Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone had good luck with Portawalls?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Aug 19, 2019.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I bought a set for my early 50's style '27T(on the left) which has bias ply's on it. I had the local Tire Barn mount the tires. They used soap as they usually do and it caused the port-a-walls to slip out from under the rim bead making them impossible to mount. So I left them off for now hoping that later I can use a bead breaker to open up the bead just enough to clean out the soap and try again. I've even considered using something like 3M weathestrip adhesive. I like the rubber hammer idea. I was to young during the early 50's to know what they were doing to install them.

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Around 1967, I bought a 56 Chevrolet 210 Del Ray from an Airman at Paine Field AFB in Everett, Wa. I was cleaning the car up, and sorting through stuff in the trunk. In the trunk was a cellophane and cardboard package containing 4 brand new Port-O-Walls; I tossed them right into the garbage can. A week later, the car had 4 new Goodyear blackwalls on it.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a kid in 1959, I had a job at the local supermarket, carrying out groceries. One day they hired a new guy who had a pretty nice '51 Merc. It had porta-walls on it that were attached to beauty rings, not between the tire and wheel. They looked good. I have never seen another pair either before or since then.

BTW, for you OLD twin cities guys, the guy's uncle was Woody Harrier, "The Seat Cover King". He might have had an inside track on things like this.

4. ratrod0

ratrod0

They will be fine, dont get 3". 2 1/2 are smaller hair spray will work go slow and keep them even

5. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I have just taken mine off for the very same reason, they rubbed away at the sidewalls of the tyres, I wasted money on 2 x sets of portwalls, as one set tore on the bead, learned my lesson the hard way,
    If you want the look dig deep , its the only way to go

BigO likes this.
  6. Thanks for the info.

7. Thanks for letting me know, I drive mine everyday.

8. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I drive mine everyday also, if it was just for the odd local show , I could get away with them but I do some distance driving to shows on the motorways towing a travel trailer which is challenging enough without the threat of a blowout , I did about 5000 miles on mine and they ruined the new tyres , other option if your tyres are good is to have them striped but that depends on the look you want

BigO likes this.
  9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

They look funny when they come off and roll down the road.. I like just plain old black..

BigO likes this.