Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 Cam Question?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31hotrodguy, Aug 27, 2019.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Because I have hot rod ADHD and I can’t focus on anyone thing for too plus I just heard that the TriFive nationals are coming to Bakersfield in May of 2020 it has inspired me to get my 327 finished for my black 57 210. I need help in the cam department an I’m kinda stuck between the Duntov 097 cam and the 30-30 347 cam that cam out a few years later????
    What sayith you all??? Should I just go for the bigger 30-30 cam or will the Duntov get the job done for a stocker?
    327, factory 11:1 TRW pistons
    461’s 2.02/1.60
    Stahl headers etc.
    I’m probably going to run my stealth intake for now but hopefully I’ll finally get my injector later in the year.
    Any suggestions from my HAMB friends???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Fordors

Fordors

I’d run the Duntov, it will make a better street cam. If you do go with the 30/30 look into how some guys lash them at .023 setting them cold on the base circle.

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  3. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

What rpm and springs?

4. redo32

redo32

I was looking thru Comp Cams on line the other day and they have a modern hydraulic cam called 30-30 that sounds like the old Chevy cam.

pitman and Taboo56Chevy like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having spent more Saturdays adjusting the lifters on the Engle solid lifter cam that was in the 327 in my 57 panel and the old Chevy 30-30 that I had in the 283 in my T bucket and then in my 48 I don't want to see a solid lifter cam unless it is in a race only engine.
    That may be just me and the two cams I happened to have but there are better ways to spend your Saturday morning than adjusting lifters on all too many of them.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

This is the way I've always done it..... Best to do on a 70° morning when the engine is cold.. I always shot for a .026" lash... By the time the engine warmed up at 180°, the lash would grow to .030" .... Perfict! ;)

31hotrodguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

A well setup solid lifter cam will not be an every weekend lifter adjustment . Use some quality name brand roller rockers and use good locks for adjusting . You should be able to go about twice a year on valve adjustment. Unless you are wringing the snot out of it every time you drive it.
    The old style stock rockers and nuts would require frequent adjustments.
    My 396-375 O/T Camaro was a monthly chore to adjust .It got driven daily and street raced every weekend. It was just a routine thing adjust the valves and check the points.
    Otherwise go with a hydraulic and just enjoy your car.

OLSKOOL32 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. I ran an L88 solid lifter cam in my stock car when it was a big block. I had the polylocks and ARP studs, we would adjust the lash every 3 or 4 races. The abuse it saw in a season was beyond what a street car would be subjected to in a year.

31hotrodguy, brigrat and Deuces like this.
  9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The rpm will somewhat depend on the cam but probably around 7000. For the track I have a 5:38 posi with aftermarket axles for race day. If I ran the 098 I was thinking I’d just run the factory Z28 springs. If the bigger cam I haven’t decided on springs yet.

Scooterlee2198 likes this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I saw that one too but this one has to be a solid cam.

11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Agreed but after recently having to adjust the lifters on a flathead for the first time I think I’ll never complain about adjusting lifters on my Chevy ever again! Lol

redo32 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  12. We turned 8 grand with the 098 cam with matching off road factory springs .

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

bowie and pitman like this.
  14. saltracer219

saltracer219

You won't be dissapointed with the 30-30. As has already been said, good valvetrain set up properly will make your life easier. I have had a Comp 282 solid cam that lashes at .022-.024 in my 425 hp 350 for over 20 years and I run it pretty hard. I check the lash once a year and rarely need to make any changes.

seb fontana, 31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  15. I am running the COMP 30-30H (hydraulic) in the 327 that's in my O/T 68 Camaro. Stock 2.02 heads with factory Z/28 valve springs, factory Z/28 intake and a Holley 650. I am also running 10.5:1 compression as I still have the original flat top pistons. Car sounds fantastic and the motor runs hard.

