Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Power Window???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dann57, Aug 15, 2019.

1. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

I recently purchased power windows for my coupe. I was reading the instructions and they say to make sure that when all the way up the bottom of your glass sits 4" below window opening. Mine only sits about an inch below. Anyone else had this issue, or am I going to need to get new glass ? (32 Plymouth 3 window, specialty power windows)

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

How does it hook to the glass? The 4” is probably insurance that the glass lower channel doesn’t hit the window opening in the door. I hooked mine to the original glass mount, it works like factory. I’d try it before I went and bought longer glass, in fact, you might not even have enough room to get a longer glass in.

3. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

I don't have any of the original stuff for this car, it hooks to the glass by securing the glass in the channel then the channel bolts to the regulator that came with the window kit. From the looks of it , it's not going to work unless I make a 4 " extension on the regulator because there's not enough room it go up that far. The glass only sits about 1/2" below the top of the door when the window is all the way up. Does anyone have access to a regulator and the channel the glass sits in for a 32 Plymouth PB 3 window coupe if so, could you post a picture.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Chop the top 3". That should bring the glass down.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

On a more serious note, try making a temporary masonite window that is taller and see if everything works.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Power windows in a hot rod???

scotty t likes this.
  7. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

It does work but the top of the door gets a lot smaller, I made it out of concrete board . I figured it would be heavy like glass. I would rather have mech windows but parts are not around for this car. No one makes parts for plymouths . Then again that's the fun of it isn't it

scrap metal 48 and fiftyv8 like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There's one of the reasons then, the taper. Having as much parallel glass edge in the channel below will help greatly so it won't rock back and forth. If your still in the template stage I suggest you add 3". You'll be much happier down the road.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I went thru this on my '32 and actually went with 5" below the window. The straight part below the window is what makes the glass stable in the channel. The more straight glass in the channel the less rocking, but it also increases the drag. Find the sweet spot between stable and smooth lift.

dann57 and Hnstray like this.
  10. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

I have a idea that I'd like to run by you all. Instead of buying new glass. If I take a 1/8" plate (steel) and weld it to the bottom of the channel the window sits in, that's 4"tall and wide as the channel then attach the plate to the regulator . I was thinking it should be the same as having a window thats 4" taller. Whats you all's thoughts.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Flat glass is cheap.
    Id stick to the original design instead of adding variables.
    Dont overthink it

Johnny Gee and Hnstray like this.
  12. I did that once, when I found that the window was rocking in the door, as suggested above. I used some 1/4" round stock, bent it so that it came down a few more inches in the run channel. It's not as heavy that way, but worked well.

dann57 likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that would be true for a parallel sided window, but the tapered glass has less friction until almost closed due to the taper not making as much contact on it’s way up and down.

It’s possible the original glass was deeper for that very reason.

Ray

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If the window guides(??) are in place, you could use a service belt attached to the bottom of the window and just pull them up the way stagecoaches' used to do.. I did a few model A's that way...

dann57 likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think it would work. I'd just tack it at first for a trial, if it works, great, if not, then get new longer windows. All you're trying to do is keep the power lift mechanism from hitting the door at full upward travel. I had to shim mine a little to get them to work smooth. Always have to make aftermarket stuff fit, especially if it's a one fits all type deal.

dann57 likes this.
  16. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

Here's what I made up I'll try it tmro when I get a chance

Attached Files:

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  17. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

I added 3 1/2"

18. I used some NORS Regal aftermarket Mopar glass channels to duplicate the early style channels in my '35 Ford 3W. Guessing that Mopar used the down facing extensions to try to stabilize the tapered glass without making the window itself taller.
    1935 Ford 3W Coupe - EARLY STYLE WINDOW CHANNELS.jpg

dann57 and Hnstray like this.
  19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used Speciality Power Windows in my Olds convertible and used stock height glass in it. Whose windows are you using?

20. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

The Glass man Placerville, Ca
    I had a chance to try out the parts I made they work good I appreciate the advice thanks

s55mercury66 likes this.
  21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I’m glad that everything worked out ok

dann57 likes this.
  22. That's good. Thanks for posting the update. The bridge you made looks light, and solid.

dann57 likes this.
  23. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

The power windows kit was speciality like yours , easy to install

24. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

15-horrible-car-repairs.jpg

Johnny Gee, scrap metal 48 and dann57 like this.
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ The battery off of one of those makes a great power source for testing install. Just watch what voltage you have. A few years back it didn't matter.

dann57 likes this.