Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SOLD! What to charge for engine and transmission?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordRoadster, Aug 20, 2019.

1. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Hey folks,
    I’m upgrading my motor and transmission in my 32 ford roadster and looking to sell current engine/trans and wondering what I might be able to get for them. Engine and transmission run well with absolutely no issues, starts up right away, great condition. I have looked online and called salvage yards, but can’t really compare apples to apples as most of what I see either needs to be rebuilt or has other problems.
    Info:
    Engine- ford 302 crate engine bought in 2001, 91 HO block, 16k miles, includes edelbrock 1406 carb, duraspark distributor with module, and ford racing value covers. Probably around 200-225 hp. Would not include alternator, brackets or air filter. Has a ford intake manifold from mid eighties. Engine runs strong, just looking for more power. Would it be better to part out carb and valve covers or sell together?

1966 ford c4 transmission. Rebuilt 4-5 years ago and probably has less than 5,000 miles. Would include the bell housing, flywheel and torque converter (new when trans was rebuilt). Again, runs well with no issues, just want to upgrade along with new engine. Could I get more by selling bell housing, flywheel and torque converter separately?

Trying to figure out what to ask, individual or for combo, and what a fair price would be. If anyone has experience here, thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Start at 1000, go down as needed to sell it. Be sure to leave it all in the car and driveable until you have a cash deposit, it's worth more to most guys if they can see it driving.

3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I would base the selling price on: 1. How much I have in it?, 2. How much have I use it?, and 3. How much can I afford to lose?

4. alchemy

alchemy

I'd think all the parts together (whole engine, whole transmission) would sell for more.

62rebel, porknbeaner and Hnstray like this.

5. Spread the word among car friends, you may get your $$ plus they'll help you take the car apart.

6. This is an antiquated way:
    Engines were a dollar per cubic inch,
    Used dirt bikes were a dollar per cc. Seems like good running small block anythings no longer grow on trees. $500 for a decent one is fair.
    This morning I paid 500 to the local junkyard for a 25 year old ZF granny gear 5 speed. Glad to find it. Yours has to be worth at least that much.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Put your location and maybe some local hamber might see it. List it here and on Craigslist. Above all be honest and you might find a new hot rod buddy.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Heck , I might buy it if your close :)

9. redo32

redo32

Just curious, what are you planning to put in the '32?

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

When all is said and done, it's worth what you can get for it.

lonejacklarry likes this.
  11. 800 to a grand is a good price for something used. I would sell it as a unit.

There are engine combos that go higher but a used crate motor is just that a used crate motor

Automotive Stud and FordRoadster like this.
  12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I gave $600 for a fresh, 1990, professionally rebuilt roller 5.0 long block a year ago. Multi angle valve job, new springs and rebuilt lifters. New timing set too. He sold his project and had no use for it.

A few weeks later I bought a fresh (less than 500 miles) C4 that leaked around the shift select shaft. Gave $150 for it. Got the flex plate, block plate, torque converter and tranny.

I opened up the 5.0 and swapped in an E-303 cam and older style Comp timing set and timing cover. Everything inside is new except the crank, rods and valves.

Had a friend that builds trannys open up the C4 and check it out. Replaced the seal on the shift selector shaft and everything else was fine and looked new.

Had to buy a 50oz imbalance flex plate for the small diameter C4 to work with the newer engine and went with a new torque converter that I wanted.

$750 for the engine and trans, was pretty happy with that price and it gave me a good base to add my parts to.

SPark

FordRoadster and Hnstray like this.
  13. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Im looking for that exact combo for a new project I have - let me know where you're located

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Mimilan

Mimilan

Why sell it? It is the devil you know !
    Just add a set of "Exploder" GT40P heads to it ,and a decent hydraulic roller cam

Here is some food for thought
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/make-503hp-with-a-350-junkyard-302/

If it was my engine, I would leave it absolutely stock [being more user friendly, and daily driver capable] BUT add a nitrous system for the occasional display of power.

The $$$ spent on nitrous is nothing compared to $$$ spent on go-fast-mods

FordRoadster and Boryca like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right there is the good answer, a guy is going to be a lot more willing to fork over a few extra bucks if he can actually ride in the rig it is being pulled from rather than just seeing it sitting on a cart in the garage. There might even be some bragging rights in that it "came out of FordRoadster's hot rod. Still I'd want a big enough deposit if not the whole price to seal the deal. Then get it out and ready to go in a timely manner.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. ...if that thing is that good, I wouldn't even consider changing it...

17. I agree with this.... Why change out that 302 should propel that deuce very well...

Unless your buddy's have something bigger and you cant keep up and you just want to fit in with the group.

But to answer your question... $1200-1500 for the package.

One can come down in price but hard to go up if your to cheap.

also how fast do you want to sell it. Or save it for another project down the road...

FordRoadster likes this.
  18. chargin03

chargin03

Keep it !

FordRoadster likes this.
  19. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

Before we began the engine swap in my dad's 55 210 he decided to try to sell the 327 and M21. He went several weeks without a bite on it. When a couple came to look at the engine and transmission it was still in the car so he took them for a ride. On the way back he roasted the tires off the car and ran it out through a couple gears. He said they were both smiling ear to ear and offered the full asking price when they got back to the shop.

20. ahshoe

ahshoe

Location Please?

Hnstray likes this.
  21. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Thank you

22. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Thanks

23. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

NC
    NC

24. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes, the engine is fine for the car. Yes I can smoke the tires. But I am putting in something else a bit bigger and more powerful. Located in North Carolina. I may put it up for sale here as well as local craigslist. Good idea to keep it in the car for now. Will also try to take more pictures and shoot a video.

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wise to keep it in car so they can see/hear it run etc. Bought a fresh 70 350 that these guys had built by a guy here who builds great engines. They brought it back saying something was wrong with it. Turns out the grandson wanted more power so he built them a stout 454. I bought it for $800 complete with 1100 miles on it.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Hi All,
    Wanted to give an update that I listed the motor and transmission for sale yesterday here and on a local craigslist, and I sold it today. Thanks to everyone for their insight, I really appreciate it!

chevy57dude likes this.
  27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does this mean that you're buying the beer for everyone who gave you good advice?;)

FordRoadster likes this.
  28. evintho

evintho

Everyone wants to know...………….how much did you get?

29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Had it listed at $1300.00 . Sooooo?

30. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Sold for asking price. Dad and son bought it to put in a project car. Great people and glad it’s going to a good home.

squirrel likes this.