I am going to fix the lights and check the grounds before I reinstall it.
    I can't seem to get ahead, so that I can work on the my Cameo, instead of doing a constant stream of complex repairs.
    Bob

osage orange and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Came home after work and cleaned up the 15x4 slot mags I just got for the 37 . Worked on the Ot turbo 65 Mus$*^# For rocky mountain drag week . Ready for bed now:cool:

swade41 and osage orange like this.
  4. Lil32

Lil32

changed plugs in coupe

osage orange likes this.
  5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Installed a stop in my 454s HEI. There are two holes next to the two holes for the rotor. I just tapped one and put a screw in it making sure it isn't too long. Now I am running 26 degrees initial with 10 degrees mechanical in by 2500.. Wow what a difference in performance!
    I disconnected the vacuum advance too, now it idles and cruises nice a stable. I no longer have to keep correcting the throttle due to the vacuum advance changing everything all the time..
    The idle has a nice deep stable tone without that vac advance..

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    osage orange and saltflats like this.
  6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

thursday.JPG I drove my Riviera down to the credit union so I could withdraw enough cash to pay the driver the balanced owed on shipping my new 32 Ford sedan delivery to me from NY.;):D
    The Rivi ran great and idled so low that I was thinking it might cut off but never even thought about missing a beat! I am still impressed by the carburetor magician a pal found here locally. This car runs and idles so sweetly to have TWO four barrel carbs on it!
    My 32 cabriolet which, by the way, also has a Buick engine with two four barrels runs just as well and were done by the same guy.:)
    Of course, the little cabriolet is much lighter than the Riviera so I put the 425 cubic engine Gran Sport in that car versus the 401 in this car... to compensate for the lack of weight!;)
    You gotta love my hot rod logic!!:D:D

Elcohaulic, 40two, swade41 and 9 others like this.
  7. Played on the puter & watched the grandsons while the wife was out spending money. When she returned and we carried all her plunder into the house. Little Deano and I went out and worked on my 301 JD tractor. bought it last year. It had not been started in 10 months. Blew out the fuel lines and cleaned up the battery cables. it fired right up. I had Deano go inside and I used it to mow some tall weeds .its a government surplus and has a mid mount hyd controlled sickle bar mower. Kinda fun to use has power steering and very maneuverable. I have a front end loader from a Chinese dong feng tractor. I might try and install it on the little JD.

Boneyard51 and Lil32 like this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5059.JPG Breakfast with the boys at the Cockeyed Rooster.

9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Called AAA to jump my off topic truck..Sat for 3 weeks.. battery 2 years old., Max Start Delphi 18 battery...Probably get a new one before winter..

10. Basically the same thing, met up with 9 club members at the Cracker Barrel for breakfast then took the scenic ride home. HRP

002.JPG

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    32SEDAN, LAROKE, Jalopy Joker and 3 others like this.
  11. It wasn't too hot Today So Debbie and I took Grayson and Deano to the Mammoth Spring Ar. car show. I ran into a old friend and Deano got mad because I talked too long to suit him. There was a real nice black 62 chevy bubble top with a low hp 409 was my favorite. One old jalopy had one of those swa fish &cars 002.JPG fish &cars 013.JPG fish &cars 031.JPG fish &cars 032.JPG fish &cars 044.JPG fish &cars 067.JPG fish &cars 063.JPG fish &cars 010.JPG mp cooler air conditioners. The boys liked the cars and where super excited. Afterward we visited the national fish hatchery aquarium exibit at the same location.. All in all not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning.

12. At the car show. There was a Hearse full of skeletons my wife got a kick out of it. She thought the guy in the back should be missing every other toe. Just have three on one foot and two on the other. fish &cars 020.JPG fish &cars 021.JPG fish &cars 023.JPG

osage orange likes this.
  13. Caprice89

Caprice89

Put boiled linseed oil on my Paneltruck.

