Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. so you learned sumthin? you found out that saw will cut meat as easy a wood! I ve got a mangled pinky finger on my left hand put it where I shouldn't have and mashed it. never even went to a doctor. just taped it with black tape and went back to work. It was really painful. crooked now and stings in cold weather. In my part of the world guys sawed furniture squares on a contraption called a square mill. Almost every person who ran one had fingers missing.

Attached Files:

osage orange likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I now join the club! That club members , include my grandfather, my shop teacher, two of my friends , Old Wolf, and I know countless others. Not a club I wanted to join!

Bones

osage orange and Old wolf like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

I thank God I still have all 21 of my digits....

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

5. My wife has threatened to cut off every other one of my toes. leave three toes on one foot and two in the other. I crawled in bed with dirty feet.

6. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya'll can call me a puss, but that gives me the creeps....I hurt just lookin at it.

61Cruiser, Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You ought to see it without the band aid! Yuck!

Bones

Deuces likes this.
  8. I was doing some routine maintenance, checking the oil and adding transmission fluid, on my GMC 3/4 ton. After closing the hood and starting to walk away, my wife yelled at me that the truck was smoking! The smoke was coming from the hood, but the area where the smoke was coming from was rapidly rapidly increasing to the point that I couldn't see my wife about 8 ft away from me.
    I ran to the tool box, grabbed the 1/2 inch wrench and proceeded to disconnect the negative battery terminal.
    The battery wire was already starting to melt the insulation off, but I was able to loosen, and remove the hot cable by using a wrench, and grabbing enough nearby paper to provide some protection for the other hand.
    I have owned the truck for 20 years, never had an electrical problem. Looking at the damage, it has to be a hot wire that runs to somewhere under the dash, and must have gotten pinched somewhere under the dash.
    I am going to tear it apart tomorrow, but it is going to be a nightmare getting under the dash to work. I am going to attempt to pull the instrument panel, in an attempt to get a better look that way.
    There does not appear to be any damage to the fused systems, so this has to be a hot wire from the battery.
    It is a real puzzle, and I am hoping that it isn't in the steering column. I don't have a wiring diagram, so that will be my first search tomorrow.
    Bob

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

j-jock, you probably already thought of this, but on those trucks, if it has stock interior, the seat will come out easily and give you a lot of extra room to work under the dash. With my age, back and weight, it would be a must for me , if I was going to spend any amount of time working under the dash......just a thought.

Bones

TrailerTrashToo, Old wolf and j-jock like this.
  10. It is going to be a real problem for me today, because my mobility is limited. As you suggest, I will have a look at pulling the seat, but that might cause me other problems because I don't think it has ever been removed.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Remember, penetrating oil and patience, working the bolts back and forth are your friends, now!

Bones

X-cpe and j-jock like this.
  12. 62rebel

62rebel

With nothing else to work with, I decided to address the wobbly column in the Galaxie; found two of the four bottom panel screws missing and the other two there, but stripped out holes. Damn. Probably going to have to use J-nuts to get the panel tight. And, it's starting to rain. Damn. Upside to this? I found the two short pieces of trim that go on either side of the trunk lid. As far as I know there are no repops of those.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Bones, the one thing I have, is patience. My wife can't understand how I never get angry or upset when I am working on a vehicle and everything is going wrong. My answer is always the same, it is just a machine, and it doesn't make choices. Remaining calm is the key to solving most difficult problems.
    Bob

14. Not me. Ive been known to throw a Donald Duck fit!! Don't do it hardly ever now that Im old no point in wasting the energy. I got mad at the door on my OT 82 yesterday. and went inside and drank some beer. haven't touched it today. don't have to worry about getting the window down as its not in the door any more. LOL.

62rebel and j-jock like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Wow! Could I borrow some of that??? ....... I do walk away from things for a while......sometimes! Lol

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  16. Ive walked away from some stuff for decades. One time I turned over a H farmall tractor. All the tires pointing toward the sky. Left it that way for three years. must of been some salt or mineral in the front tires? The Squirrels ate all the rubber off them just left the cord? and they still held air! They didn't touch the rear tires. Thats the beauty of having a hoard of stuff. You are not desperate to get whatever vexed you fixed because you have something else to use until you get around to it.

