Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Holley "Air Gap" :D:D:D

Attached Files:

2. Piewagn

Piewagn

This is my Poppy! The man that inspired my work ethic and my direction in life. He was my hero, my mentor. Without him, I would not be who I am today. He inspired this build from my childhood with trips to Vargo Drag-O-Way when I was 7-8 years old. I remember it being a major disappointment when it closed. This build is dedicated to him....may God rest his soul. Love you Pop!

Attached Files:

3. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes....THE original hoodlum that started it all! I wish he could be here to share this with!!

Attached Files:

baspinall, Lil'Alb, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

[​IMG]
    I got the band back together!! I bought this welder in 1987 and welded MILES with it! It’s gotten me out of more than one jam. About 3 years ago it took a crap and I went out and bought a cheapy Lincoln with switch feed control. After doing some research, I found out the Snap On is made by Century and was able to source the circuit board I needed! So, I’ve got my old friend back to finish this project and I’m psyched!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Piewagn

Piewagn

[​IMG]
    Yeah.... I know I can get new corners, but I’m on a budget! And since I got my old welder working again it’s like butta I tell ya! I picked up 2 front wide 5 drums today and the pitman arm I needed thanks to Matt at Irontrap....the dude was clutch! Now I have all the basics for my wide 5’s and juice brakes.....it’s goin’ slow, but it’s goin’!

6. Piewagn

Piewagn

[​IMG]
    Don’t have a slide knocker here at home, so I’m using the vice grip and hammer method.....all these little dings up along this body line. This seems to be the trick!

Tim, Nailhead A-V8, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  7. Piewagn

Piewagn

[​IMG]
    Same spot....this was knocked in pretty good to the point I wasn’t sure I’d get a decent line back....pretty good ay??

Tim, catdad49, Early Ironman and 3 others like this.
  8. Piewagn

Piewagn

[​IMG]
    Well, I picked up 2 radiators from fellow HAMBers not knowing condition. Took both to the radiator shop ( seems like the only one left in the country ) and they were able to repair both. He said small leaks, the one on the left needed lower bungs installed. Now to decide which one I’m gonna use, I’m leaning toward the one on the left. It has the nice big tank, it’s been shortened and has the offset filler neck. Whaddya think??

9. I’d like to think it’s cool.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Either way ya look at it.....:D:D

chryslerfan55, norms30a and loudbang like this.
  11. Piewagn

Piewagn

[​IMG]
    I feel like I actually got something accomplished today! I have the rear spring at home and this front end will be mostly for engine mock up. There’s a ton of cleaning to do after I get this engine located and mounts welded in....

12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Since the big stuff is at work, I’ve been putzin’ around with some of the smaller stuff at home. Picked up a set of wide 5 caps with the wheels. Some are a little sketchy so I start some work on them....thought it came out pretty good! Of course I’ll prep and finish it up for painting, but I thought that stainless was surely finished! It’s presentable now for someone on a budget..... IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1237.JPG IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1240.JPG

13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Tim, kiwijeff, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Nowhere near done, still have to heat and shrink it, it’s coming out better than I thought.....callin’ it quits for the day IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1244.JPG

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nice project

Piewagn likes this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks! I’m waiting on some more parts to come in....once they do I’ll be able to start mocking the engine and trans up for installation. I went into it knowing initially there would be some delays.....

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Piewagn

Piewagn

It’s been like Christmas with boxes of goodies to open!! Wheel cylinders, shackles, U bolts, retainers etc! I need one more goodie to start thrashing! IMG_1248.JPG

Tim, Nailhead A-V8, kiwijeff and 8 others like this.
  18. Piewagn

Piewagn

Still not finished.....was goofin’ with it at break today....it’ll be presentable when I’m done and it’s buffed out with compound.... IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1249.JPG

19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Its time to start rippin’ on gettin the engine in and mounted....more goodies came today!! IMG_1250.JPG

Tim, Nailhead A-V8, brEad and 3 others like this.
  20. Congratulations on starting your new build. I am looking forward to seeing the progress.
    Bob

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Bob!! Some of the key pieces arrived today! It's time to start fabricating the X member and load this flatty up!!

22. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

You actually have a '53 > F100 steering box there. The '48-'52 F1 boxes have a tapered spline with a large thread/nut on the end to secure the pitman arm, most early Ford sedan pitman arms will fit too. The F100 boxes have a partial parallel spline and the pitman arm has a clinch bolt to secure it. There are several different F100 arm types available with either a ball end or a tapered hole to take a conventional tie rod end.
    Either box will work but the F1 box is a common preference.
    Great build, have fun with it.

23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks! I've got the ball end pitman arm. I got this box cheap and I was looking for a column shift and this popped up, so I grabbed it. I'll make it work, that's all part of the fun right? :D:D

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

If you're using the original A chassis check that the F100 box mounting flange will fit inside the channel profile. I believe that they are larger than the F1 box flange. Search on here for F1 & F100 box installation mods for A models.

25. Piewagn

Piewagn

I will do that...Thank you!

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

The makings of a Hot Rod, well done Piewagon

loudbang likes this.
  27. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir! I’m ready to start rumbling with this thing!

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

It’s presentable now I think....of course I’ll be painting the the steel portion.... IMG_1257.JPG

29. Piewagn

Piewagn

I have to move these captured nuts in about 3/8” on both sides....I didn’t know there were different widths! I’ve got the spot weld milled out and I’m gonna mill out material to get to necessary locations and weld them back in...no biggie, just a hurdle on your way to the finish line. IMG_1260.JPG

30. Piewagn

Piewagn

Roughed in. After I finish the othe side I’ll worry about the finish and of course once the frame is all mocked up I’ll be painting it black...lots more to come! IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1261.JPG IMG_1262.JPG