Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_3319.JPG New lugs welded inside, slant six fork and ball. Had to make a the clutch ball mount 1/2" thick but it all seems to work smoothly and clear! I might make a tin shield to keep mud and rocks out of the clutch. Not sure how most guys cover the open space in the front.

2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Just make a cover out of sheet metal or aluminum , if you don't have a block plate.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That is what I am thinking. The block plate goes behind the adapter, but the one I made it pretty open.

I am thinking of a tin one screwed to the front side of the adapter will be enough.

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It should have a couple of beads rolled in it to give it some rigidity too.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_3379.JPG There must have been a street rodder manual published that stated you must butcher the shit out of the factory x when installing a 350/auto.
    I picked up a much less rusty but streetrodded frame from a buddy. It has a four bar front and 1/4" boxing plates added. (Yuck) The price was right and I think I can can combine the frame I dropped with this one to build one good solid fame with limited pitting and nastiness.

Murph8, rpm56, Nailhead A-V8 and 6 others like this.
  6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

At least they left enough of the X to let you build off that as needed.

slack likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

This is the third frame I have had that was cut this way

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Matt...Beauty is in the parts you have to make fit! And not be tempted to 'order'...

I have hemis, a 354 Chrys. and a 276 DeSoto, both have 'hot rod' aluminum bellhousing adaptors, to '37 LaSalle. One for roadster, other for tub.

I see you have a steel 'scatterproof' bellhousing for Chev., how is the depth for fit on your 833 to DeSoto crank pilot bearing? (is pilot brg. in crank or flywheel?) If 'crank', are you having to machine a 'bushing' or 'sleeve' to extend back to pilot shaft?
    It's really a 'depth question.' Thanks...GREAT thread.

Stogy likes this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Mike.
    I think the depth on the bellhousing will be close. The dodge one with steel adapter is about 7.5" deep. This is about 7.125. It think I will run the pilot in the crank and trim off the giant long end of the dodge trans. I should know in the next couple of weeks. I am pulling the truck apart right now to finalize the frame, motor mounts, trans mount and get the frame ready for final assembly.
    Time to kick this into high gear. I wanna drive it next spring, ugly or not.

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

As long as you get the stance as good as you had the truck looking after all the adjustments, it ain’t gonna be ugly.
    Any plans to make all the cool bits of the six for the hemi? Like the finned air cleaners and Matt brewed headers?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Not as much home brewed stuff but cool none the less. The hemi has the stock for barrel manifold so I modified I to use a modern edelbrock carb. I got a repop stellings air cleaner. A set of Chrysler stainless headers that I am hacking down to fit. The engine will be all dressed in black and chrome.
    And I still have a bunch of other bits to build, shifter, nerf, hood hold downs etc.

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Today felt like a long step backwards.

I have the truck fully pulled apart and ground out all he welds on the frame I stuck together almost four years ago. I used the back section of that frame and the front of another that is not rusted through although it has more pitting. I have the new frame tacked to the old rear legs and it squared up as best I can. This week I am going to hammer down on this and get the thing boxed and welded finally.

For all my dithering, misdirection, and sideways moves I am focused on getting the frame done and in primer before the weather turns .

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Keep at it. My neighbor and his son had to piece 2 frames together too. The back half of theirs was paper. Now it's almost complete.

20190629_115225.jpg

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It's more cramped than it seems.
    I made a cart to roll the cab outside and the front end can be outside as well.

And ya can't see the piles of parts and crap along the back and left hand wall....lol

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_3392.JPG I told you I was cramped!

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Frame it all straightened out and squared up. Just need to finish welding and add the rest of the boxing plates 9605A0E7-390A-40E0-AE18-AF16AC067B2D.jpeg

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1586.JPG Ok where are the guys from the tv shows when ya need em? I wanna drive this in an hour! Lol.

I have the front boxed and finishe welded. And the rear up to the crossmember boxed and partially welded. Spent he weekend eating grinder dust and welding. Might get this part finished up this week. The wife is working 12's at the hospital.

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Did you use the X member from the other frame to box this one? So rad.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Yes I used the straight parts of the old frames X to box this one. I got the curved parts of another X to fix the badly butchered one on this frame.
    The original frame material is high nickel. It welds great, is surprisingly springy and doesn't rust as fast as new material.

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Had a really nice warm fall day here on my tropical island. Probably 18degrees C and no rain. Made for a great day to strip the horrible peeling paint and excess filler off my cab. Not sure why someone would fill the high spots and sand the low spots. It's a lot straighter without all the bondo. And I am happy cause it's black.

Still have to do the inside of the cab and the top of the roof. But the majority is done. IMG_1591.JPG

23. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great work as always! Keep on it.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Battery box mounted, welded and braces installed. Trail gear rock buggy piece I traded for some transfer case parts. I just cut the "TG" out of it.
    I often ponder why when I am hung over and feel like ass my welds turn out great! Cause the rest of the time I seem to be hit and miss.

IMG_1608.JPG

25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Mmmm perfectly good Chevy parts to butcher to fit the hemi!

Mwahahaha....... IMG_1613.JPG

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That did just make me chuckle Mopar Man...:D...or is that Jalopy Joe...ahh it's Dumprat...:eek:

Joking aside I admire the innovation and that is what's always fueled go fast...;)...Giver

It also illustrates knowledge of Machining, Mechanics, Tolerances...your good at this...;)

I'm still chuckling, editing this...:D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Atwater Mike and Jeff34 like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm modifying one for a Pontiac V8 for my Chevy 4. 100_0919.jpg 100_0917.jpg

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1616.JPG Spent the evening building made rear spring bushings? I hope to have the frame back down and the axles back in to set up motor tomorrow.
    I wasted a bunch of time today cutting and grinding the casting flash off the windshield frame for my roadster. I think it has potential.

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1636.JPG My lovely wife has the garage plugged up with furniture she is repainting so no grinding or welding.
    So I spent much of the day fooling with putting the front end and motor bits on to make damn sure that everything is going to fit. And low and behold it does! I do have to move the genny to the passenger side or solder a new top outlet on the road but that is pretty minor.

ratrodrodder, j-jock, Lil'Alb and 9 others like this.
  30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1649.JPG Spent the weekend fooling with fitting pedals and shifter location. I made a miniature 34 pedal box from angles copied off an original. For some reason it mounts the pedals cooked in the frame, so I am going to zip I apart and change the angles slightly. Other than that the pedal position is finally figured.

ratrodrodder, j-jock, Jeff34 and 5 others like this.