Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2019 Banger Thread Hot August Nights***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 1, 2019.

1. I can look tomorrow night. I think I have a winfield parts list somewhere.

2. Yes, and they don't fit like you would think.
    An A fits only an A.
    A B fits AA and the B.
    A C fits BB and C.

3. walls

walls

Ahh, of course.

Are they marked? Or best to measure?
    I have a straight one, but looking for a 90 degree
    Mine (size B) is marked S-41-BF

4. I recently bought the dual carb setup from JT1930 that he had for sale on here and to say the least UPS managed to damage one carb. They have been about useless and will not cover the damage even though there was insurance. However JT1930 sent me another carb without hesitation. Even though this was not his fault he went above and beyond to make things right. He is an outstanding guy and I just wanted everyone on The H.A.M.B. to know. Thanks JT1930. Here is a video of the carbs in action.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dannerr, Old Dawg, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  5. They are marked, should be S-41-B to replace yours.

6. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

That thing sounds very very nice!

7. JT1930

JT1930

@Garagekulture13 awesome !!!!!!! Snappy too. And thank you for the kind works. Least I could do is a crappy situation.

Did you bolt it on and run it or mess with some tuning?

8. Other than lower the idle a smidge I just bolted it on.

Dannerr and JT1930 like this.
  9. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Anyone going to Bonneville love to see some coverage of any of the bangers that are running. Everyone bang shift they have a nice article about a Model T with a Cragar engine with a 471 blower on it very neat

10. G Baese

G Baese

Some More Winfield, Model SR Installation and Adjustment.pdf

Attached Files:

winduptoy likes this.
  11. Dusty,
    Bonneville was not cooperating this year for SpeedWeek.
    Rain the week prior damaged the courses and did not dry sufficiently to really race on.
    The racing was delayed until Tuesday, instead of starting Saturday and then only one course. This was 4 miles long, best salt with out to six to shut down and stop. the rookie course was 1 mile with a speed trap at the end.
    I was there with a couple Bangers, I did see Steve Lautug's tank but never heard anything.
    Madole ran the coupe on the rookie course to test the salt, too heavy and slick.
    Tomason ran the Old Lickety Split coupe with a supercharged flathead, lost a cylinder then disappeared from the salt.
    Creel ran his coupe on the long course, again heavy salt and rough. Cree lined up at 6 am on Tuesday and finally ran noon on Wednesday, yeah dedication.
    I took my car to inspection and put it back in the trailer, not worth making a pass in the slush.

Already making plans for next attempt, John

12. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Thanks for a report. Had not heard about the condition of the tracks. Always wanted to go , but look forward hearing from people that do .

13. So I got to make a test run with the dual updrafts this morning and it is official that I quickly out run my gearing. The car runs great with no hesitations or dead spots to be noted. I have a Mitchell overdrive on order right now. My question is is it a good option for top end? They say a drop of 500 rpms is to be expected. I understand the dangers of running higher speeds in a stock Model A. I'm not trying to run 70 but rather 55ish and not be wound out. I see there are other transmission options but all seem to need a homemade adapter and those who were making them are no longer.

Dannerr likes this.
  14. walls

walls

With a 31” rear tire, 3.78 gears, at 55 you should be around 2250 rpms
    Get some 16” wheels if you don’t have them already, should lose about 150rpm vs stock tires.
    I don’t know about Mitchells, but you should be cruising around 60-65 with no problem, I’d guess

15. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I've got 7.50-16 (31") on mine, it'll easily run 55 all day long. And 63mph feels that way too, but I don't run it long distance like that.
    If I remember right the 25%Mitchell is like 700 rpm drop. So 2200 rpm= about 66mph (with a 30" tire)

16. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I'm happy to hear about your experience with your dual updraft project. It's been awhile since someone's reported on those. I would like to do that on a future speedster project.

17. railcarmover

railcarmover

Hopped up with a mitchell,about double the power of a stock one,3.78 rear,26% mitchell. Mitchell in OD runs the ratio down to 2.90 or so.Engine pulls it in high range no problem,but I like low first,low second then high second and high,gives you 5 to 50 mph in one synchro shift,low and high second..haven't topped it out yet,the neighborhood is too small :)..

Old friend once told me two updrafts better than one,one down draft better than two updrafts.

thumbnail - 2019-07-24T061326.019.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Dannerr, rwrj, tomkelly88 and 2 others like this.
  18. Got my dropped-arm spindles and dropped tie rod ends mocked up last night. Now I have two-fingers clearance between the tie rod and the wishbone..That should be just right!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dannerr and Jet96 like this.
  19. Well, its sounds like I'm on the right track. Thanks everyone.

20. brjnelson

brjnelson

Steve Lubtug did run one time and was 1.43 miles under the record for his class ON his first run with his new engine.

winduptoy, Binger and Jet96 like this.
  21. JT1930

JT1930

I have 17" wheels with a 650 out back. Stock trans I hit about 55ish but it was also screaming Haha.

Mac's speed makes a bell housing to bolt up a f150 trans or you could use a AA bell housing to do it also. Search f150 trans in model a on Google. Ton of info. I do 70 now with the f150 trans.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Dannerr likes this.
  22. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I have a Mitchell in the classifieds if anyone is looking...

23. Why did you decide not to run it?

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

@brjnelson and @Jet96 are you two guys coming to the Hill Climb? I know @winduptoy is Planning on it. We aren't too many days from it and I am getting excited. Also @Jet96 there may be a guy in Cheyenne who may be interested in the Mitchell I will let him know you have one.

Jet96 likes this.
  25. railcarmover

railcarmover

The wishbone and tie rod travel together,that clearance doesn't change..stock model a is 1/2 inch above the wishbone,that gap isn't critical.

26. 97

It is, if it hangs too low and hits something on the road!!!!!

Jet96 likes this.
  27. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

been driving this beater on short trips trying to get dialed for Hill climb next month.Lower end gots some knocking going on looks like I will adjusting some bearing clearances to make it work.Planned on switchin the banger for a Plymouth straight 6 over the winter so I just need it to stay together for a few weeks. 28.jpg

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Saw this gurgling around Pebble Beach last week. Anybody on here? I also got some good shots of banger-powered stuff at Laguna Seca on the other camera that I'll try to share shortly.

IMG_20190813_141705.jpg

Attached Files:

Dannerr, barrnone50 and Jet96 like this.
  29. brjnelson

brjnelson

Yes I plan on riding shotgun with Burl, if we get the knockin to go away in his Dodge coupe for the Hillclimb.
    If we can not get his engine quiet, we will be there in my Heap, it is good to have a backup plan.

Binger likes this.
  30. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Garagekulture13- I bought it for a pickup project. A guy made me a pretty good offer on the truck but was planning on going with a flatty, etc.. so I'm sitting here with an o/d I won't use as I'm keeping my roadster drivetrain pretty much stock/ period correct. I've talked to several guys at HRHC that run the Mitchell and they all really like them.

Dannerr likes this.