Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do you deal with this summer heat when driving your hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Tony

Tony

i pop open the cowl vent and windshield, then sweat my ass off getting all the heat off the motor coming in through them along with the hot humid temps, but i do it smiling cause i’m driving my 32 and it sure beats snow!! hahaha

2. The traditional way, roll down the windows open the cowl vent and drive fast....

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

some guys live in areas where they put their rides away for Winter/too cold - some guys live in areas where they put their rides away for Summer/too hot - when air temps are around 100 degrees some types of surfaces can get close to 140 - plus, add in the humidity in some areas and it is time to just call it a day

exterminator and Deuces like this.
  4. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Wow, 50k posts. Man that alot of BS.LOL

5. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

The 1st thing that goes in the car is AC. The Avanti has an 88 Nissan frontier system with the sanden compressor. The Chevy has an under the dash unit . Both systems were great and hardly any money .Being of Italian descent with a pompadour haircut is very important for me to stay out of humidity and heat when my pompadour collapses I have a very short appearance which is not conducive for picking up chicks.

lothiandon1940, vtx1800, weps and 4 others like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I was shortchanged in the height department also..... :(:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 windows down, 2 wind wings open, both front air vents open...Don't get stuck in traffic..

Robert J. Palmer and Deuces like this.
  8. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

been well over 108 for awhile now...only go out for morning drives...get home, put the hotrod away then out again in the F250...hotrods are cool but man, modern comforts in this heat and at my age is really where its at. View attachment 4389861

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    exterminator and Deuces like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    In So Cal, it does get hot in the “Summertime, where the living is easy…” (it just came out, while typing…) My first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, like all sedan deliveries, had the open windows and turn in wind wings. But, the pop up front cowl vent blew everything directly inside for the extra cooling while driving around. That was a big plus.
    upload_2019-8-16_3-50-55.png
    But, we discovered that two things did a lot more for cooling inside of the sedan delivery.

1. My dad got me a couple of wire framed, open weave, mesh material, seat backs for cooling. The approximately 1” thick frame kept the occupant away from the bucket seat backs and allowed the air to circulate behind to cool everyone off. It did work, as long as the flow of air was coming in at a good rate.
    upload_2019-8-16_3-51-36.png
    2. But, we found out that if we took the rear door glass out, the flow of air went completely through the sedan delivery cave and out of the rear window. The only time we got some fumes was when we were waiting at a stop light idling.

CAR #2 1958 Chevy Impala BLACK WITH RED SEATS
    upload_2019-8-16_3-54-24.png
    Since my brother was racing the 58 Impala, he had a Zink Corp. Sure-Fit, clear plastic seat covers on both seats, front and rear. That kept the blue Levis from leaving any residue and to keep the oil infused pants away from the red seat upholstery. People used to laugh at the sight of the clear seat covers. But, we had the cleanest interior of any of our friends’ cruisers and hot rods. In the winter, it was warm, but in the summer, it was hot.

So, a Pep Boys red mesh, cooling seat back was purchased, solving any sweaty backs. By 1965, when the Impala was sold, the new owner said the interior looked brand new without any marks or stains, after the clear covers were taken off.

upload_2019-8-16_3-55-10.png (we found a matching red color at Pep Boys)

Car #3 red 1965 red El Camino

The red El Camino was a true transport vehicle. We needed to carry our desert racing dirt bikes to and from the Mojave Desert almost weekly. The Levis got extremely dirty, so the need for the same Zink Corp. clear plastic seat covers was again, a necessity. Those kept the seats pristine for the next 10 years. My girlfriend/wife thought those clear seat covers were funny feeling, but they kept the red seat upholstery very clean. The new buyer, 10 years later, said the same..."the upholstery looks brand new" comment before he drove off.
    upload_2019-8-16_3-56-50.png
    The front side vents under the dash were good, the side wind wings turned in directed the wind right onto your body. We knew that flying bugs of any kind were going to come in those windows, but cooling was better than bugs.

We got another set of red wire mesh cooling seat backs to do the job of keeping the shirt back area cool. The major problem with these mesh cooling seat backs is that they leave an impression (not a cold one) on your bare back. So, coming home from the beach or wearing a skimpy top of any kind was interesting with the unusual pattern pressed into the skin.

