Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

20190816_190234 (2).jpg
    Even found you working. :D

Tickety Boo, Sancho, enloe and 2 others like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I was looking for the Snake all weekend. Couldn’t find it and didn’t remember the coupe was your father’s. Oh well, there’s always next year.

cactus1, Boneyard51, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resized_20190818_080247.jpeg
    Yep that was us. Sorry about that Cobra, there was no way I was bringing that crazy thing two years in a row not running. But Dad I had good time and the coupe was a well received "Switch-A-Roo" which I know Ryan normally hates.

20190818_081039.jpg

20190818_184743.jpg
    Hard to see but he did have little detour there on the second run. If you close you can almost read the Caledonia Kid graphic off the driver's side. He saved it but had to be towed off the track. When I got to the car on the big end he said it just got all wacky and now it will not shift at all. I took a quick look and it was obvious what had happened, the shifter linked, which runs very close to the exhaust was actually bent upwards and sitting on it.

He started it with the brakes on and sure enough it was jammed in reverse. We towed it back to the pit and managed to free it up and bend it somewhat back in place. That just about the time the called all staging lanes open for all classes. Dad hopped back in and we got one full 1/8 mile pass in before it started to rain yet again and for the FINAL TIME as far as the event was concerned.

As far as Dad's ride we had an issue loading the car with my M&H Slicks on it. They lowered the coupe a couple of inches and Dad took a few rounds out of the coil overs as well. In the process we caught the bottom of the car on the trailer door on the way in. We adjusted the trailer up and got it in with no issue. We tagged it again at the track as the trailer crank sunk a bit in the soft ground. We had to go way up this time but got the car unstuck and out cleanly. Dad said after the incident that the shifter did not feel right and was hard to shift.

On the run in question, he started with the two speed glide in low and then about 100' or out tried to slip it up into high. However it was jammed up so hard up against the exhaust that by the time he pushed hard enough to move it, it went straight into reverse...AND at that point was high enough to clear the top of the exhaust so it it just locked it right there.

chryslerfan55, Thor1, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Started in reverse?:eek:
    Sounds like a neutral safety switch is in your future.

enloe likes this.
  6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back at work on the Snake this weekend. Still hacking my way through the wiring. We are at the point now we need to install the intake for real. A job I have been procrastinating on dreading the necessary step of removing the 8 stack units. AND...I was correct...it was a pain in the back side.

20190825_084756.jpeg

Quite a bit easier if you have a daughter with a set of small hands to squeeze in there etc. I sure hope she remembers how this thing goes back together. LMAO!

20190825_090418.jpeg

Phasable rotor came in this week. This will certainly make things easier later on.

20190825_092342.jpeg

Small hands come in handy later on locking down the distributor.

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, saltflats, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well we tore the shop apart this morning searching for the bolts to install the intake. Finally came to the decision we never had any. At least that stopped the search anyway. We headed into to Springfield to get some and had our welding gas bottle filled again.

20190825_142310.jpeg

When we got back we made quick work setting the intake gaskets and dropping it in place.

20190825_142509.jpeg

I also snagged a set of long handled ball end hex keys. Which after a quick wack at the cut off saw made a very nice 8 stack installation tool. Lol

20190825_152924.jpeg

20190825_163041.jpeg

We removed the headers and this one got an O2 sensor bung installed.

20190825_174710.jpeg

Then we wrapped it. Going to haved to get some more wrap. That took about 70 feet! But it looks nice.

20190825_190930.jpeg

We ended the day by getting the header back on. We also installed the 1 1/8" valve cover spacers with some black RTV.

slv63, kidcampbell71, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

So does this mean there is going to be a vroom, vroom video soon?? ;);) Larry

9. VI Lonewolf

VI Lonewolf

Shouldn't the o2 bung be in the top side of the pipe to stop condensation in the sensor?

10. and usually a couple inches aft of the collector, must be a space issue under the car.

Deuced Up!, loudbang and enloe like this.
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes...and it is. Remember these headers are installed upside down from how they would normally be installed. So in that photo, you are actually looking at the top side etc. Good call though.

