Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bless those street rodders hearts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Last night at the monthly cruise in the weather was abnormally cool for August and we arrived later than normal so I lucked up finding a parking place around back, I was parked close to a gentleman driving a 40 Ford sedan,I had never seen him in the past and we struck up a conversation.

He said he had just finished the car and it was a 10 year project, I ask him a few questions about the suspension and he told me it had a mustang II front suspension and everything you would associate with the run of the mill street rod, I then ask what did he did with the original parts, long story short I made a tenetive deal on a complete 40 Ford front suspension if it's all he says it is.

He claimed the previous owner was restoring the car and had installed new king pins, bearings,brake shoes and turned the drums, he offered it all to me for 100 bucks, those street rodders sure get rid of great parts. HRP

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great deal, should have the good anti roll rod that is worth what you paid for the whole deal. I've had a few good Street Rodder deals myself over the years. Bob

3. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Now you HAVE to build a 40 right!!! LOL

4. Never2low

Never2low

I remember the scene from an episode of "Rides" where Weesner and the Choppers were working on his T coupe.
    They talked about where they got the early Hemi.
    A Rod shop, where the cars owner was building a Street Rod, and the "all the old leftover junk" was out back of the shop.
    Then they touted the benefits of upgrading to new motors and suspensions, for reliability and comfortability, and that the owners should send all that worthless old junk to the Choppers, to be properly disposed of.:p:D

5. Great score !
    It’s funny as a lot of time the mustang 2 clip etc etc.
    Really does nothing from a performance stand point other then making the front end “modern”
    Driven in a few cars that have had this done and for the work involved in most cases the upgrade was marginal at best.
    Great score let us know what happens

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. I went through the 40 Ford phase and built several over the years

There is always a demand for 4o suspension parts. HRP

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

San Jose, 1983. My bud Lenny was getting married, he gave his beautiful Midnight blue '55 F100 to his younger brother. Truck had a '57 312, fresh build from 2 yrs. back, TRW pistons, Crane cam, Edelbrock intake, 3 Stromberg 94s, progressive linkage, T-Bird valve covers.
    Lenny said li'l bro had taken the truck to some 'street rod shop' to have it 'freshened up'.
    Rumor had it that the T-Bird was to be discarded for a 289, and a C4 trans.
    We drove to the 'street rod shop'...around back, there was the 312 sitting atop a PILE OF ENGINES and transmissions!
    Just 'dropped' there, carbs, valve covers and all!
    Lenny just laughed, "Seemed like gold when I put it together..."
    We got the street rodder to get his crane truck, and pick up the 312 and the FMX tranny. He carefully lowered it into the bed of MY F100...
    Lenny said he was glad to give it to me, wish I had a camera to take a pic of that detailed engine...on top of a pile of Chevy sixes, polys, and whatever else!
    Street rodder must have been there awhile, more than 30 engines I counted in that pile...

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Ask him if it really made a difference swapping those parts out , cause you know it didn’t .

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent! There is a shop around here that does this as well. Have bought several front ends complete with dropped axle,all new stuff and split bones ready to go for $100-150!! I sold a nice 40 sedan to a guy some yrs back.Stock running gear fresh with fresh 283 and adaptor. All new brakes etc. New Lebarron Bonney int--nice car. He took it to one of those shops and they did the whole street rod deal to it to the tune of $175K! They gave him $1000 credit for the whole fresh running gear, frame etc, etc!!! Basically a running chassis-radiator, column and all. Wish he had called me.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. pkhammer

pkhammer

A few years ago a gentleman called me and said he was street rodding a '39 Sedan and would I want all of the junk he was removing. It was a solid, nice running car. I came away with the flatty, trans, steering, axles, suspension, banjo wheel, gauges, brakes, wide whites and hubcaps for super cheap. He was happy to be rid of all the "junk". :D

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The37Kid and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Had a guy down the street from me had a 1940 Dodge business coupe. He told me he put a Monte Carlo front end under it and a 10 bolt rear end to street rod it. It sat in the backyard for ten or so years before he decided to sell it. Just after he let it go I was out walking the dog and he had thrown out all the stock parts for the scrap guys. I wheeled over with my truck and loaded up.