If you want to hear the cam i can send a message with a video link

31hotrodguy likes this.
  16. 34Phil

34Phil

17. SASROD

SASROD

Little bit OT question, but why do solid lift cams need periodic adjustment? Do valvetrain components wear, or just back the adjustment off. Seems like good locks would take care of it.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

IME the gap tightens as the engine warms up. Expansion of the metal components leads to decreased lash, not an increase.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Components wear, valves & seats wear (lash gets tighter); Rocker arms, pushrods, valve stem tips, lifter bases, on engines with rocker are shafts the bushings in the rocker arms, they all wear with use and the lash increases. Sometimes one cancels out the other. Too tight leads to burned valves; too loose leads to too much noise & more wear on parts that are slamming at very high rates of motion.

There is a lot of satisfaction from setting the valves and listening to the engine run when you get it right. Try it on a 19 liter Cummins, or a V12 Detroit. You can stand there and listen to it run for a long time, digging how good it sounds. When you get it wrong, it bugs the hell out of you, and you want to take it down and do it over to get it right.

20. I love solid lift cams.
    Also,,,, I never had any trouble with adjusting them all the time.
    Because, I didn’t have to,,,,,maybe go over them once a year,,,just to be sure.
    Maybe I was just lucky!

Tommy

saltracer219 likes this.
  21. I adjust mine hot with the engine running......that way I know they are set properly at 0.030 each (on a 327/375 HP motor). A bit of oil squirting, but no big deal with good rag placement. You may want to consider pinned or threaded studs.....I pinned mine...not issues for 30 years......6800+ RPM easily.

I have used lots of "097" cams and found the ".030-.030" cam to much better on the top end.....BUT, it doesn't come to life until about 3000 RPM......pretty doggy below that with a GM dual plane intake manifold.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Valve train components wear the adjustment
    Gets the lash correct. A hydraulic lifter will always adjust the lash automatically

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If people are honest they might say they keep the solid cam because of that little tick tick sound the lifters/rockers make, reminds them of their youth or something like that.
    I chose Rhoads lifters this time for the hot 350 in my 66 Suburban.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    427 sleeper, 31hotrodguy and Old wolf like this.
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Awesome article! Sadly now I’m even more undecided because they threw the LT1 cam in the mix!

seb fontana likes this.
  25. If you have a automatic go with the 097 cam. stick trans use the 30 -30 I adjust mine at .028 hot engine running. and not very often. Y block fords are all solid lifters and some run a lot of miles without needing adjusting with dry rocker arms LOL.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've found that the discussion on camshafts/lifters can be as volatile as politics and religion, best just to make suggestions and let the OP do his due diligence on camshaft selection. As that article states, many other components need to be matched to a given cam/environment.
    If this ultimately ends up being more of a street/torque car than a strip/rpm car, you should find that with the LT-1 spec cam, it wouldn't be a bad choice.
    I'm a bit out of the loop as to what the aftermarket offers nowadays for street cams but those "blueprint type" cams that have been popular with some of the musclecar restoration crowd may be a consideration.

27. Your durn right I like to hear the clatter of a solid lifter engine.

427 sleeper likes this.
  28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

What is this automatic you speak of???? The 57 has been a stick since the day it left the factory!

29. Fogger

Fogger

I run a 097 in my .030 over 283 in a '55 Delray. Flat top pistons, power pack heads, port matched Z28 intake, Edelbrock 500 cfm carburetor, Z28 valve springs, ARP rocker studs, full roller rocker arms, 30# flywheel and 3.08 rear gears. With a 3.26 first gear I really could use a 2.70 rear axle, but don't want to swap the rear axle. As others have said the 097 is a great street camshaft for a semi performance cruiser, very strong low rpm and will run up to 6,000 easily. The 30-30 is a high rpm shaft and not much happens until 3k. I get 18 to 20 mpg in my Chevy and only check the lash once a year. I believe that the '62 327s ran the 097 from the factory.

31hotrodguy and Fordors like this.
  30. If you’re running stamped rockers, the little spring steel clips they sell do a decent job of keeping most of the oil from squirting out onto the exhaust.
    Not sure if they fit or sell a different one for roller rockers?

As long as we’re doing opinions on what you should choose— I would look at a cam designed another half century later. H.A.M.B. police seem fine with it so just send Ryan a quick note and he’ll send you an exemption form to still be allowed to post here.

31hotrodguy likes this.