Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Ultimate T-5 Article

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 40desoto

40desoto

Make sure your shifter will clear your bench seat. To avoid this issue Im going with an 1984 T5 on my ‘40

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. borntowrench

borntowrench

I recently scored a T5 out of a 88 V8 Trans Am. The tag number ends in 175. The decoder says its from an F body but also says "B9 racing". Does anyone know what difference, if any, this has from a regular WC V8 trans? TIA

loudbang likes this.
  3. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

My guess is that it is a typo, and should read LB9, for the 5.0 TPI engine available in those cars during those years. Not sure where the racing comes from. If you look at the info from this link, you will see a bunch of listings with LB9 on them: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm

loudbang likes this.
  4. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

Ernie,
    I have a s10 t-5 with electric speedo, 1 inch,14 spline input, it came with chevy bell housing, small block fly wheel, clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I'm told it was taken out of a sbc powered hot rod and replaced with a th350.
    I do plan to put it behind a mild ~250 horse sbc.
    I'm curious as why you would not put one behind a sbc?
    Regards, Vic

loudbang likes this.
  5. fatabone

fatabone

An S-10 transmission first gear is worthless behind a smallbock Chevy... Put one in a 32 Ford for a friend and you go about two feet before needing to shift... Put the Camaro trans with the S-10 tailshaft and its good to go... I have found another swap is a NV3500 from Chevy pickup puts the shifter where you want it and gearing is right along with no need to interchange transmissions like the S-10 Camaro swap

David Gersic, irishsteve and loudbang like this.
  6. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

That made me laugh

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  7. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Ernie Did you get any farther on your Jeep 4x4 t5 to ford TT conversion? I think that the additional 5" would help a lot over the s10 4x4. Can the tail section from the Jeep be swapped to the s10 t5 (2x4)?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Hi, I'm also interested in if you did the Jeep conversion. I've got a 34' Tudor and would like to retain the torque tube.

9. I'm trying to find information regarding Crazydaddyo's conversion kit to swap an S-10 4x4 T-5 into a Model-A
    Can someone help?

10. Hi, I tried Facebook, but could not find any information. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bad-Donkee-Hot-Rods/535010699849622?ref=hl&ref_type=bookmark

11. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

Thanks for a the great info!

gonzo likes this.
  12. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Ok, I do not want to sound like a know it all as I don't. But one thing I know very well having been building them for the last 20 years is the T5 transmissions. I just want to clear up some confusion that seems to come up a few times in this thread. GM V6 camaro and firebird from 88-92 were in fact World class transmissions just like the V8's but did not have the V8 gear set, And 1993 S10's did in fact have a world class t5 with the GM Muncie style pattern. However it had to be the V6 2.8 S10. The 1993 4cylinders had the ford type pattern. I know Ernie has said he thinks 1993 was a transition year for the S10 T5's but where the differences are is from 4cylinder and V6 engines, that is what determines which bolt pattern they were. 4cylinder s10's were 1993-95 ford style pattern WC t5's and 1993 V6 S10's with the Muncie pattern were one year only.

David Gersic, LAROKE, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not what GM record show.

David Gersic likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps not, I don’t know what records you are referencing. But I happen to have one each of 1993 4 cylinder and 2.8 V6 S-10 WC T5 transmissions and their respective bolt patterns are Ford and GM.

The 1352-xxx numbers of each match the BW model application list published in ‘British V8.org’ website and the comments of @hotrodlane in his post above.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    j-jock, hotrodlane and loudbang like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only the 1993 on information in that person's post was correct.

The part about WC T5s behind 60° V6s is not.

The Astro Safari 4.3 had a T5, in rare instance, but that was NWC.

The 2.2l 4-cylinder in the S10 got the WC T5.

I am talking about the GM records that I am looking at, through my GM issued laptop, as a GM employee.

I don't need a website to verify company records.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My response clearly states the two T5s I referenced are WC units and what their applications were according to their model ID #s. If there is a discrepancy as to the original application of the Chevy pattern trans that does not negate it being a WC/Chevy pattern.

They both have the concave surface on the front cluster bearing common to WC vs flat surface plug on NWC. I also have a third T5, a Mustang 5.0 WC, which has the cluster bearing concave plug surface and of course is Ford pattern as would appropriate.

Though not a current project, I have considered swapping the complete Mustang gear set to the Chevy pattern case to take advantage of the more desirable ratio spread in a more useful case pattern and shifter location for a planned project.

Ray

loudbang likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not in GM records. I can put anything on a website. It does not make it true.

Listen, I am not here to argue with you.

I have the facts, you have faith.

I know I won't change your mind, but my information is from the manufacturer, and it is correct.

Enjoy the remainder of your day.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13-52-197 Transmission, 5-Speed, overdrive.
    RPO Code: N/A, field service replacement part.

That is straight from the digital scan of the microfilm photograph of the shipping manifest

The associated memo indicates that these were to be used as replacements, on complaints of noise, difficulty shifting, or failure.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

arguing and name calling on a message board on the internet? real "grown up" fellas..... I am locking this

KiWinUS, egads, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  20. Kinda humorous! Agree with you, though.

Ben

Deuces likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.