13. Sweet! I bought the dropped axle, Posies springs, and disk brake setup for my kids pu from a local street rod shop similarly. Old junk (all rebuilt) parts that they replaced with MII...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. It was the same type of situation with new-stock Harley take off parts when Dad and I were big into building our bikes. New stock take off parts were like gold for us poor fuckers. All the yuppies would get tired of the “junk” in the way of their golf clubs and BMW’s and sell it real cheap at the swap meets.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. vinfab

vinfab

My son attended a garage tour, that I couldn't make. At one of the shops he spotted a pile of tri five suspension pieces in the corner. Seems the owner was buying restored Nomads from the West coast and then removing all the freshly restored pieces and then installing tubular A frames, disc brakes and air bags. This was powder coated A frames, fresh ball joints, all new brakes, new coil springs and new rear springs, enough for 3 cars. My son inquired about the parts and was told, 200 bucks and get that junk out of here. It was enough for our 55,56, and 57!

16. upspirate

upspirate

Although not as cheap as some of your scores, I was at a SR shop I frequented back in the '80's and he had taken off all the "old junk" off a high dollar blown 34 to install a new frame, front and rear Heidt's IFS and IRS. I found out who the owner was and bought the Dropped,drilled I-beam axle,drilled split wish-bones,tie rod, drag link, spindles,calipers, rotors,drilled for Chevy. All chrome for $650. Rod shop was pissed owner sold to me and said his bill would be jacked up.....he's no longer in business

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

A decade ago I was at the mother in law’s and noticed an F-100 front axle sitting behind the neighbor’s garage. I went over to introduce myself and found he had installed an M-II front end in the truck. I hauled home the complete front suspension, brakes, and steering for pennies.

18. No doubt about it the old adage of, "one mans junk is another man's treasure" is definitely the Hamber's mantra. :D HRP

safetythird, '51 Norm and upspirate like this.
  19. I needed a drag link for my 1931 Dodge coupe. I found a take-off, restored one from a DeSoto from a guy on the H.A.M.B. for $20.00. We both scored that day. He has more room and I have the part. LOVE those take-off parts and the guys who save them for our restoration projects.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. gene-koning

gene-koning

Anybody want the take off frame from my 49 Dodge pickup? PM me! I need to get rid of this junk...Gene

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. mickeyc

mickeyc

Just today I was perusing some local adds. I saw an add and replied. Came away with a decent set of rear fenders for my 40 Ford coupe. A trunk lid as well, and will return tomorrow for a door that would not fit in my truck at the time. Still to be negotiated the price of
    the original stainless trim as well as the window garnish
    and a set of running boards. All these pieces came from a street rod coupe the owner is very proud of. Pastel
    colors and extra wide glass fenders and no door handles ect. He offered to show me how to eliminate
    my door handles. I thanked him and respectfully declined. I really did not absolutely need these parts at the moment, but did not want to pass on them at such
    reasonable prices. Any body need a right side coupe door?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I went to a blokes place to pick up all his "junk" he had turfed out of his 38 Chevy, I lost interest while I was loading up when he said he was "chucking out the blueflame and replacing it with a crate 350, 9" , ETC, ETC" (Chevy 6's are like hen's teeth here).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. xracer40

xracer40

Bless those street rodders hearts

For those of you not familiar with southern lingo this a polite way of saying, how stupid are street rodders!

24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

A buddy of mine at work's dad had updated his 1956 F-100 thirty years ago changing out the stock front axle to Volare/aspen set up. I got the stock front end drum to drum for ten bucks and a trailer full of steering columns and other stock parts for a hundred bucks.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I picked up a nice running 327 Chevy with a 4 speed transmission from a man that just had to have a new 502 crate engine and a overdrive transmission. I got it all for 3 hundred dollars.

ramblin dan, vinfab and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a complete '40 DROPPED axle take out with 'bone, tue rods, dropped arms, spindles w/ loaded brakes. Sold the brakes and drums so the axle was basically free.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. OK, I'm the idiot on the other side of the fence. Pulled the '40 rear end with Lincoln brakes so I could put in an 8" Maverick rear end. Pulled the lincoln front brakes so I could install discs. This was on my '34 coupe. Gave the scrap metal to a friend. 40 years ago and still kicking myself. He's probably still laughing.

ramblin dan likes this.
  28. LOL...I thought once you said “Bless their hearts”, you could say pretty much anything after that and it wasn’t supposed to be offensive. ;)

29. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Got my 1938 Ford front axle and wishbone from same...also the bench seat in my car...

30. xracer40

xracer40

Yea, it's good for wide variety of situations except for politics, then it's pretty much game on!