These three choices were done in the era of no A/C and choices had to be made. In the 1965 El Camino, I could have ordered A/C, but it would rob too much HP from the motor selected and get worse gas mileage. Being 20 somethings helped in disregarding some uncomfortable heat and wind.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-8-16_3-57-38.png upload_2019-8-16_3-57-47.png
    Short sleeve, long sleeve, hoodie, multi-color, plain color, no logos showing… the DryUV cooling shirts, are also, specifically made for women, kids and athletics, with or without custom logos. http://www.dryuv.com/saoct.htm

Now, it is A/C on and on some extremely hot days with an outdoor event coming up, we use the DryUV brand shirts. They come in long sleeve and short sleeve to supplement the coolness in the car and under a shade tree. Those shirts are stylish and cool at the same time. They are perfect for roadsters and open convertibles. We usually don’t push name brand items, but, the DryUV brand was at the forefront of the rash of cooling shirts that are now at the popular stores. For us, it has been almost 20 years.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ol-in-a-roadster.1156982/page-2#post-13161696

10. In the Center Door I open the front screen, and all the windows down
    except the little oval rear window.

IMG_3530.jpg

In the COE, the side vents and the front screen, but it still gets quite warm with the dog kennel covering the engine. Plus side to that is its great when it's cold.

fullsizeoutput_b8.jpeg

vtx1800, mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  11. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

The small Japanese cars and pickup trucks have very compact systems. They got 3 components that are bolted together which makes servicing a dream. The one that I installed in the Avanti looks like it belonged there

12. ^^^^^ Very interesting. Got any pics or info?

13. 34Phil

34Phil

Peltier effect shirts are just starting, a couple dissimilar metal plates that get cold when electricity is passed through it. Also can heat. Interesting.

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Haven’t got my ‘32 5 window drivable yet and I don’t plan to have AC in it. It does have a working cowl vent, flip out windshield and roll down back window. Hopefully that works well enough.

My backup plan is the 2007 Mustang GT with only 8,780 miles on it I bought last week. It has AC. Both are hot rods.

SPark

firstinsteele and Deuces like this.
  15. I was going out this morning, but had to replace some alarm wiring in my garage that rodents got to. I'll deal with them later in the week. But 2' of twisted pair wires and 4 solder sleeves later, my alarm is up again. Too hot to ride by then, vacuumed the pool and took a dip, got up to 96 early. I'm going out to a local cruise about 6, it should be cooler by then, only 93 right now...

Deuces likes this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

wind out the screen, open the cowl vent, wind down the windows.if you have welded up the cowl vent live and learn.

Deuces likes this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

have a look at mousetrap monday

bobss396 likes this.
  18. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I will have some pictures for you on Monday. The unit I used was 88 Nissan frontier pickup truck. It's got the heat and air and is cable operated. You need to mount a Sanden compressor. Need to have hoses made up. Use the condenser from the pickup truck. You'll also need some AC vent hose and some vents.I would think at this point a later model unit would be more appropriate I did this years ago and the fittings on the R 12 and hoses are different sizes than the 134 units

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  19. oldsman41

oldsman41

2-55 open 2 windows and roll 55mph. First car i ever owned with air conditioner was a 1978

Robert J. Palmer and nunattax like this.
  20. sunbeam

sunbeam

21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Looks to be slightly bigger than a box of Campfire marshmallows, I don't expect much actual cooling.

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

If it is blowing right on you it dosen't take much even those misters help.

23. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Move somewhere cooler?
    Today it was unusually cool in Montana with highs only in the 60’s. This evening with the garage door open I had to put a sweatshirt on! In two days we’re back in the mid 90’s, just without the killer humidity your dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Well, up here in the north east it still gets hot and humid just not as bad as the southern areas.

When it’s gonna be 90’s and plus I don’t usually go out in the model A but with the windshield tipped out a little the air gets pushed down behind my dash and cools the legs too.

On the plus side, I’ll drive till the snow flies and don’t give two squats about the cold, drove my motorcycle for years like this.

Cliff Ramsdell

25. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I don't, if its too hot to F--CK,LOL

26. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I have tried to post some pictures for you but it won't let me as usual. The next time you go to the junkyard take a look under the dash to the Japanese cars. You'll be able to figure it out for sure

27. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

I roll down the windows, 100 here .

28. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Screw the heat, move to Rochester NY, come Nov 1 the grey clouds of doom roll in til May 1 :D

Deuces and nunattax like this.
  29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

sounds similar to living over here

30. Smiffy

Smiffy

Keep reminding myself I should be grateful it's not the middle of winter. And I can drive with very little on.