(yes, I did take care of the rags properly; no burned workshop) IMG_20190831_153216.jpeg

Sent from my hand held online shouting device.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  14. 62rebel

62rebel

Despite the ominous warnings of dire weather, I cut the front lawn, and took the 2100 carburetor off the Galaxie to rebuild it. It's a wonder that it ran at all, it was full of gelled fuel and gunk. Took about an hour to clean it up and replace the guts; finally got a running Galaxie 289.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was in the junkyard cutting out a trunk floor for my custom 500,probably the only usable trunk floor in that yard since all the other were on the ground or the trunks open. No one took out the key cylinder on this car so it had been shut since put in the yard and was up in the air since someone had grabbed the axles,the floor came with a hitch and that hitch was the only thing holding up the rear of the frame as it came down when the hitch was cut loose of the bumper.

Attached Files:

16. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Finished the heater install in my 50. Not even September yet and I’ve had a long sleeve shirt for awhile the last couple days. I do believe I hear Arizona calling me back home.....

osage orange likes this.
  17. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

You might want to wait a couple more weeks...

osage orange likes this.
  18. Got this and this and that. Now I got to make something 20190831_173159.jpeg 20190829_120658.jpeg 20190829_121013.jpeg

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

32SEDAN likes this.
  19. flatford39

flatford39

Welded the A flange on to my F-1 steering box. Really happy with how it turned it out. Used my 20ton press to remove the old bushings and I am ready to rebuild the box.

I have had a pretty good month so far working on my AV8. Should have a steerable complete running gear with engine trans etc in a few weeks that I can move around the shop without a floor jack.

Baby steps but steps in the right direction.

osage orange likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Went to Lime Rock, practice day for Monday's race. Saw old friends and a few HAMB era cars. Bob DSCF3640.JPG DSCF3648.JPG DSCF3639.JPG DSCF3652.JPG DSCF3662.JPG

That blue Siata with a FIAT V8 received a total restoration after a gal on he CELLPHONE did this to it.
    SIATA092-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    32SEDAN, 40two, osage orange and 2 others like this.
  21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5062.JPG
    Began cleaning the wheels on my 65 Riviera. Wheel cleaned up nice but the old tires still look ragged!:eek::D New tires are next if nobody in the Riviera Club buys the package. Naw; think I'll get it painted and then put on new tires!;) Opportunities!!:D

22. Continued working on the chassis. Getting it ready to be blasted and then painted. Have a cruise in to do tomorrow.

23. 62rebel

62rebel

That's a goddamn shame right there

24. 62rebel

62rebel

osage orange and The37Kid like this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

went to a small show in Loomis, CA 20190831_090942.jpg 20190831_091456.jpg

26. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Drove the 37 out to the shop today ...Because even after running the engine on the run stand , it developed a leak from the rear main seal:mad: I had used a brand of rear main seal I don't normally use as my local parts supplier was out of em...So changed everything out today ,sweating my ass off in this awesome humidity. Decided to drive the shop shitbox S10 home to let the rtv on the corners of the pan gasket cure overnight. The good news is the 377 runs like a striped ass ape :D So I guess I shouldn't be too upset...

osage orange likes this.
  27. drug out a 65 chevy 4 door Belair and sold it. They loaded it up on a trailer and headed south to Memphis. I got a tad too hot. came inside took a shower. I am now drinking a cold beverage. Its always a win if I can sell something and make a few dollars.

osage orange likes this.
  28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Picked up a pair of rotors for a o/t truck from the junkyard,might go back and get more parts for another o/t truck tomorrow if they are open.

Attached Files:

osage orange likes this.
  29. rc57

rc57

Finally got back out in the garage after a long lack of ambition and finished up the grille for my '57 truck.
    '57 truck surround with modified '57 car grille bar. Just need to paint yet.
    First pic is concept back in '09-ish.
    Maybe I'll get this thing done yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Bridgewater Tractor Parade. My Hippie wife was on the Woodstock float.:eek: I parked and took pictures.:rolleyes: Some nice vintage tractors, as always.:cool:
    IMG_5923.JPG IMG_5940.JPG IMG_5947.JPG
    saw these guys also watching!
    IMG_5967.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.