Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting REALLY frustrated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tin_indians, Aug 21, 2019.

1. tin_indians

tin_indians

Back story...
    Got a 1954 Pontiac Chieftain Hearse, original straight 8 is dead, removed it and want to swap in a SBC. Does ANYONE make a motor mount kit for PONTIACS?? I've had 3 customizer guys not want to take on the job of custom fab-ing motor mounts for one reason or another.
    I have no place to work on this car as I'm in a carport in a condo that forbids working on cars.
    I have found websites that offer mounts for '54 chevies but not Ponchos.

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I know of none. Sounds like a cool ride but it does take some work to swap anything else into a Pontiac.

3. Maybe they don't want to work on it because it's a hearse? Too bad you're not in southeast Sask I'd take that on. I'll be opening my shop soon and am going to try to focus on this type of stuff.

Baumi likes this.
  4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I think you need to find a fabactor not a customizer, a good hot rod shop should not have any trouble knocking out some mounts. But you need to find a place to work on the car, lots to do after the motor is in

brad2v likes this.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am not familiar with that year Pontiac, but I would look at a universal crossmember, one that has mounts on it.

6. Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    tin_indians likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Your engine is dead? What would you expect in a hearse? LOL

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    King ford, ekimneirbo, WB69 and 4 others like this.
  8. tin_indians

tin_indians

9. tin_indians

tin_indians

Totally agree Bill. My car is in a carport with two others parked behind it so anyone watching will have a tough time seeing me leaning under the hood. Just getting the engine/trans in will save me a lot of heartache. Still have to mount in the new aluminum rad, electric puller fan, plumb in new tranny lines, new gas pedal and cable to work with the v8 4 bbl, bolt in the starter, prime the oiling system, install the distributor, the car will then get trailered to the exhaust shop for the dual exhaust, then to another shop to get it all wired to start, run and charge. (me and electricity are the worst of enemies) Did I forget anything?

10. Friends with a garage/shop willing to help so you don't anger the condo police.

11. 66gmc

66gmc

Sounds like you might be better off taking the car to a hotrod shop that does start to finish builds, that way you can get your engine mounts, exhaust and wiring done all in one place. Speaking from experience, most shops dont like picking up where someone else left off, it just ends up costing the customer more money. Plus on a custom engine install its a good idea to test fit/install the distributor, headers, starter, rad, fans, ect to check clearances before finishing the engine mounts.

12. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

13. ...I'd have to move out of that condo....

Baumi likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Can't imagine trying to do this living at a condo without running afoul with the condo police. On a positive note, since it is the American and not the Canadian Pontiac, you have an open driveline.

15. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Totally agree with everyone about finding a hot rod fabrication shop. How about finding a later model Pontiac donor car and using the engine/trans/driveshaft (lengthened, of course)/rear end as well as anything else you can adapt like front disc brakes, steering, maybe even front sub frame and A/C etc. That would keep it all Pontiac. We have several hearses and they're totally cool. "Don't let your last ride in a hearse be your first."

16. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I have used universal mount kits from both Speedway and Chassis Engineering which being a "fit all" take a bit of tweaking but get you there. On all my custom fit orphan jobs I use the Ford flathead biscuit mount and just fab a frame mount (angle iron) and an engine mount bracket. Picture is of a straight eight Buick which had the "rocky" front engine plate mount and now has the spread and stable biscuit mounts. Mount directly under alternator.

Straight 8 a-c mount 001.jpg Straight 8 a-c mount 002.jpg

Deuces and firstinsteele like this.
  17. tin_indians

tin_indians

18. Congratulations and thanks for updating your thread.

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Now that it's running you'll have to take a cruise and meet up with Neil Young. He used a big old Buick hearse to haul his band stuff around in. I may be mistaken but I believe he drove from Ontario down to LA where he met Steven Stills while driving it. And he did write a song about it though right now I can't recall the name of it. So you should take that road trip as it could change your life!

20. tin_indians

tin_indians

I just drove it from western Canada (Alberta) to eastern Canada (Ontario) in 3 1/2 days. 3484 km. on a 66 year old seat made with a plywood base. I sure as hell ain't driving back out west to meet some environmentalist goof no matter how popular his music career was lmao.

Stllrng., kadillackid and Jermo like this.