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sure as hell hope so. We are ready to pour the Penngrade Break In Oil in it, and the rear end and transmission are ready for lubricants. I have one last wiring issue to clear up with the FAST guys hopefully I can do that today. I did discover a total bone head move this weekend as we were measuring everything for fuel lines, we did not install the fuel level and sender unit in the cell when we did the pump install! I don't really know why a race car needs a fuel gauge, but I have sort of an expensive Holman Moody unit in the dash so....

I was working on the knockout list yesterday and besides the above issues all I have left is finish plumbing the rear brakes which is a no brainer, the lower radiator hose and correct alternator belt. So we are pretty darn close to pouring some high octane fuel in it and turning the key.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So when will the party start, maybe I can make a trip down for the big event. :)

Deuced Up!, loudbang, enloe and 2 others like this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe as early as Monday.

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually maybe we should put firing it off another week and try to have a little HAMB party. Like the following Saturday September 7th. I could fire up the BBQ and chill some cold ones...put Dad to work cooking?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  16. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

James , Have one of Randall's beers for me too! lol Larry

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What's your address?
    I like my T-bone medium.:D

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Count me in!

Bones

19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'll drive anywhere for steaks & hot rods!
    Pittsburgh Rare

20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright boys, it is on. Cobra birthing BBQ Bash...Bowman's house Saturday September 7th around lunch time or so! Shoot me a PM rsvp and I will shoot you the address etc. Good fun, food and hot rod fellowship! LMAO! Maybe I should order a stripper just incase it won't start! LOL

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The reason the race car needs a fuel gauge is to prevent the embarrassment of running out of fuel as you are pulling up for your burn out. Seen it happen and it ain't pretty.:rolleyes:

22. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Order the stripper anyhow. Girls just want to have fun too.

Good luck to you, kind of sad to see this thread nearing a conclusion. You tired me out just watching and reading.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    loudbang, Deuced Up!, enloe and 2 others like this.
  23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yep happened to me last fri night at test and tune but at least I was just in the staging lanes lol filled it up with fuel then ran the fastest pass so far lol

24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well here is what it took to plumb the beast. I am not sure but I think it all came out to somewhere around $150 per pound. LMAO! But that is everything from the fuel cell forward, once around the 8 stack units and back. Includes an extra inline filter for good measure, a one-way valve for the vent line and about 20' of the aeroquip fuel line.
    Cobra Fuel.jpg
    The cool part is my parts guy is going to send his little push on hose installing unit home with me this weekend so I can build all the lines myself and make sure they look and fit perfect!

Sancho, loudbang, Boneyard51 and 4 others like this.
  25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yeah without that tool it’s a real pain to get them together correctly

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Takes a GI Joe with a kung fu grip. :D

loudbang, Boneyard51 and enloe like this.
  27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was not happy with the Blue Streak starter solenoid (actual old stock Standard Blue Streak) not the new renamed stuff. Lol

Anyway...even with the wires dressed up a bit I still did not liked the look. It was busy and unfinished etc. etc.

20190827_191953.jpeg

I tried several bits and pieces from the old used part bin but simply could not find a cover for it. Until I pulled out the original speedometer from the Austin (I never throw anything away).

The cup was small but just about the perfect circumference. It was also dead nuts perfect deep. After cutting it for the wires and test fitting, I cut an aluminum disk to install on the end to cover several holes.

20190827_201825.jpeg

I cut me an school Cobra logo for it today. And check this out...

20190827_201900.jpeg

It is black reflective.

20190827_201736.jpeg

To finish it off I installed the MSD high voltage tag on it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Wraith, chryslerfan55, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  28. You are killing it with the little details!

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speaking of little details check this out. So I ordered me one of the AC Cars VIN tags from a Cobra place. However I promptly destroyed it with handy dandy Harbor Freight stamp kit. So anyway, I decided last night instead of ordering another one, how about just make it (since that is certainly in my wheelhouse). While I was at it, I also did a Holman Moody dash tag based off what I could find photos of online.
    holmanmoodyTAG.jpg
    I went ahead and just printed the numbers on them but gave the text an engraved look. I was really happy with the art...but check out the final results printed on polished .040 aluminum!

Resized_20190829_095146.jpeg

30. hoop

hoop

Those look great! Nice work.