Boneyard51 and j-jock like this.
  17. Bones,
    I don't know how I acquired the skill. Maybe it was the pilot training and the way we had to handle emergencies in single engine jets. When something went terribly wrong, the best first thing to do was to remain calm. You can't troubleshoot an engine flameout when you are in autoflail, and the last option, ejecting, is a crapshoot, particularly at high speed.
    Bob

Old wolf and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. What year is it, I might have a book out in the garage.

j-jock likes this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When your in that single engine jet, by yourself, you have no one but you, to figure out the problem, that’s for sure! It takes a cool head to keep calm in that situation, I would imagine! Jets don’t fly well with out thrust!
    I am usually, somewhat cool, most of the time........but I can get wound up tight, upon occasion! Lol

Bones

20. Possibly I should drink the beer and maybe smoke sumthin before I tackle the door on the OT 83 chevy. Its designed for someone who is young and agile and does nothing but that one thing on the assembly line. Not made to be worked on by a old half blind arthritic 68 year old to juggle all those parts in place when he cant reach or see them. and the electric motor I removed said made in Mexico. and to boot the assembly I removed and inside the door was covered in some kinda sticky grease and I kept getting it on my hands and I couldn't grip the glass very well.

j-jock and Boneyard51 like this.
  21. Wah Hoo!! I went out with a head lamp and the sun was at its zenith. and my 3 year old grandson Deano went with me. He's the little one on the left in my avatar. He is my shadow when he is here and awake. I could see and with Deano's help in a few minutes we managed to get the glass on the window regulator and get the regulator bolted to the door. All I gotta do now is install the vent window , weatherstripping and drill a hole in the door panel and install it. No more blankety blank electric window. Manual crank! Its funny I installed a new regulator complete with cable and motor in my wifes Jeep Cherokee this spring. And It was a relatively easy job. A bigger door with larger access panels helped a lot.

62rebel likes this.
  22. Thanks for the offer, but I found the schematic on the GMC truck site. Now, I have to get out my coloured pencils, so I can trace the lines. Those drawings make my eyes cross.
    Bob

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sometimes the little fellers can help! Your story reminded my son and I some 35 years ago. My daily driver at the time had a V6 that scrapped a fiber timing gear. I pulled the cover off, removed the parts and tried to clean as much debris as I could. But I could see some still in the pan with a flash light that I couldn’t get to. My son, 6 at the time, volunteered to clean it for me! His little hand fit right down in the pan and cleaned it perfectly! He was so proud of himself, that he could do something his daddy couldn’t! He wore that smile for days!
    Never miss a chance to take the younguns to the shop with you!

Bones

24. Little Deano want to help. I got him to start a 1/4 inch bolt in the regulator while I held everything in place. After we got all four started I let him use a ratchet wrench and tighten them up. I have to tighten them a bit more. Then we went inside and we ate some candy bars.

25. Bones, i wish a speedy recovery, hope it gets as well as possible again.

Boneyard51 and Old wolf like this.
  26. I spent the day gravity bleeding brakes. Man, am I worn out. Anyone who has ever done this knows what a difficult task this is.....:rolleyes:

leon bee and swade41 like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just wrestled a 5 speed transmission out of a OT jeep with a seized pilot bearing. Man I need a beer.

Old wolf likes this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks 40two, I think I’ll recover. I didn’t loose the finger just chewed it up a bunch. How I cut the top of my finger on a table saw is beyond me! Take it from me guys! Be carefull out there, most of us aren’t as young and nimble as we once were!

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

4762DACC-88B6-42AF-A3EF-E01AD83F8540.jpeg
    Old Wolf , enjoy the times you have with your younguns. My son and grandkids are grown, don’t have any great grandkids yet...... probably be too old to show them anything and they probably wouldn’t care about anything that old anyway. We have some young men( kids to me) hanging around the racecar shop, I enjoy visiting with them.

Life is good!

Bones

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Truckdoctor Andy and Old wolf like this.
  30. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Good thing you were there to catch it. That could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange and Boneyard51 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.