Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical leaf spring mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badvolvo, Aug 19, 2019.

1. badvolvo

badvolvo

So it appears I have mounted the leaf spring perches a little to close together. I used some pretty short leaf springs on the front of my 40 Chevy. It has a BBC. The springs were set up using some math I found on the internet as the supplier did not specify .
    The problem is now that the engine & trans are in place, the shackles (on the rear of the front leaf springs) are almost parallel to the frame, its going to bottom out on the first bump.
    The springs still have a fair curve to them and don't appear to be overloaded, I believe I spaced the mounts to close together.
    So I am faced with a few options:
    1) Re-arch the springs, since they still have a nice curve, and are new, don't really want to do this.
    2) Move the mounts back, frame is painted and it's not black, prefer not too.
    3) Longer shackles, these are very short, 2" to maybe 2 1/2".
    Question is, do yall think I can get by with longer shackles? 40.jpg

2. redo32

redo32

A picture of the axle would help.

3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The best solution might be to have the main leaf shortened or have a new shorter main leaf made.

Budget36 likes this.
  4. badvolvo

badvolvo

Sorry no photo of it today. 50’s gm pickup axle. I will get one tonight. Looked good with the mock up engine, but she’s been gaining weight.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Move the mounts to the correct geometrical position.

It's the right thing to do.

6. badvolvo

badvolvo

yep, your right. I've been thinking about it for a couple hours now, chop, grind, weld, paint.