Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone Know of This Corvette Gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C1/C2Guy, Aug 15, 2019.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

Done it ….

Do you happen to have another picture of the dash so we could see if there are some identifiers of the car?

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  2. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

IMG_2338.JPG I took this one this morning. I don't think there is any other identifying things on the dash but I will look tonight

3. I just showed my dad (70 year old) this thread.
    He says he remembers seeing this set up in magazines in the mid 60s to the early 70s
    I hope you keep it. I like seeing cars as they were raced.

upload_2019-8-16_19-1-20.png

elgringo71, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Thanks for the heads up but sorry to say I don't recognize the Vette. The Scoop looks like a Modified Production type from that era.

5. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

<3 bad ass

C1/C2Guy likes this.
  6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Any progress on this car???

7. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

No progress yet. I had a few good leads on possible history but all ended up being a dead end.
    I would like to preserve the history if I could find it, but if not, I think I will just try to make a cool period correct car to my liking. It has an Olds 9.3. I have rounded up an NHRA Blow proof bell housing, Muncie, small journal 327 with camels and a Edelbrock Shoe box intake with 660 center squirters. Also a Joe Hunt Magneto and a Moon gas tank, 15x10 rear Ansens etc. I also have a 4 bolt BB with steel crank, Rec port heads etc that would make it a blast to drive!
    The right front fender is damaged and the frame could be tweaked on the front rails from when it went off the track. I may try to get it going with as little work as possible just to show how it was back then, (a car show or two and pics) but I am not a big car show guy. I like to drive them. The car is pretty rough, so I will probably re-do it and freshen it up. I like the look of old patina but this one is pretty rough
    It is on the back burner right now as I am working on my wife's 60. Just got the body back on the frame a week or so ago. As of 10:31:19.JPG

Ragged Edge, Baron, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  8. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Where is elgringo, he has some knowledge on this subject.....

elgringo71 and enloe like this.
  9. Rat Daddio

Rat Daddio

Do you know fellow Utah resident Rex Marshall? (utahvette) He knows all things Corvette and can be a great resource.

Baron and enloe like this.
  10. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Yes, I know Rex very well. He has been up to my shop to look at the car. Still no luck on tracking anything down yet however. Someday maybe

Baron and enloe like this.
  11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great thread. Wish you luck with your search.

seb fontana likes this.
  12. AA/FA 701

AA/FA 701
    from Sonora, CA

Hey there, my names Brett Hankins, just saw this post. Yes my dad is Bob Hankins, and yes he drove the Blue Blazer AA/FA, aswell as the Blue Blazer AA/FC which had 2 forms, a Pinto body which someone mentioned and a vette body. But this body was not his. Ours was a C3 body as shown in the pic I attached. Whats wierd is our name is on this body. Im gonna ask him if he knows what that is. Maybe something I dont know about, but I dont think so. Id like to ask whoever posted about the pinto body being in a collection in the bay area? Id LOVE to see it, and possibly buy it for my own collection. As you can see in my avatar photo, thats the new recreation of his old car, which he built 100% and i drove to a best of 6.504@216mph. Ill keep an eye on this post to see what turns up. if anyone has info on the pinto FC body PLEASE PM me or contact me, 209-743-3100. THANKS Brett

Offset, Budget36, Todd553 and 7 others like this.
  13. AA/FA 701

AA/FA 701
    from Sonora, CA

Whos got the info on our old Pinto F/C body ? love to atleast see it, but really love to own it and bring it home!! please lemme know if youve got any info. Thanks Brett Hankins

loudbang, Baron and Deuces like this.
  14. Wow....awesome how things work out..hope the original poster still has the car

loudbang and Baron like this.
  15. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Just jumpin in with a thought. “Function at the Junction” May have referred to @ song of the 60’s or 70’s that was a popular tune here on the right coast. Jus sayin.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  16. That info came from a site called "70sfunnycars.com" , it mentions Bill Duke and sounds like the body location may of came from him. It appears he posts on a few drag race sites.

loudbang likes this.
  17. AA/FA 701

AA/FA 701
    from Sonora, CA

yea I see that, I didn't realize that was from an older site. We heard its in Oregon. Anyways love to find out who the "hankins" on that vette is. keep me posted. thanks

loudbang and Baron like this.
  18. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Thanks to all for your input...
    Brett, I wish you the best in finding your old car. I'm sure it would be great to have it back in the family again. Did your dad know anything about my 56?

enloe likes this.
  19. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

I have started doing some work on my 56. I hadn't noticed before, but on the pass fender at the end of "Profile In Black" is I assume, the signature of the guy that did the lettering. "Virgil" Anyone know who "Virgil" is? IMG_3504.JPG

20. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Hello Everyone, It has been almost three years since I posted on here last. I thought you might enjoy getting an update on this car. I got some really great suggestions from you all on trying to track down the history on this car but unfortunately nothing panned out. The good news however is I did finish the car just over a year ago. (if you can consider any car project done. At least mine never seem to be 100% done);). The first part of August 2023, my wife and I took the car to a car show at the Nugget Hotel in Wendover in conjunction with Speed Week. There we met Brandan Gillogly, a photographer for Hagerty. He did a photo shoot and story on this car. Brandan is an awesome guy and was super great to work with. His story can be found online if any of you would like to check it out.
    https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-p...do-you-recognize-this-vintage-corvette-racer/

21. Hello C1 C2, I love the thread on the car you did a great job on putting the car back to running condition, I'm a gasser freak myself so I find your thread awesome. I love the way you keep the car in it's somewhat state of originality, the photo shoot is great too. I have a 1961 Chevy Biscayne which I build in the early gasser form, big springs, ball joint spacers, small block ,4 speed, 5 spokes Keystones original patina, aluminum door panels, just a fun driver, we are going to name it, decal it, I should do a thread on it be just haven't. I also own a 1938 Willys factory 2 door all steel sedan it's not a completed car yet but have been working on it off and on, it's a rolling chassis ready for floors and then the body will be ready to go onto the frame, it will be small block, 4 speed, 9 inch rear, ladder bars 5 spoke ET wheels, going to leave it in it's original patina, it has a ways to go before it a driver. If you pick my avatar there are a couple particular build threads on the Willys, check them out. I just wanted to comment on your car and how Cool it looks bet its fun too drive, my name is Tony, enjoyed your thread and will be watching for more if any, good luck on the history. Later be safe!!!!

Offset likes this.
  22. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Thanks Tony, Glad you enjoyed it. I checked out your Willys. It is a really cool project! I love Patina cars! It is nice not having to worry about getting a scratch or whatever. Good luck with your cars. Enjoy them and drive the wheels off of them:)

23. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

This is what the car looked like when I first got it July 2017.
    upload_2023-9-15_9-5-26.jpeg

Trying to repair the damage and not destroy the patina was a challenge.
    This is how it looks now in 2023
    upload_2023-9-15_9-7-38.jpeg

24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looks good Larry- I am sure you will have fun with it.

C1/C2Guy, enloe and lumpy 63 like this.
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great job ! Glad you saved it.

C1/C2Guy and enloe like this.
  26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great job on saving the Corvette, and also saving the look of it as raced!

elgringo71 and C1/C2Guy like this.